SEA

What Does Cubase Users Want Most In Samplitude?

I'm a Cubase user for the past 3 plus years. All I have ever used except Cool Edit Pro like 9 years ago.

Anyway... I'm probably going to get Samplitude 9 Professional crossgrade soon (if the price is right) so I can dive into it with both feet and learn what it can and can't do compared to SX 3.1

Currently I do everything in VST so I'm very quick with the mid in SX 3.1 and I'm used to the work flow.

But it seems to me what I hear MOST about Samplitude vs. SX 3.1 is that the gui doesn't look as cool and the midi still not as good as SX 3.1

So SX users! For those who are SERIOUSLY thinking about going to Samplitude 9 PRO (even as a secondary DAW vs. SX 3.1) Let's make a list of what WE would want most and perhaps MAGIX can makes some of our "WISH LIST" come true! :D

Ok... I'll go first!

1. How about a gui that looks a bit more pro

2. A few more pro plugs from 3rd party developers like WAVES thrown in?

Anyone else?

Jamie (SEA) :lol:

I'm a Cubase user for the past 3 plus years. ... I'm probably going to get Samplitude 9 Professional crossgrade soon (if the price is right)

Don't delay, though, as the special £300 crossgrade price for S9-Pro only lasts until the end of Feb.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Here are my answers.

For number 1.

Having made the jump to Samplitude 9 Professional, I am rather fond of the default skin. However, if you don't like it, it is skinnable. Some of the fine members of this forum have offered skins for free, and there are also skins for sale. For instance, from here:

http://shop.synthax.com/index.php?cPath=21...d04376d7962de2e

So this has already been addressed.

For number 2.

The plugs included with Samplitude are pretty kick @ss. I am curious, have you tried them? They are far superior to the bundled offerings from Yamaberg. Given Waves reputation for being hard to deal with, asking Magix to bundle Waves plugins with Samplitude is like asking them to walk on fire.

A developer has already posted and said that Magix is committed to enhancing the MIDI capabilities of the program. Given Magix' track record for keeping their word, I am convinced that they will deliver in a grand fashion.

Coming from Steinberg, I am used to being treated like a hump and ignored. It's different here, and I like it. However, I don't think it is right for me to start making feature requests until I have taken a few months to really get under the hood of the product. Just my opinion.

Coming from Steinberg, I am used to being treated like a hump and ignored. It's different here, and I like it. However, I don't think it is right for me to start making feature requests until I have taken a few months to really get under the hood of the product. Just my opinion.

Thanks Ric for your reply!

You are right about what you said! Us Cubase users need to work with if for a bit and then start asking! :D

However, I was perhaps addressing those who have used it for a bit.

I am definitely planning on ordering the crossgrade soon! $399 usd is a deal to me!

Say... what do I need to get it? I have SX 3.1 manual around here somewhere. I hear that I need to send a copy of it or something.

Thanks guys,

Jamie :lol:

P.S. Anyone else who has used Samp 9 Pro for a bit and would like to chime in?

You are right about what you said! Us Cubase users need to work with if for a bit and then start asking! :D

I am definitely planning on ordering the crossgrade soon! $399 usd is a deal to me!

Say... what do I need to get it? I have SX 3.1 manual around here somewhere. I hear that I need to send a copy of it or something.

Thanks guys,

The best way to get the details is from the source. I would recommend giving my man Jeff Peterson at synthax (U.S. & Canada distributor) a call. He is right friendly chap and has the full knowledge.

Here is his phone:

330.259.0308 x107

I will PM you his full contact details, as posting it here would make him susceptible to spam bots.

Thanks guys,

The best way to get the details is from the source. I would recommend giving my man Jeff Peterson at synthax (U.S. & Canada distributor) a call. He is right friendly chap and has the full knowledge.

Here is his phone:

330.259.0308 x107

I will PM you his full contact details, as posting it here would make him susceptible to spam bots.

The synthax.com website still says $599 for x-grade to sam pro?

and the synthax.ca (canada) website doesn't even have an online shop. How can us Canadians get the super duper x-grade deal?

cheers

rich

Note that the workflow in other hosts MAY create habits that will actually slow you down in Samplitude!

I find that I can work MUCH faster in Samp. - especially with custom hotkey functionality.

Also, the synthax skins kick ass!

