Il Padrino

Has Anyone Moved To Samplitude From Cubase?

Hi all

Am considering moving here from having used Cubase for years.

For anyone that has, can you give some advice on what will be hard to get used to, cross grading options, is midi substantially less in capability that Cubase SX?

Any advice or views from anyone would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Il Padrino

Im in the process of doing that. I used SX2/3 for a while and have recently jumped to Classic 8.31, hoping to have 9 soon. :o

The audio sounds so much better I could hardly believe it. Midi functions pretty much the same.

Midi timing is a windows issue, not the sequencers. and I havent heard anything about midi in vista yet.

Do I prefer Samplitude (with learning curve) over Cubase(no learning curve)? Yes

Pros.

1. Better audio engine

2. Comparrisonic colors ( I use this all the time )

3. Midi is the same and 9 has a score editor

4. Pitch shifting / Time stretching....You wouldnt believe how easy it is in Sam.

5. Mixer....so much easier and user firendly for me..

cons.

1. Seems to be a gui bug in how the waveforms are drawn....a lag of somekind when you have a window on top and move it around.

2. .......I dont know yet :unsure:

I have not done extensive editing yet but it looks to be very similar so yopu shouldnt have to worry.

DX is not going anywhere either, DX10 was going to be called chrome, and they were going to drop all support of older dx code but windows stopped that idea. So other sequencers calling dx "legacy"......is befuddling.

Im in the process of doing that. I used SX2/3 for a while and have recently jumped to Classic 8.31, hoping to have 9 soon. :D

The audio sounds so much better I could hardly believe it. Midi functions pretty much the same.

Midi timing is a windows issue, not the sequencers. and I havent heard anything about midi in vista yet.

Do I prefer Samplitude (with learning curve) over Cubase(no learning curve)? Yes

Pros.

1. Better audio engine

2. Comparrisonic colors ( I use this all the time )

3. Midi is the same and 9 has a score editor

4. Pitch shifting / Time stretching....You wouldnt believe how easy it is in Sam.

5. Mixer....so much easier and user firendly for me..

cons.

1. Seems to be a gui bug in how the waveforms are drawn....a lag of somekind when you have a window on top and move it around.

2. .......I dont know yet ;)

I have not done extensive editing yet but it looks to be very similar so yopu shouldnt have to worry.

DX is not going anywhere either, DX10 was going to be called chrome, and they were going to drop all support of older dx code but windows stopped that idea. So other sequencers calling dx "legacy"......is befuddling.

dr.funk

Thanks for the reply :) We've both been contributing to the DX fiasco over at cubase.net I notice. I felt it would cause a problem there with certain people had I asked the question of Samplitude experience at such a sensitive time. Partly why I am interested in Samplitude also!

Wish I had got a good deal like you had mentioned :)

Sounds promising from what you have described above.

My main concern is the use of VST instruments, which I do use a lot of. Or should I say I use them often.

Do you have any experience so far in this division, so to speak?

Thanks dr.funk

PS> Username on c.net is Il Padrone B)

Ah, I thought that was you! :)

yeah it handles vsti's just fine, so far at least. :)

Running, HALion 3, Emu-X 1.5.2, Colossus, BFD and a few others...

Since im running Classic I dont yet know how many I can run as my projects are simple...

1 instance of HALion could do me just fine! ;)

But yeah, as I know more, Ill inform you...

Good to know!

I may try the demo then and see how I get on this weekend. If I do switch, I hope for a cross grade offer somewhere, or sell a limb or two : :)

Am itching to hear the audio quality difference, is it that noticable? I didn't think it could be when you got into the digital world.. still they say it is.

Thanks again.

Il Padrino

it does sound noticeably better. :)

And like a said, the timestretching and pitchshifting beats the snot out of cubase...Its so easy..I hate having to go into another screen/window for the one single track and then have to calculate crap...

Samplitude on the track properties, right there gives me the options and man, its awsome...

get Pro 8 or 9. its expensive, but it givbes you elastic audio...so its melodyne...only better! :)

"Midi timing is a windows issue, not the sequencers. and I havent heard anything about midi in vista yet.

"

I don't know about this one.. The midi in cubase sucks! I Just purchased samplitude se 8.3 and im sold.. Everything sounds and works SO much better than cubase. The midi is very tight(for me at least) and I can mix audio right along side vsti's. The audio sounds amazing, even better than the protools le setup I have. I am going to buy 9.0 standard as soon as I save some money. I have been a samplitude user for only 2 weeks and already have forgoten about cubase 4.

side note: Midi in samplitude is the tightest I have ever heard on my pc. I am running a 1212m on a 2.8 p4. Cubase sl is also installed and the same midi file triggering the same vsti sounds very different. Thanks Magix for a great product.

