Sign in to follow this  
dwall

Undo Issues

Has anyone else been having Undo issues? I am. For example, I change an automation point, decide to undo it, hit Ctrl+z and it's undone, but then several other past things are also undone (like entering and naming new tracks, any comments I've added during that session, any Aux routing that session) and other past things don't get undone. It seems totally random. Hitting "redo" may or may not be available in these instances, but usually it only redoes the thing I was actually trying to undo. All the undone past stuff remains undone and is not in the undo history. Other times redo isn't even available: it's grayed out.

Also, I hit undo for an automation point change yesterday and along with it it lowered the volume entirely of another track. This was really strange because it was not something I had ever done before. Redo was available in this instance, so I could hit "redo" and "undo", back and forth, watching the other track lose it's volume as well. I could definitely see these two things being undone and redone, one of them totally random.

Undo should only undo the last action taken, and not suddenly make all of my bus and aux tracks lose their names, or, as happened a couple of days ago, half of the editing I did on a track disappeared, and there was no "redo" option.

Anyway, what I do now is save my project before hitting undo, and when these things happen, I close and reopen. Any chance for a solution?

-Dan

hi dan,

if you are using version 9.01: what are your Undo-Settings in the Systemoption?

Maybe there lies the problem.

i tried the things you describe and there were no problem in un- and redoing lot of things.

cheers, andy

Yeah, I'm using 9.01. I haven't checked my undo settings, (I can't now cuz I'm not at home), but I will check them. However, I can't imagine there's a setting to undo things at random from earlier in the session. I'd be willing to bet my undo settings are normal. Just last night I was working on a mix where if I ever undid any automation points on any track one of the reverb plugins on a particular aux return would go crazy within the actual plugin (the room simulator), and all the setting would change back to something I'd done hours previously, and my other aux return would turn off, and there was no redo available. The undo's seem to be affecting aux tracks more than others. Anyway, I stopped hitting undo for automation, but accidentally hit it a couple of times because it's so second nature to me, and would have to close and restart the project, and after a couple of times of doing that I started getting bad error messages and would not be able to save the project normally and would have to do a save project as.

I love the program, by the way, but there are some serious glitches that I've gotten with the original and updated version. I'm sure they'll all get smoothed out over time. I still like it more than Cubase SX!

Hi Dan,

Some actions in Samplitude aren't added to the Undo history,

such as naming a track, inserting a VST and some others.

Whenever you need to keep what you've just done (provided

it's something that isn't added to the history), just mute and

unmute a track and you're set. This will add a 'Button/Fader'

action to the undo history and you wont get any surprises.

Yes, it is a workaround but it's fast if you assign a hotkey to

the mute command, and it's of course *only* needed if you

do some edits that may be undone directly after performing

an action that isn't added to the Undo history.

Regards,

Tobben

Hi Dan,

Some actions in Samplitude aren't added to the Undo history,

such as naming a track, inserting a VST and some others.

Whenever you need to keep what you've just done (provided

it's something that isn't added to the history), just mute and

unmute a track and you're set. This will add a 'Button/Fader'

action to the undo history and you wont get any surprises.

Yes, it is a workaround but it's fast if you assign a hotkey to

the mute command, and it's of course *only* needed if you

do some edits that may be undone directly after performing

an action that isn't added to the Undo history.

Regards,

Tobben

Thanks for the tip, though I'm not sure how that relates to my issue. I'm not referring to undoing track naming or adding VST's etc....I'm referring to the undoing of object and automation edits, especially automation edits. For example, recently I was editing a hihat part. I performed an edit I didn't like. I hit "Undo". It undid that edit as well as about an hour's worth of editing before that edit. And there was no "Redo" option available. It was grayed out in the pull-down menu. I had to close and reopen (I save often). The problem usually occurs when I undo an automation edit. It will screw with my VST's and aux Sends, such as removing them all or they all go blank and become unnamed (defaulting to their original "aux 1" "aux 2" type names). Just from hitting "undo" once. Sometimes redo is available, and I'll hit "redo" and may or may not get all my aux tracks back. Once I just set hitting "undo" "redo" and watched all these aux tracks I'd assigned days ago disappearing and reappearing along with my edit.

Sometimes hitting "undo" will randomly change the settings inside my VST effect, I assume to an earlier setting when I first set it up.

Also, I noticed that sometimes when I hit undo, tracks closer to the bottom of the project randomly change their names to "Master", and I'll end up with two or three tracks called "Master".

Weird.

Thanks,

-Dan

I'm not referring to undoing track naming or adding VST's etc....

Track naming was an example of actions that are not added to the undo

history. IOW, if you e.g split an object right after naming a track and

then undo the split operation - then you'll lose the track naming as well.

For example, recently I was editing a hihat part. I performed an edit I didn't like. I hit "Undo". It undid that edit as well as about an hour's worth of editing before that edit. And there was no "Redo" option available.

I've never seen anything like that. It's definitely not normal behaviour,

and it's not a known issue. I'd try moving the file Sam9_E.ini out of the

program folder. Samplitude will rebuild a fresh ini on next program start.

If that doesn't help, I'd move the original ini file back and contact the

support by email.

Regards,

Tobben

I understood your tip about naming not going in the undo history, I was just pointing out that I wasn't having any problems with that necessarily, but it is good to know.

I'll try the .ini thing, thanks. It only started happening a week or so ago, so maybe something got corrupted in there.

Thanks,

-Dan

Old Post, but found a new solution.

While having the same issue in Samplitude version 2016, we found that a work around was using the Ctrl - Z shortcut.

It will do an undo of one item at a time.

At least it did for us.