SEA

What Does Cubase Users Want Most In Samplitude?

Can I hear real time effects on the midi track WHILE I'm recording the midi track... or do I have to mix it down to wave first, or freeze it, THEN add the effects?

You can monitor VSTi including additional audio fx in both

'Track FX monitor mode' and 'Mixer FX monitoring mode'.

The Track FX mode is for track inserts only and it's a part of

the economy engine. This engine is very efficient as it uses

VIP buffers for "playback" tracks and ASIO buffers only for

monitored tracks to keep low latency monitoring with fx.

The Mixer FX mode is more flexible at the cost of higher CPU

load. CPU load here is basically like other low latency hosts.

An advantage over the Track FX mode is that you can also

monitor trough the mixer, e.g Aux effects.

And then there's the economy mode for individual tracks.

"Playback" tracks can be set to use VIP buffers by setting

them to Economy mode, and thereby get lower CPU load

also in the low latency engine compared to other hosts.

There are other pros and cons when comparing engines in

Samp, but I'll skip that for now in order to keep it simple. :D

Regards,

Tobben

Can I hear real time effects on the midi track WHILE I'm recording the midi track... or do I have to mix it down to wave first, or freeze it, THEN add the effects?

You can monitor VSTi including additional audio fx in both

'Track FX monitor mode' and 'Mixer FX monitoring mode'.

The Track FX mode is for track inserts only and it's a part of

the economy engine. This engine is very efficient as it uses

VIP buffers for "playback" tracks and ASIO buffers only for

monitored tracks to keep low latency monitoring with fx.

The Mixer FX mode is more flexible at the cost of higher CPU

load. CPU load here is basically like other low latency hosts.

An advantage over the Track FX mode is that you can also

monitor trough the mixer, e.g Aux effects.

And then there's the economy mode for individual tracks.

"Playback" tracks can be set to use VIP buffers by setting

them to Economy mode, and thereby get lower CPU load

also in the low latency engine compared to other hosts.

There are other pros and cons when comparing engines in

Samp, but I'll skip that for now in order to keep it simple. :D

Regards,

Tobben

Thanks Tobben for your reply!

Anything else you'd like to share would be AWESOME to help us SX users make the "Leap" :lol:

Say... did you ever use Cubase SX before? What others systems have use used and why do you feel Samplitude is the best?

Thanks,

Jamie (SEA)

Thanks Tobben for your reply!

Anything else you'd like to share would be AWESOME to help us SX users make the "Leap" B)

Say... did you ever use Cubase SX before? What others systems have use used and why do you feel Samplitude is the best?

Thanks,

Jamie (SEA)

Hi Jamie,

I haven't tried SX much so I can't really compare SX to Samp

when it comes to details. I have "some" experience with a few

other DAWs though (Digi, SADiE, Logic, Cakewalk etc) but this

is definitely the place where I feel at home. :D

Some things I like about Samplitude/Sequoia:

I never have to leave the program to get the job done.

I can do everything from recording to burning a master without

leaving the program.

Flexibility. There are almost always many ways to approach

tasks and this makes room for very different workflows.

Samp can be used straight forward, but it can also be very

deep for those who want to explore and "tailor" the program

to their particular workflow.

Personally I use the program without a single toolbar open.

Sascha's plugins and the other internal effects are of very high

quality. I do use quite a few third party plugins but I'd have no

problem doing a project from A to Z just with the native fx.

Audio editing in general, and especially the object based editing.

Every single object have their own fx inserts for DX, VST and

internal FX. There are also object aux sends and a bunch of other

stuff that's still completely unique AFAIK.

Multiple engines. You can use the Hybrid engine which is basically

a low latency engine (as most other hosts have) + the economy

part which separates Samp from other hosts.

I'm personally a big fan of the "classic" engine in Samp due to

it's efficiency and ability to process lots of high latency plugins

without choking the ASIO stream. The classic engine will get

multi CPU support in V9.1 (hybrid engine is already supported)

and then we'll get an engine that'll smoke everything in terms

of efficiency on a dual/multi core setup.