I've been a Cubase user since 1991, but now I think SX 3 is the last piece of Steinberg software I'm gonna buy. Samplitude sure looks promising. How is it performance-wise, compared to SX 3?

With the ASIO engine, Sam and SX are in the same league performance-wise, but Sam's Hybrid Engine offers modes which allow you to run significantly more tracks or instances of VST Instruments, then with a little higher latency. Still, you can record/monitor to be recorded VST-Instruments/FX live with low latency by switching the record track to monitoring. Here Sam has a great performance advantage.

Greetings,

Frank

....which allow you to run significantly more tracks or instances of VST Instruments, then with a little higher latency. Still, you can record/monitor to be recorded VST-Instruments/FX live by switching the record track to monitoring. Here Sam has a great performance advantage.

Greetings,

Frank

Hi Frank

Can I ask what you mean with a higher latency? Do you mean when playing or recording/real time, you have a higher latency, so that disappears on mixing etc. as you are monitoring?

Regards

Il Padrino

hey padre'

I think I get what Frankie's talkin about. with the standard ASIO engine, in Sam you can run more tracks/plugins then SX on an equivalent machine..project...the like. Maybe a trade off is just a little more latency...

but I think theres an advantage in SAM when it comes to direct monitoring vsti's while recording, playback,editing.

I think, otherwise, Im retarded and need to take the short bus to school. :)

Yes, I edited and clarified my post above.. for monitoring, you can switch the track to low latency mode. Basically you can have high latency (economy) and low latency (monitoring) tracks at the same time in a project. This offers a big potential to save CPU.

You need low latency for live monitoring within Samplitude or VSTi playing live or automation recording with external hardware. For mixing itself, a latency of about 200ms is usually no problem, but the CPU is much more relaxed then.

Greetings,

Frank

Hi all.

Dr Funk, you may remember me from the Cubase forum.

I was SLAMMED in there for suggesting that Samplitude sounds better.

It was the cut down version in Computer Music that got me interested in Samplitude. I had a go of it and it sounded much better than Cubase to me. Anyway, I was told I was talking complete rubbish and banned from the forum.

I am now interested in buying the Samp 8.

What I want to know is: When you save a project in Samplitude, does it also save the current settings of any VST's and VSTi's in the project? I've heard that it doesn't save them and when you re-open the project all VSTs will be at their default settings. Can anyone help on this please??

Cheers

PS. Good to see you again Dr Funk.

Hey guys. I have been using SAM since 98. I breifly switched to cubase and came back 6 months later (that definately says something). The only thing that I miss in SAM that cubase has is some means of reliably quantizing audio, and ability to route midi internally.

The major issue I and various other SAM owners have is despite the general quality of the app there are bugs that go un dealt with, with no reason given from version to version. Everyone was excited about Elastic Audio when it first came out in 8, but there are many that have paid the upgrade price to move over to 9 and they are reporting it still isint useable. I would recomend holding off on a purchase of 9 for the time being as it appears there are some kinks that need to get worked out that have been show stoppers for a few users.

Hi all.

Dr Funk, you may remember me from the Cubase forum.

I was SLAMMED in there for suggesting that Samplitude sounds better.

It was the cut down version in Computer Music that got me interested in Samplitude. I had a go of it and it sounded much better than Cubase to me. Anyway, I was told I was talking complete rubbish and banned from the forum.

I am now interested in buying the Samp 8.

What I want to know is: When you save a project in Samplitude, does it also save the current settings of any VST's and VSTi's in the project? I've heard that it doesn't save them and when you re-open the project all VSTs will be at their default settings. Can anyone help on this please??

Cheers

PS. Good to see you again Dr Funk.

Hey welcome GJ,

I come form the land of cubase as well.. Yea all VST(i) saving are always saved with the VIP , just like SX. I think all host do this now.. not to worry :(

Best , Rich

Hey all, been busy and stuff. Hi GJ. yeah the cubase forum is a silly place. and YES, Sam sounds better, clearer at least.

I just got my classic 9 upgrade and so far I havent used everyfeature, but I am really diggin it.

I havent yet had vst/vsti preset issues with opening/closing VIP's . maybe its sporadic?

Hey GJ, youll love the remix / timestretching / pitchshifting in SAM, its so much easier to do in sam then sx. recently needed to do a shaker loop in a hip hop session, nothing matched the tempo so I dropped in a house tempo shaker loop and went from 135BPM to 93 BPM and you CANT tell. its that good, and all I did was slow the loops tempo, make my cuts where I needed, and bam..KILLIN!

the guys here are friendly, helpful and knowledgable.