Greg

Note that the workflow in other hosts MAY create habits that will actually slow you down in Samplitude!

I find that I can work MUCH faster in Samp. - especially with custom hotkey functionality.

Also, the synthax skins kick ass!

Greg

Exactly, that is why I think I need to spend 3 months (or more) with the program to learn its workflow and its methods before I make feature requests.

Samplitude's approach is, in many ways, different from Cubase. Before I can make a serious suggestion for product improvement, I have to have, at the very least, a workingman's knowledge of the product.

I find that I can work MUCH faster in Samp.

Ain't that the truth. Steinberg invent VSTis and then how do they impliment it in SX? Call up VST Instruments menu - select VSTi - select channel for VSTi - open mixer - select audio output for VSTi - even if you've already selected a track you have to now assign the MIDI. Cripes!

Already i found (without the manual) on Samplitude, you select the track - you can see all the options there, audio dest, select a VSTI and it automatically realises that (surprisingly - not) you want to control the VSTi and changes the MIDI for you. Simple.

Hey someone might even have made an SX skin, you never know :D .

Hey someone might even have made an SX skin, you never know :D

So when you make a skin... it's not just the size and colors, but it's the way the whole thing looks like... you could make it to look like Cubase, Logic, PT, etc.?

Jamie

you could make it to look like Cubase, Logic, PT, etc.?

Thats right . There's a guy on the forum who's customized his skin to look more like the Logic arrange page colorwise . So I'm sure it would be possible to create one similar to Cubase , thats the beauty of skinning .

Thats right . There's a guy on the forum who's customized his skin to look more like the Logic arrange page colorwise . So I'm sure it would be possible to create one similar to Cubase , thats the beauty of skinning .

Cubase's color scheme is downright hideous. Dressing Samplitude up in Cubase colors is like putting a straw hat on a thoroughbred.

If you haven't visited the site and set your country, the link won't work

goto

http://www.synthax.com

It will prompt you to select your country.

Once that is done, move your mouse over the shop link at the top of the page and select Buy Online.

On the left hand side, select skins.

You can choose on or choose 'em all.

Ok these are the things I would like to see.

1. For some reason my BFD meters do not go on with Samplitude demo.

2. There is no automation button on every plug in. This is a real pain. I asked if you can do this and I have yet to try out the way I was told.

There is no bypass effect button on 3rd party plug ins like Cubase. Why is this?

4. I am not sure if you can, but I have not seen where you can put a hardware piece inside Samplitude and add it as an effect.

5. The mixer looks two dimensional, while Cubase's screen looks 3 dimensional.

6. Mackie Controller face plate over the buttons.

In Cubase you can run two mixers at once. I minimzie all the effects, etc. Then I have 14 on the first mixer, and 14 on the second mixer below it on the one screen. Then the arrange page is on my second screen.

Ok these are the things I would like to see.

1. For some reason my BFD meters do not go on with Samplitude demo.

2. There is no automation button on every plug in. This is a real pain. I asked if you can do this and I have yet to try out the way I was told.

There is no bypass effect button on 3rd party plug ins like Cubase. Why is this?

4. I am not sure if you can, but I have not seen where you can put a hardware piece inside Samplitude and add it as an effect.

5. The mixer looks two dimensional, while Cubase's screen looks 3 dimensional.

6. Mackie Controller face plate over the buttons.

In Cubase you can run two mixers at once. I minimzie all the effects, etc. Then I have 14 on the first mixer, and 14 on the second mixer below it on the one screen. Then the arrange page is on my second screen.

Those are some pretty good ones Blueberry!

Anyone else have a few more they'd like to add to the "Wish List?" :lol:

Jamie

If you haven't visited the site and set your country, the link won't work

goto

http://www.synthax.com

It will prompt you to select your country.

Once that is done, move your mouse over the shop link at the top of the page and select Buy Online.

On the left hand side, select skins.

You can choose on or choose 'em all.

For some reason Internet Explorer won't let me open the "Buy Online" link and aborts it everytime!! :D

I just downloaded the "Opera" browser! It's letting me see everything now! B)

Jamie

For some reason Internet Explorer won't let me open the "Buy Online" link and aborts it everytime!! :lol:

I just downloaded the "Opera" browser! It's letting me see everything now! B)

Jamie

We don't call it internet exploder for nothing. :D

Again, there is no external hardware support yet. It'll probably show up around v9.1 in a couple months.

automation: the plugin automation has to be assigned. MOST plugins that I've tried are working with automation - at least the few settings that I've tried.