The universal mouse mode. It works as a range tool on the

tracks upper part and as a select/move tool on the tracks lower

part. No need to go to the timeline when drawing ranges, and all

handles and curves can also be grabbed with the same tool.

I basically only switch tools when I need to draw curves.

I can't remember how this works in SX but I always feel lost

when I'm navigating in other programs.

The developers. I have to mention the devs as they're very

forthcoming and open for inputs. And perhaps some of the most

important - when they implement something, they really *want*

to do it right. Of course, everything won't be perfect for all users

at all times, but they really work hard to deliver solid features

without compromising the core engine. I may be a little partial

here as I'm on the beta team but at the same time it puts me in

a situation where I see how they approach features and issues.

There's a bunch of other stuff that I could mention but I'll just

say that for me there's really no alternative out there when it

comes to audio and editing. The midi side is relatively new, but

I personally have no problems doing all the midi stuff I need.

V9.1 will also bring some nice midi enhancements AFAIK. :lol:

Regards,

Tobben

Well, you're in luck.

You can hear effects during recording if you have the effects monitoring turned on and/or are working in the new hybrid engine mode. This includes reverb tails and delay lines, etc.

rendering/freezing, etc. is all done later on - and even that is optional - not a requirement.

You can also just 'render' the whole song via the mixdown button in the mixer. From there you can burn to CD.

Greg

Hi y`all,

Fellow SX3 to Samplitude migrators. I still use SX3.1 from time to time.. but overall for the past 3 years ive just grown to like Samp alot better. I still hate mixing in SX now , its too much of a toy.. Once you get used to Object based editing its all over :D

Since midi is relatively new in Samp. the trasition can seem hard . But Ive found that through some workarounds.. all is possible . If your stuck on something , dont hesitate to ask.. often someone here as figured out a workaround.

Plus, the main midi developer Frank P. is great.. he`s listens to all your suggestions and eventually will try to take of the most important ones.

The main midi drawbacks in Samp compared to SX are mostly workflow issues ( like the VSTi` rack which makes monitoring infinately easier in SX ) also the mentioned features like midi FX handling and Monitoring/Solo/Automation buttons in the midi editor.

I believe multi- midi object editing is coming in 9.1 .. that will rock :lol:

Best , Rich

Hi y`all,

Fellow SX3 to Samplitude migrators. I still use SX3.1 from time to time.. but overall for the past 3 years ive just grown to like Samp alot better. I still hate mixing in SX now , its too much of a toy.. Once you get used to Object based editing its all over :D

Since midi is relatively new in Samp. the trasition can seem hard . But Ive found that through some workarounds.. all is possible . If your stuck on something , dont hesitate to ask.. often someone here as figured out a workaround.

Plus, the main midi developer Frank P. is great.. he`s listens to all your suggestions and eventually will try to take of the most important ones.

The main midi drawbacks in Samp compared to SX are mostly workflow issues ( like the VSTi` rack which makes monitoring infinately easier in SX ) also the mentioned features like midi FX handling and Monitoring/Solo/Automation buttons in the midi editor.

I believe multi- midi object editing is coming in 9.1 .. that will rock ;)

Best , Rich

Thanks Rich for your input!!!! :P

Keep the "Light Shin'n" regarding what us Cubase, Sonar, PT users need to see (regarding midi) in Samplitude!!!

I am drawn to Samp like a mouth to a FLAME!!! :lol:

I just hope that the devs take us end users seriously and get CRACK'N on those midi features that will AT LEAST do as well as Cubase/Nuendo... AND... do even more with their BRILLIANT insight and natural RAW talent!!!

Of course I'm speaking my FAITH right now (HA). I don't know the devs... but what I've been told is that they are "Jump'n Jack Flash" on it!!! B)

SEA :P

and the synthax.ca (canada) website doesn't even have an online shop. How can us Canadians get the super duper x-grade deal?

cheers

rich

First post here, although I've been lurking for ages.

