SEA

What Does Cubase Users Want Most In Samplitude?

It's not comlicated in SAM9. Add a track. select MIDI. Select VST of your choice in the output box (and also select is audio is routed to the same track or different. Go to inserts and add fx if you do it this way but its better to set up an aux bus for reverb and yes, you can now hear the fx in real time. Bounce down to wav file (with various options). Simple. All current DAW audio/midi progs can do this.

SEA (Jamie),

I just realized that a waggling little camera wouldn't be good enough to really capture a session of samplitude - you won't be able to recognize the buttons etc.. So I will look out for a screen capture tool.

Basically I would just do a "proove of concept" that you can work with VSTi, MIDI Editor and Effects quickly and quite easily without any special secrets required to know - to give you enough knowledge at hand so you can try the V9 Demo version and do your own tests (with VSTi and effects) faster as it would take if you never would have Samplitude in action before.

If your main focus is MIDI loop recording (that is recording many takes one after another in cycle automatically), you may experience the problems Dr.Funk has mentioned.

If you don't use loop recording, MIDI should be good enough to work with for sure, for larger "multi-timbral" arrangements the new multi-object editing feature comes with the (free) V9.1 update.

Of course we want to sort out possible problems with MIDI loop recording as soon as possible.

About the loop range/play cursor behaviour: at least there is the Shift+Backspace command which recalls the last couple of loop ranges (something for Dr.Funk!!).

Regards,

Frank

Thanks Frank for getting back to us on this one! Refreshing from where we've all been! :D

Since I have produced video over the years, may I make one suggestion? "If the waggling little camera wouldn't be good enough then... get a non waggling bigger camera! :)

Sorry... couldn't resist that one Frank! B)

However... if you could do something with a a screen capture tool with voice over, explaining what you are doing... then this could be something very useful indeed!

If you could do something even like the demos that are already up on YouTube, but focus heavy on the VSTi side, adding effects, mixing it down and burning it directly to cd (WOW) that would be very cool indeed! We could then show this to the Cubendo users and say... "Look how easy and elegantly you can write, edit, and mix your VSTi's in Samplitude" then I believe you're on to something! :D

Personally... it would be cool what I suggested earlier. Like more of a NAMM presentation where you guys walk us through one simple 4 track song or something. But perhaps in the near future someone could do this.

I don't use the midi loop at this time. If I have a groove, I either use something like Stylus RMX or Groove Agent where I'll go through the different levels of complexity in GA and cut "X" amount of data.

Then at the end of the song... I'll through in some of GA's fills at difference complexity levels as well. After that... I'll cut and past and delete the midi notes, fills, and grooves over the length of the song... perhaps do a few drum fills on the keyboard.

If I like it but not the sound, I can always remap something like DFH or BFD or cut the drums live via midi using midi drum kit.

So when you get something up Frank let us know :D

Best,

Jamie

P.S. Are there keyboard shortcuts already programmed into Samplitude 9 on the midi VST side or do we have to create them ourselves? If there's not, adding them to Samplitude 9's programming would be extreme helpful (IMHO), so that "out of the box" one can quickly learn the short cuts via a tutorial demo (like the ones you already have) and get a new end users up and running very quickly! :P

@ Dr. Funk ~ Dont get me wrong.. i`d love to see a " restrospective recording" feature in Samp. as much as the next man.

But , what i`m finding usefull in the meantime is to set midi record on normal or multi-overdub and just record all the time. Then when you come apon a good take or idea, open up the Take Composer and edit your midi files together. It works really well actually ...

@ Sea ~ " Are there keyboard shortcuts already programmed into Samplitude 9 on the midi VST side or do we have to create them ourselves? "

Both actually.. you`ll probably want to customize the default ones that are there .. theres also going to be some new ones in 9.1 to accomodate new features and some that dont seem to be well known....( like double Shft + click on a midi note selects that note + all the notes in front of that note...)

Hope that inspires a little..Best, Rich

@ Dr. Funk ~ Dont get me wrong.. i`d love to see a " restrospective recording" feature in Samp. as much as the next man.

But , what i`m finding usefull in the meantime is to set midi record on normal or multi-overdub and just record all the time. Then when you come apon a good take or idea, open up the Take Composer and edit your midi files together. It works really well actually ...

@ Sea ~ " Are there keyboard shortcuts already programmed into Samplitude 9 on the midi VST side or do we have to create them ourselves? "

Both actually.. you`ll probably want to customize the default ones that are there .. theres also going to be some new ones in 9.1 to accomodate new features and some that dont seem to be well known....( like double Shft + click on a midi note selects that note + all the notes in front of that note...)

