bill bokey

Best System For Samplitude 9 ?

hello :D

I am a guitarist and record demos at home. I use VSTis (ezdrummer, elektrik piano, B4) and Amplitube 2 (for test guitar tracks)

I have 30-50 tracks on my songs. (can be more)

I want to get samplitude 9 and the best system for it.

I have a Presonus Firepod, but can get another one if that's not good enough. opinions ?

as I don't know much about computer stuff, can anyone please help me find the right equipment ?

I read this :

http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...showtopic=10870

if there is nothing to add, then I will go with it. I have always used AMDs but do Intels work better ?

a friend of mine mentionned Raptor disks and Raid 5. do I need that ?

thanks in advance for your help :P

Dont worry about raptors and raid 5. your building or buying a pc for audio not a video renderer or a data center. :D

Im using the amd am2 setup

3800+

3 gigs ddr2 553

couple of 250 gig sata drives

2 dvd burners

gaming graphics....for half life 2 :D

E-mu 1820M audio card :D

the intel core duo has proven to be faster, but it is a little more expensive after the amd price drop.

either cpu will be good. its worth it to note the quad cores are starting to come out, from both amd and intel....and vista is comming out soon..which I have been running and have refused to go back to xp :P

ask around, youll be fine.

Mike

ok, thanks. :D

a few more questions :

will samplitude 9 work with Vista ? or what's the best OS for sam 9 ?

will sam9 work better/faster with a quadcore cpu ?

any opinions on the Firepod ?

Not superlative, but at least very good...pres decent enough, AD and DA work well...trouble free unit...used one for quite a while for remotes, and they produce excellent results...knobs a bit flakey, but protecting them should present no problems...

Huge bang for the buck....

Well, I consider Enterprise HDs as very useful for Audio Production. Raid5 on a Client system is maybe a little over the top, but HDs are stressed utmostely when doing Audio. Enterprise discs just are more endurable.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Well, I consider Enterprise HDs as very useful for Audio Production. Raid5 on a Client system is maybe a little over the top, but HDs are stressed utmostely when doing Audio. Enterprise discs just are more endurable.

Cheers,

Sebastian

thanks sebastian.

is this it ?

http://www.memoryxsun.com/x5240a.html

or this one ?

http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/topstory/001374

Not superlative, but at least very good...pres decent enough, AD and DA work well...trouble free unit...used one for quite a while for remotes, and they produce excellent results...knobs a bit flakey, but protecting them should present no problems...

Huge bang for the buck....

actually, the owner of the firepod I am currently using is no longer selling it.

as I have to buy a new one do you have any recommendation or should I get a Firepod ?

The new perpendicular drives give good performance too. check out seagate.

I have a few raptors and yeah theyre quick, but they are loud too. :D

SAS is more workstation server based, but Ill go that route once I can get a quiet enough system, and a new dual socket f board.

As for Vista. almost everything I have now has native vista drivers. Vista has been super stable for me and I have been running it since beta 2. Is Samplitude optimized for vista? I dont think any daw right now, save for sonar 6.01 truly is, but thats because cakewalk is kinda a ms buttkisser :D

What we'll need is a tweak vista for audio site like tweakxp. there are some out there but no articles yet that I know of for audio production.

make sure you get a good graphics card...the gui is totally run off the gpu, which frees up cpu cycles for audio dsp now :P

the gui is totally run off the gpu

The GUI is only bitmaps with some alpha channel. That is not a task you need a powerful GPU for. There is also no boost coming from the GPU. The best GUI boost you will get from a multi-core system, as the GUI is a separate thread.

What you need is a card with a good driver and good attachement architecture. But I'd claim that even Intel Extreme Graphics are good enough for that job.

Cheers,

Sebastian

ok, I'll have a look at these.

thx dr.funk

actually, the owner of the firepod I am currently using is no longer selling it.

as I have to buy a new one do you have any recommendation or should I get a Firepod ?

any suggestions on a soundcard ? (4-8 mic inputs) :D

The difference of Enterprise Disks to normal Desktop Disks is not so much performance in Bytes/s, and Noise, but more as durability of mechanical parts, ability to withstand constant operation, lower defects on data carrier, increased MTTF (MeanTimeToFailure) in operating hours.

Cheers,

SG

The difference of Enterprise Disks to normal Desktop Disks is not so much performance in Bytes/s, and Noise, but more as durability of mechanical parts, ability to withstand constant operation, lower defects on data carrier, increased MTTF (MeanTimeToFailure) in operating hours.

Cheers,

SG

thx seb :D

to make sure I understood : entreprise = raptor ? just a different make ?

regarding soundcards, is an RME Fireface 800 better quality than the Firepod Presonus ?

regarding soundcards, is an RME Fireface 800 better quality than the Firepod Presonus ?

hi bill,

rme soundcards are recommended by sam-support.

cheers, andy

hi bill,

rme soundcards are recommended by sam-support.

cheers, andy

ok andy, cheers ! :D

I will get a Fireface 800 then.

rock on !

Bill

My Query below is

Up until a week ago I have been using (as a hobbyist) Samplitude 6 producer, with RME's Fireface 800 on my Compaq XA1010ca laptop,

I know I've never made my system work beyond the laptops ability, (I've come close!) most of my projects never exceed more than 20 tracks, (Singer songwriter kinda stuff).

So by a twist of fate I've received Samplitude 9 from my Local RME Dealer,which I've now installed onto my Compaq, knowing very well it is underpowered! being 3 years old!!!!

but I was curious, I must say it looks very different, I kinda got attached to the layout with sam 6,)

Anyway as I'm not a heavy track user and likely staying in the "Hobbyist" realm, would I be going down the wrong path by just upgrading to the latest Dell PC Duo Core for the $1000ish CDN. because that is now the limits to my Budget, as the wife is now saying that unless I can generate some serious revenue from my Hobby.......ect ect.

basically I want to update from My laptop to a PC with a much bigger screen.