I would also like to know how Canadians can get the x-grade deal too :D

Paul.

by the way ex-cubasers, Mr Pell beta tests for Samp. He knows of what he speaks.

Welcome to Sampliquoia! or is it sequiatude? :D

by the way ex-cubasers, Mr Pell beta tests for Samp. He knows of what he speaks.

Welcome to Sampliquoia! or is it sequiatude? :lol:

It's Sequoiatude! :D

At least that's my vote since Sequoia is the premier daw and should be honored by putting it's name first! B)

BTW - is there an upgrade from Samplitude 9 Professional to Sequoia?

Thanks!

Jamie

Yes. It's paying the straight price difference. Vx to Vx.

Cheers,

S

Yes, that's right. Thanks Sebastian. You were quicker :D

Oliver

Yes. It's paying the straight price difference. Vx to Vx.

Cheers,

S

So if I have Samplitude 9 Pro for $999 then I pay the difference for Sequoia?

Now what if I get the crossgrade for Samp 9 Pro (like $399 or something), then when I move up how much? :D

Jamie :lol:

and the synthax.ca (canada) website doesn't even have an online shop. How can us Canadians get the super duper x-grade deal?

cheers

rich

First post here, although I've been lurking for ages.

I would also like to know how Canadians can get the x-grade deal too :)

Paul.

Hey fellow Canuck :D Maybe try Eric P. @ Synthax.ca .. thats where i 1st got my order for Samp....Best Rich

I love the audio in this prgoram. Im gettin a little used to object based editing, but I have to make my own key commands to make it fly for me :)

what I need, and many do, is well laid out and SIMPLE midi recording / editing / qantizing.

1. quantize functions should be on the vip track editor pane...in the midi section...this is where you should be able to select a quantize value or import a quantize value from audio...this is where the remix function becomes really useful.

2. When you loops midi record, it doesnt play back....this is bad....very very bad. and the midi notes need to be drawn as they are played.

3. midi drum notes or score notes displayed on VIP, jus like logic and nuendo...the pro's I know,(people who produce for puffy) use logic and nuendo for just this, they doent even know samp exists, but If i tried to intorduce samp to them now, they'd laugh in my face.

Please, fix the midi, the quantizing is fine, but it needs a meu, not just a couple of tabs or widgets...but input quantizing, and setting up quantize before I even record midi or make a new mdi object,

setting up mdi takes too much time and to record the parts accuratley takes too long right now.

Again, the audio is awesome, dont touch it. its fine. Im doing 4 albums for major artists and cant use samp at all for its lack of sequencing. and if its because samp works different then the rest, well sorry...I dont have time, my fellow producers dont have time. In my world you make 4 or more tracks a day, finish them, all the while your on the phone to singers, lyricists, artists, record laels, etc......samp's midi needs to work.

I know I have been ranting for the midi recentl, but I really like Samplitude...i want to use samp and only samp. Midi is fundamental....why are many still on MPC's????

I love the audio in this prgoram. Im gettin a little used to object based editing, but I have to make my own key commands to make it fly for me :D

what I need, and many do, is well laid out and SIMPLE midi recording / editing / qantizing.

1. quantize functions should be on the vip track editor pane...in the midi section...this is where you should be able to select a quantize value or import a quantize value from audio...this is where the remix function becomes really useful.

2. When you loops midi record, it doesnt play back....this is bad....very very bad. and the midi notes need to be drawn as they are played.

3. midi drum notes or score notes displayed on VIP, jus like logic and nuendo...the pro's I know,(people who produce for puffy) use logic and nuendo for just this, they doent even know samp exists, but If i tried to intorduce samp to them now, they'd laugh in my face.

Please, fix the midi, the quantizing is fine, but it needs a meu, not just a couple of tabs or widgets...but input quantizing, and setting up quantize before I even record midi or make a new mdi object,

setting up mdi takes too much time and to record the parts accuratley takes too long right now.