Hope that inspires a little..Best, Rich

YEP... It sure does Rich! :)

Can hardly wait to get my crossgrade and really learn Samplitude. It's exciting to see a company like MAGIX really moving forward with the VSTi and midi stuff! I wonder what 9.2 and up will bring!! :D

SEA :P

I hope my rants dont sound too negative... :)

Just really want Samplitude to kick some butt, and it does, but just needs some midi help.

the thing is, its too easy in an mpc or logic or even nuendo, to get it going, setting up quantize and stuff like that...

when I hear "samp is different, you just have to learn it..." as true as that is....all the cats I know, wont take the time...theyre too busy. It has to be easy and stupid simple.

man, im all negative without morning or afternoon coffee. :D

Well , as Frank P. already said . V9.1 has more midi additions coming.. more Quantizing options , nudging , Multi-object editor , midi out , XML export etc ..etc..

Of course, midi in Logic , Stieny apps. MPC have been around alot longer than the midi in Samp.

Dr. Funk.. Occationally i work with some of the same types of people that you do.. and yea.. "dummyproof" is ticket there . Samp wasnt designed to be a Producers tool.. no one cuts up beats in Samp :)

They`ll be better off playng with tools where the workflow has been streamlined and simplified .

Midi in V6 was downright painfull to work with. But since Frank P. has been on board things have really started to take shape . The score feature is brilliant really ... there were very few bugs in that one . Right off the bat it was solid. So hes doing good job and hopefully most of the major kinks will be ironed out in the near future..

As it stands ..i can still do all my midi work in V9 instead of SX and i`d bet that what i have to do midi wize in Film scoring is a bit more complex than laying down your basic "P-ditty fat beats" (love some of those grooves BTW :D .. soo as limited as it is, without all the bells and whistles.. it s still do-able , right ? And then , once your done dicking around in midi land and you render to audio, you have the bonus of all the great mixing features in Samp . and a great transparent neutral mixdown engine !

Anyways, thats the way i seen it... Funk on!

Enjoy the weekend. Best, Rich

man, im all negative without morning or afternoon coffee. :D

I HAVE SOME ESPRESSO OVER HERE FOR YA FUNK!!! I GRIND MY OWN BEANS FROM STARBUCKS TOO!!!! :D HEY RICH... I'LL MAKE AN EXTRA CUP FOR YOU TOO!!

But seriously... I believe you Rich... even though I'm still waiting to get Samp 9... but I also hear what Dr. Funk is saying too.

The way I see it is this. MOST (like 99%) of the Cubendo, Sonar, Logic, PT users... they are SOOOOOOOO used to those programs work that you basically have to copy what they did in the VSTi and midi stuff... HECK!!! they all copy each other anyway!

Let's face it! Musicians are lazy when learning stuff! Yes... many hard working ones, but if they are used to it a certain way, then THAT'S what they will be looking for and bypass ALL the great stuff I'm sure SAMP can do.

Now me... if I can do it after I learn it well then fine!! But I'm just one dude... working one his dream... fulltime... cutting away! :P

Others Kats like the Dr. are busy working with clients. Well clients all want a deal and a deal = Time and Time = $$$ and if you tell your client "I can do your project for $500 to per song" and it takes you TWICE as long to edit, then in reality YOU are losing 1/2 of your $$$ because there's only so many hours in a day, and so many projects you can get done in 1 year.

And if the client has to wait on YOU to finish the LAST project and they want it done now, well then... they'll just take it to someone else who can do it now. Am I right or what? :)

So what program will YOU be using if you had 4 cds to do? The one that gets the job done the easiest and the fastest and THAT program is the one that EVERYONE ELSE will use too! It's as simple as that!

With that being said... I really hope Samp 9.2 is a BIG jump in these areas. B)

SEA :D

SEA, i 100% agree. Everything you say is true. Ive been there.

Yea, but see.. thats were Samp is diff. Its not going to work the same way an MPC or SX works...you have to wrap your head around re-thinking the way you work. If you can`t .. stick to whats tried and true .

Samp. isnt out there trying to cater to the Hiphop producer or the guys who track and comp. huge drum kit recordings and live bands in PT with HW insert compensation etc.... You may be able to do that stuff with a cool workflow one day in Samp ..but i dont think it was initially designed to do that , the way PT or N4 is.

I mean the Take composer just arrived in V8.1 or 2 i believe.

Thats why people who do that kinda thing should just stick to PT or N4 or Fruityloops or whatever ., unless there prepared for a medium sized learning curve.. i mean its not that hard... :)

For eg. 1st of all midi wize... theres no VSTi inst. rack.. so all the routing has to be done in the midi track or VSTi manager and that makes certain basic monitoring senerios impossible at the moment . That alone is enough to turn your hard core multi-timberal midi guy off . No HW device tempates like in SX. No easy monitoring options in the Midi editor etc... alot is still kinda raw .... BUT..BUt.. its still there. You can still achieve the same results .. theres ways around everything in Samp. Im still making it happen and my work is gettng better regardless of the workflow or obsticles.