To bypass the effects, just hit the button in the mixer.

Here's a picture of one of my favorite Synthax skins.

I left Cubase and Logic way behind a long time ago, and have never looked back.

Have fun,

Greg

post-620-1169967500_thumb.jpg

Again, there is no external hardware support yet. It'll probably show up around v9.1 in a couple months.

automation: the plugin automation has to be assigned. MOST plugins that I've tried are working with automation - at least the few settings that I've tried.

Have fun,

Greg

What's being overlooked here is that Samplitude does a lot of things right that Cubase doesn't.

For me personally -i'd like to see the take manager and composer expanded to cope with mutliple takes of a multi miked source e.g. drums.

That would be me sold!

B

It doesn't do that now? Have you tried recording multiple tracks simultaneously and checking the take manager?

Greg

Have fun,

Greg

I will have to try the automation, but having a one click of a button much quicker and nicer than assigning things.

Yes you can just click the button on the mixer, but that bypasses all the effects. What happens when you want to hear the compressor, but you want to hear just the EQ bypass from your Waves Ren. A couple of these things, including no template on a Mackie Controller and not being able to have two mixers on a screen which I am so used to is causing me to question if the other advantages will be a better way to work.

I find that I can work MUCH faster in Samp.

Ain't that the truth. Steinberg invent VSTis and then how do they impliment it in SX? Call up VST Instruments menu - select VSTi - select channel for VSTi - open mixer - select audio output for VSTi - even if you've already selected a track you have to now assign the MIDI. Cripes!

Already i found (without the manual) on Samplitude, you select the track - you can see all the options there, audio dest, select a VSTI and it automatically realises that (surprisingly - not) you want to control the VSTi and changes the MIDI for you. Simple.

Hey someone might even have made an SX skin, you never know :D .

Hey Mr Arkadin!

Let me see if I got this straight.

Currently in Cubase SX3, I load a VSTi (takes like 10 secs to find it and load it) then I assign it to a midi track so I can play it via my keyboard.

Next... I go to that midi channel... add a verb, eq, etc., in the VSTi channel (takes 10 to 20 secs and get the effect settings I want)... then I cut the midi track WITH real time effects.

After that, I then click on the midi editor to make any changes (like velocity, fix a few notes etc.) then mix it all down to a FINISHED 16bit 44.1 dithered wave to burn to cd. Effects and all!

I can do this with a piano, have it layered with a nice pad from Atmosphere, and its rather fast and my work flow is very streamlined. In this workflow... I'm always mixing and tweaking WHILE I'm cutting tracks in midi.

Now... I'm REALLY interested in getting Samplitude 9 Pro soon! However, my only concerns with Samplitude is this.

Can I hear real time effects on the midi track WHILE I'm recording the midi track... or do I have to mix it down to wave first, or freeze it, THEN add the effects?

For me... it's very important to hear the effects when I'm cutting the midi... especially if I'm playing a solo piano with a large hall effect. The effects influence my way of playing. My perception of actually listening to a live piano, that determines HOW I play the piano... the tempo.. the feel, etc.

If I have to render it to wave first BEFORE adding the effects, then... any CHANGES in my midi I would have to unfreeze the track... change the midi... refreeze the track... tweak the effect... then unfreeze again to work with the mid etc.

Now... I'm not saying that if Samplitude takes a longer approach like having to freeze the track FIRST them add the effects is wrong or anything... it's just many of my solo piano songs might be 15 to 20 minutes in length. So... to have to wait for that track to render or freeze... then add the effects... then delete the render wave... edit a few more notes... render again... then delete the render wave again to add the effects, etc. etc. I might do this like a hundred plus times on a given day! :lol:

Now perhaps I'm missing something here and someone can shed some light on the work flow with VSTi's in Samplitude vs. Cubase SX 3. If I am... can someone shed some light on it for me if I don't quite get it?

If Samplitude is this way... I think adding the effects on the VSTi channels... then rendering them to a final 16 bit dithered wave would be the ticket for sure to get hundreds and hundreds of SX users to come aboard, plus any other daw users who are use to the same work flow! B)

Jamie