Again, the audio is awesome, dont touch it. its fine. Im doing 4 albums for major artists and cant use samp at all for its lack of sequencing. and if its because samp works different then the rest, well sorry...I dont have time, my fellow producers dont have time. In my world you make 4 or more tracks a day, finish them, all the while your on the phone to singers, lyricists, artists, record laels, etc......samp's midi needs to work.

I know I have been ranting for the midi recentl, but I really like Samplitude...i want to use samp and only samp. Midi is fundamental....why are many still on MPC's????

HEY FUNK!!!!

Keep on giving us the goods!!!! :P We need you to be our "HEY MAGIX" guy since you be da man who knows this stuff, WAY better than I do!

You're working with the majors, and if MAGIX can REALLY nail this down NOW, I mean SX users, Sonar users, etc. will come aboard by the hundreds I believe!

Currently if the midi is too cumbersome in Samp 9, I'll be forced to use SX 3.1 :D

I do A LOT of editing ALL DAY LONG in midi!

I have like 7 solo piano CDs using White Grand, Black Grand, TBO, coming out soon and I do it all in SX 3.1. It works very very fast and easy and I can't get slowed down now! I depend on SX midi editor with my short cut keys to change velocity levels like a 1,000 times a day in a 6 hour span. I have deadlines I have to keep as well.

I also have people who are looking at Samplitude who use SX and Nuendo. If the midi's not right, they'll not touch it. That's just how important it is!

Well keep up the good work MAGIX! I believe it's your "Time To Shine" (on the midi side) now that Yamaha has taken over Steiny.

I believe the Steiny as we know it is gone! Yamaha already has the Motif XS that comes with a copy of the new Cubase AI software!

I believe (IMHO) that it won't be long before there's just Yamaha and the SX and Nuendo (at least as we know them) will be a thing of the past!

LONG LIVE MAGIX!!!! :)

Jamie

what it is..and i have comparred it to nuendo 3.2, Logic 5.5.1, Logic 7.2, DP, SX3.1, Cubase 4, etc....

here is what I need to make it usefull, for midi-sequencing-quantizing......

1. you have to think simple...MPC simple. Then Cats that I know, that get 30,000 to 200,000 for a track think midi and sequencing in MPC terms, meaning LOOP RECORDING....

So you need a loops that doesnt dissapear when you click away from it with the mouse, this mouse mode stuff is cool, but there should be defaults that dont make it hard to use.

2. Input quantize, and a real quantize setup window accessable BEFORE you even create a vip. YES...BEFORE. PERIOD.

3. normally I get paid $250 to $550 a day for this input.....im being nice. :)

4. the loops needs to play back flawlessly, and you need the metronome to NOT MISS THE ONE. Too many times I het record to only hear the metronome starting on beat 2....

This is basic fundametal stuff, but this is what is needed before anything else.

5. multiple Loops points in the VIP...assignable with key strokes....Sop I can have a 4 bar loops from 1 to 5, and another loop say at 16 to 20. and I can switch between these loops with a keystroke.

6. retrospective recording....no owrds needed.

7. quantize setup should also have a link with the remix agent....you import a loop, use remix agent to figure out tempo beats, and them have the remix agent create a anudio AND midi quantize value based on the loop. this can then be saved and imported / expoerted into any VIP I choose.

what it is..and i have comparred it to nuendo 3.2, Logic 5.5.1, Logic 7.2, DP, SX3.1, Cubase 4, etc....

here is what I need to make it usefull, for midi-sequencing-quantizing......

1. you have to think simple...MPC simple. Then Cats that I know, that get 30,000 to 200,000 for a track think midi and sequencing in MPC terms, meaning LOOP RECORDING....

So you need a loops that doesnt dissapear when you click away from it with the mouse, this mouse mode stuff is cool, but there should be defaults that dont make it hard to use.