Its worth it to go at least classic for the remixing alone. :(

Hi all,

I am another Cubase defector. I used it for years and liked it a lot. I was about to ugrade to SX3 last year when I heard someone on the Cubase forums talk about Samp's clear and transparent sound. Well, I tried the demo and decided to go for it and buy V8 Pro. I am now on V9. I do not miss Cubase one iota. I absolutely love Samp. It has the sound and features that I always wanted. The plugins are actually usable to boot! You cannot beat variverb!

Go for it! And tell your buddies back at the Cubase forum to go for it too! :(

Cheers.

At the moment on the samplitude se, the built in effects don't seem to be in the signal path when I switch them on. The delay on the samplitude mixer for example. When I switch it on, it shows as on but you can't hear it. Also, when I try to use a vst instrument, the output does not seem to go through the master buss.

As you know, it's quite a bit different than Cubase in terms of the mixer setup.

Any tips?

Cheers

GJ

VSTi: the output does not seem to go through the master buss.

It does in Mixer monitoring mode, the default mode for VSTi, but only available since V9.

If you play the VSTi live in software monitoring mode (not hybrid mode) its signal isn't in the master meters and is just affected by the master volume faders.

In short: I suggest to go for V9 and its hybrid engine to work with VSTi, especially if you are coming from another VST host DAW.

Here is the longer and maybe little difficult explanation:

In V8 you can apply Master track effects only while playing back non-monitoring VSTi (e.g. Master EQ and insert fx). In software monitoring mode, you can at least apply track fx, but still no master fx.

This is quite complex and may seem unecessary complicated, but you get huge performance advantages out of this scheeme, since the other non-monitoring tracks (audio and MIDI-VSTi playback) can be processed with larger buffers while you still have low latency for recording a VSTi with live monitoring.

Nevertheless, since a lot of users would like to have Master fx on the monitored VSTi also (just as you would expect with a real hardware mixer), since V9 you have hybrid which is the most similar routing as you know it from other VST Host DAWs.. But samplitude's hybrid feature is quite unique: you can still choose which tracks to process with higher latency, running parallel with the low latency (live monitoring) tracks. This way you can balance the cpu load in case if cpu power becomes an issue (and nearly in each production you reach the point where this happens :( ). All routing/monitoring possibilites of V8 are still available within the V9 engine though.

Greetings,

Frank

Frank, thanks for taking time out to reply. I think I understand.

So when I play a vsti live it wont show in the masterbuss.

When I playback the recorded vsti it will go through the master buss. Do I have this correct?

If so, this would not be a problem as I don't need master fx as I'm tracking stuff anyway.

Say I want a delay (the built in samplitude mixer delay) on a track while I play a vsti live. Is this possible?

Basically I want to be playing my V-Station live and hearing the effects on it real time.

Please tell me this can be done. At the moment, I'm switching on the delay on the V-Station track but it's doing nothing.

How close is the "hybrid" thing in version 9 to the way Cubase works?

Thanks for your help.

I think the hybrid engine is a shot above the cubase engine..

Now to go back one step..in 8 to hear fx and stuff I would solo the channels/tracks..that seemed to work.

Hey Frank..is there a planned demo of 9? As this would really encourage quite few fustrated cubase owners to switch :(

OK. I'm getting there now with SE. I've got the effects working and I understand about the vstis and master buss now. Thanks.

What is frustrating me now is that even with snap to grid switched on, the "cut" tool does not seem to snap to the bars. If I move an object the snap works just fine but the cut tool cursor is just free. Any tips??

The other thing is the scrolling. Is ther a way in Samplitude of making the cursor stationary on playback and have the project scroll past you rather than have the cursor move along the project window?

Thanks again for your help guys.

hi,

The other thing is the scrolling. Is ther a way in Samplitude of making the cursor stationary on playback and have the project scroll past you rather than have the cursor move along the project window?

I think it's in Play Options, you can active Page Scroll or Soft Scroll, as you want, but Soft Scroll is mor harder for the CPU, I think.

cheers

Phil

What is frustrating me now is that even with snap to grid switched on, the "cut" tool does not seem to snap to the bars.

Yes, that's annoying. I suggest to draw a range or place the play cursor (here the snap works ok) and then press "T" to cut the object instead of using the scissor tool.

A V9 demo should be done, but currently the 9.01 update is more important.

Greetings,

Frank