I love all Dr.Funks and others points but i gave up long time ago trying to make Samp in SX, just cause i wanted my old habits to translate into this new cool program.. its just not gonna happen...its Apples and Limes i guess .

Cheers , Rich

Yeah, the workarounds are always there, and for me it's hotkeys that rule the day.

I'm no coder, but I would REALLY like to be able to setup scripts with bundled hotkey sequences at least. I know some folks are already working on it using 3rd party scripting, but I don't have time to learn all that - I just need to bundle hotkey sequences.

I know this is coming, but at least Samplitude does 100% of what I need - even MIDI - at this point, and does it EXTREMELY well!

Greg

For eg. 1st of all midi wize... theres no VSTi inst. rack.. so all the routing has to be done in the midi track or VSTi manager and that makes certain basic monitoring senerios impossible at the moment . That alone is enough to turn your hard core multi-timberal midi guy off .

Hey Rich,

Can you elaborate more on this? What do you mean by "it makes certain basic monitoring scenarios impossible at the moment"

I don't use loops. I use VSTi's in linear form... one big long song (like the old 2 inc real to real days). :)

I mean.. I might have a groove that loops... but I don't do the stuff where the sequencer jumps back and forth to different parts of the project.

Hi Jamie,

Well is a bit difficult for me to explain but basically you can`t solo multi-timberal VSTi`s tracks routed to 1 pair of Stereo outs without soloing the main track where you loaded your VSTi as well.

And if you have a midi object in there e.g. midi channel 1, then you have to mute that object to decreetly hear a track thats assigned to say, midi chnl 3 , solo Track 1 (where the VSTi and OUTs were initially loaded to) and track 3 . 3 Steps, Just to solo disreetly hear track 3 ...

The only way around it is to assign each track to its own output and each midi cnl in you VSTi, to its own output. eg. Midi cnl 1 OUtputs 1+2 midi chnl 2 outputs 3+4 etc...

If your running tons of MT VSTi`s like i am with K2 etc.. this would be a nightmare. So what i end up doing as a workaround is simply use the play solo button in the Midi editor whe i want to hear a track and when bouncing ive gotten into this routine were i bounce midi track 1 (where the VST is loaded and the main audio outs reside). Mute the midi object(s) in it. And the keep that solo`d as my dummy track and solo/bounce the rest of my 16 midi chnls.

Muting Track 1 is impossible while working since everthing is routed there so one must just mute the midi objects instead of the track...

Its not right and it used to drive me crazy since in SX all that is worked out with the VSTi inst. rack acting as the neutral dummy track wer allyour outs are comeing from but ive gotten used to this workaround.. and i donw think about it too much anymore.. though i love it to be fixed. Hopefull with the new Hybrid Engine in.. the dev. will re-write the VSTi routing scheme and this basic thing will be implimented better.. :)

Best , Rich

P.Diddy needs to retire, his last album tanked.... :DB):D:P:D

God I love these smilies... :P:D:)B)

anyways, ill keep a whats up with whats up... :D

thanks Rich, yer a cool dude too. No matter what that sea guy says. :P

Well is a bit difficult for me to explain but basically you can`t solo multi-timberal VSTi`s tracks routed to 1 pair of Stereo outs without soloing the main track where you loaded your VSTi as well.

In V9.1, if you setup all VSTi audio returns to one channel and keep the MIDI send on other tracks, now a simple click on a MIDI-send track does exactly what you want: you only hear that MIDI track played back by the VSTi, SOLO-safe keeps the VSTi audio returns' track alive.

We're on this topic to get everything smooth for V9.1.

It's a little bit complex because in Samp you can have all kinds of VSTi routing: MIDI sends and AUDIO returns mixed, seperated or partly mixed - you can even have all individual Audio outputs of a VSTi on one audio track...

Greetings,

Frank

Ohh cool.. sorry, i didnt quite get that in the readme, Frank .

Would you have time to send me a PM explaining step by step how to do that please, Because i havent notice much difference in the behaviour with the way im routing things here. IFAIK, "solo safe" is the only way to solo multiple routed tracks . Everything else ive tried mutes the tracks.

Whats happening here is that if i load K2 in track 1 with "all outputs to 1 track" play a midi part and move on to the next 2 tracks (routing K2 as my VSTi obviously), make midi parts for those 2 tracks as well so i have a midi object in each of the 3 tracks.

If i Solo Track 3 (mid cnl3) i will get whats loaded in Midi cnl 3 in k2 + Midi cnl 1 (track 1 and 3). Samps doesn`t mute the midi object in Track 1. So i can`t just solo track 3 and bounce since the track 1 midi object will be included...