2. Input quantize, and a real quantize setup window accessable BEFORE you even create a vip. YES...BEFORE. PERIOD.

3. normally I get paid $250 to $550 a day for this input.....im being nice. :)

4. the loops needs to play back flawlessly, and you need the metronome to NOT MISS THE ONE. Too many times I het record to only hear the metronome starting on beat 2....

This is basic fundametal stuff, but this is what is needed before anything else.

5. multiple Loops points in the VIP...assignable with key strokes....Sop I can have a 4 bar loops from 1 to 5, and another loop say at 16 to 20. and I can switch between these loops with a keystroke.

6. retrospective recording....no owrds needed.

7. quantize setup should also have a link with the remix agent....you import a loop, use remix agent to figure out tempo beats, and them have the remix agent create a anudio AND midi quantize value based on the loop. this can then be saved and imported / expoerted into any VIP I choose.

YO FUNK!!!!

Right on dude! You're the "Cat" who seems to be the one who knows this stuff (way better than I do) and can find out just what the heck MAGIX and Samplitude/Sequoia needs to add/fix to make them the "Next Big Thing!!!!"

Currently I have about 7 cds I'm working on (all vsti instrumentals) and I make like 1,000 velocity changes, midi note tweaks, every day, all day for about 6 hours a day! Workflow is EXTREMELY important to me. I REALLY want Samplitude 9 Pro be the "All In All" daw for me... but if the midi work flow isn't right, and the editing with it is too cumbersome, then my hands will be forced to keep using SX 3.1 till it is. :D

Now the way I see it... the Steiny as we knew it is gone! Yamaha has taken over and they are merging their stuff with Steiny. The new Motif XS is out and it comes with Cubase A1.

So... we REALLY need something like Samplitude to do it up with the midi VSTi's and find a new daw that can do it all in! :D

Keep up the good work MAGIX!!! I believe it's "YOUR TIME TO SHINE!"

Us Cubendo users need a home!!! :P

Jamie

Us Cubendo users need a home!!! :D

Jamie

As for myself, I have found a home. Come on in, the water is fine. :)

Jamie

Hey Ric!!

You have been an SX user for a while right?

Can you elaborate on what systems you have used and why Samp 9 RULES!!?

Also... do you use midi VSTi's a lot or do you record live into Samp?

Jamie (aka SEA)

Jamie

Hey Ric!!

Jamie (aka SEA)

First, I am by no means a Samplitude Guru. I have a lot to learn about it, and I don't feel I have gone through every aspect of the program adequately. I have a day job as an engineer, so the time I spend with Samplitude varies from day to day.

I became a Cubase user with VST 3.7, but VST 5 was released like 2 weeks after I bought VST 3.7 (did not qualify for a free upgrade), so I had to buy VST 5. From there, I went SX -> SX 2 -> SX 3 -> C4. I am sure that you recall from cubase.net that I spent a lot of time taking up for Steinberg and asking others to give them the opportunity to grow the product. Even during the SX 1 / SX 2 era, I really felt that there was a push to keep the customer first. Early on in SX 3, about the time the denial of the MIDI timing problems started, I began to get the impression that things were changing for the worse. C4 and the cancelling of the SX 3 update drove the point home. I am not bashing Steinberg, I am just offering my impressions of the situation and insight into why I migrated.

I don't have as much hardware as I used to. I got rid of my MS2000R, Lexicon MPX-110, and Behringer DSP2024, 2 Virus C's, and a bunch of other stuff. I use a Virus C and an SH-32.

What makes Samplitude 9 rule, the stuff that is there works as advertised. No bloody workarounds, no voodoo, I just fire it up and it works. You have alluded to the quality of the audio engine, so I will not spend any more time with it. MIDI is rudimentary, but I can work with it.

I am not sure what you are driving at with the question about the VSTi, but I will take a stab at it. VSTi are the primary instruments I use. I play them from MIDI tracks for the most part. Many of the VSTi's I have do offer MIDI out, but even in Cubase I never really used it. The notable exception is the Virus editor from rekon audio. It was a graphical interface that let me tweak the Virus parameters from within Cubase.

My fireface 800 just showed up, so now I am going to retool my setup.

Let me know if I did not adequately answer your questions.

Jamie

As for myself, I have found a home. Come on in, the water is fine. :D

Hey Ric!!

Jamie (aka SEA)

First, I am by no means a Samplitude Guru. I have a lot to learn about it, and I don't feel I have gone through every aspect of the program adequately. I have a day job as an engineer, so the time I spend with Samplitude varies from day to day.

I became a Cubase user with VST 3.7, but VST 5 was released like 2 weeks after I bought VST 3.7 (did not qualify for a free upgrade), so I had to buy VST 5. From there, I went SX -> SX 2 -> SX 3 -> C4. I am sure that you recall from cubase.net that I spent a lot of time taking up for Steinberg and asking others to give them the opportunity to grow the product. Even during the SX 1 / SX 2 era, I really felt that there was a push to keep the customer first. Early on in SX 3, about the time the denial of the MIDI timing problems started, I began to get the impression that things were changing for the worse. C4 and the cancelling of the SX 3 update drove the point home. I am not bashing Steinberg, I am just offering my impressions of the situation and insight into why I migrated.

I don't have as much hardware as I used to. I got rid of my MS2000R, Lexicon MPX-110, and Behringer DSP2024, 2 Virus C's, and a bunch of other stuff. I use a Virus C and an SH-32.

What makes Samplitude 9 rule, the stuff that is there works as advertised. No bloody workarounds, no voodoo, I just fire it up and it works. You have alluded to the quality of the audio engine, so I will not spend any more time with it. MIDI is rudimentary, but I can work with it.

I am not sure what you are driving at with the question about the VSTi, but I will take a stab at it. VSTi are the primary instruments I use. I play them from MIDI tracks for the most part. Many of the VSTi's I have do offer MIDI out, but even in Cubase I never really used it. The notable exception is the Virus editor from rekon audio. It was a graphical interface that let me tweak the Virus parameters from within Cubase.

My fireface 800 just showed up, so now I am going to retool my setup.

Let me know if I did not adequately answer your questions.

Thanks for your input Ric! :)

As far as what I meant about VSTi's... do you do a lot of audio recording or are you using (for the most part) VSTi's like HALion3, Kontakt 2, etc.?

I use samples and VSTI's primarily! :P

So... any input on your part is most appreciated!

Keep in touch ok?

SEA B)

Yeah, VSTi's are my bread and butter. I sunk some coin into NI's Massive and TeraTec Producer's Komplexer. I use the Waldorf Edition a lot as well. I use Kontakt 2. I used to use HALion, but decided to focus on HALion. I use Wusikstation a lot. It replaced Hypersonic in my line up. I am also really fond of Tera, Albino 3, Blue, Sytrus, PoiZone, and CronoX3. I use the Virus C to get the wicked fat sounds, and the SH-32 has the supersaw waveform for cutting leads.

Dude, I am only an e-mail away if you need something.

SEA (Jamie),

I just realized that a waggling little camera wouldn't be good enough to really capture a session of samplitude - you won't be able to recognize the buttons etc.. So I will look out for a screen capture tool.

Basically I would just do a "proove of concept" that you can work with VSTi, MIDI Editor and Effects quickly and quite easily without any special secrets required to know - to give you enough knowledge at hand so you can try the V9 Demo version and do your own tests (with VSTi and effects) faster as it would take if you never would have Samplitude in action before.

If your main focus is MIDI loop recording (that is recording many takes one after another in cycle automatically), you may experience the problems Dr.Funk has mentioned.

If you don't use loop recording, MIDI should be good enough to work with for sure, for larger "multi-timbral" arrangements the new multi-object editing feature comes with the (free) V9.1 update.

Of course we want to sort out possible problems with MIDI loop recording as soon as possible.

About the loop range/play cursor behaviour: at least there is the Shift+Backspace command which recalls the last couple of loop ranges (something for Dr.Funk!!).

Regards,

Frank