Hmm but thats giving me an idea.. what if i made 2 midi tracks for chl 1 ..used the 1st as the dummy track (were the VSTi outs are assigned) and put my midi object in the 2nd..assigning that to Cnl 1 as well ?

Its still not right..but that may work. :)

Id still love to know the right way to do it..

Best , Rich

In V9.1, if you setup all VSTi audio returns to one channel and keep the MIDI send on other tracks, now a simple click on a MIDI-send track does exactly what you want: you only hear that MIDI track played back by the VSTi, SOLO-safe keeps the VSTi audio returns' track alive.

We're on this topic to get everything smooth for V9.1.

It's a little bit complex because in Samp you can have all kinds of VSTi routing: MIDI sends and AUDIO returns mixed, seperated or partly mixed - you can even have all individual Audio outputs of a VSTi on one audio track...

Greetings,

Frank

Thanks Frank for the explanation!

If you can... when you do the video tutorial on the midi side of things... please include how to do this as well!

The more detailed the better! :)

After messing a bit with it i would agree with an earlier poster above that looping could be better - just a simple left/right locator that snaps and kerching!, you're there.

Personally I would never switch the current behaviour

with traditional locators/timeline operations for looping.

A possible alternative locator mode perhaps...

The way it works now is that the cursor is locked to range.

A range can be drawn in any track's upper waveform (and

also in the timeline of course).

With loop mode actived - just draw a range and you're done,

both for recording and playback. Ranges can be saved and

recalled. Set up hotkeys for this and you can instantly jump

around in the VIP and loop/audition various ranges in realtime.

Same thing with objects. You can use hotkeys to navigate

between objects and range/loop them with a single hotkey.

The 5 last used ranges are always in memory so you can

always recall (without storing) by pressing Shift+Backspace.

I'd recommend assigning a single hotkey (I use F5 for this).

That brings us to the downside with the "cursor locked to range"

behaviour. The range is deactivated when you place the

cursor at a new spot so you have to recall it with the hotkey

(or doubleclick it in the timeline) if you want to keep using it.

Of course, storing the range is better if you need it later on.

All in all, I find this method to be far more efficient than any

other DAW I've tried. All the above examples can be executed

without ever stopping playback.

So..I could imagine an optional/additonal locator mode for

some scenarios but I'd never want to lose the current scheme.

Regards,

Tobben

That brings us to the downside with the "cursor locked to range"

behaviour. The range is deactivated when you place the

cursor at a new spot so you have to recall it with the hotkey

(or doubleclick it in the timeline) if you want to keep using it.

Of course, storing the range is better if you need it later on.

Regards,

Tobben

Thats the part that stll drives me a bit crazy.. "the ever disapearing range.." ;) I`d love to see an option that alows the user to keep the range permanet/active during cursor changes .. But yes, the current scheme is very flexible...

Best Rich

I dont care what mouse mode im in or anything...DONT MAKE THAT RANGE DISAPPEAR!!! ;)

In fact..I want multiple ranges. with a keystroke to switch between them. :blink:

i don't see why they couldn't have the current ranges and a 'traditional' left/right locator that just sits where it's told - it's just a simple thing us Cubasers like.

And Tobben, woah there! i wasn't suggesting getting rid of any Samplitude features, jeez i only just got here, that would be rude. Adding a couple of very simple features that YOU don't have to use but would make the transition for us Cubasers easier though ;) .

i don't see why they couldn't have the current ranges and a 'traditional' left/right locator that just sits where it's told - it's just a simple thing us Cubasers like.

And Tobben, woah there! i wasn't suggesting getting rid of any Samplitude features, jeez i only just got here, that would be rude. Adding a couple of very simple features that YOU don't have to use but would make the transition for us Cubasers easier though :blink: .

AMEN Mr. Arkadin... AMEN!!! ;)

SEA :lol:

In fact..I want multiple ranges. with a keystroke to switch between them

Hi Dr Funk

Did you know you can store ranges using Alt+F2 though to F10 and if you want to recall them just hit Ctrl+F2 though to F10 . Of course you can re-assign these shortcuts if you want to .

Regards

Kraznet

ummmm, now I do ;):D

man im looking at this manual..... ;);):blink::);):lol: <----- thats me reading it. :P

ummmm, now I do :P:D

man im looking at this manual..... ;);):blink::);):lol: <----- thats me reading it. :D

Yeah Sampy has quite a few secrets hidden away ;) Incidently if you click on the Manager tab you can access the Ranges you've saved from there as well .

range markers are so old school <hehe>.

Old habits die hard.

I prefer the real-time range setting in Samplitude rather than having to tell the darn timeline where a range is.

;)

Greg