Kraznet

Short Samp Tutorials

Update 19th September 2010!!

New Take Composer/Revolver Tracks Comping Tutorial :

Watch here :

Download here until 18th October 2010 : https://download.yousendit.com/UFVvK3BBdWNoeVpjR0E9PQ

My YouTube channel has 145 Tutorials online: www.youtube.com/kraznet

Plus the Samplitude website :

http://www.samplitude.com/en/community/tutorial-videos/introduction.326.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll leave the links for the older ones below in case you find them useful :

This is an extended version showing how to bounce midi to audio 4m30secs

Midi_to_AudioBouncing.wmv

This one is about using the Range/Loop manager to recall different loop/range positions :

RangeManager.wmv

This shows how to delete multiple tracks and also put tracks into folders:

DeletingTracksFolderTracks.wmv

Shows how to use snap with ranges . BTW In the clip I mention pressing the keyboard shortcut to access the Project Options but I can't remember if this is the defaut one . Anyway if it doesn't work you can open the Project Options using Ctrl+Shift+R or go to the menu - Options>Project Options. Excuse the sound being a bit rough but I did it in hurry <_<

SnapSetup.wmv

This shows how to set up Gigastudio via Rewire :

http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...post&id=306

This shows how to use Aux automation

http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...post&id=189

It's best to right click on the links and use "save target as" . I think that may be different if you use Firefox .

I'll try and add a few more when I get time. Any requests? I'd prefer to do short clips to show a particular function .

Regards

Kraznet

TakeComposer.wmv

ObjectEditorPart_1.wmv

ObjectEditorPart_1.rar

Kraznet:

Thank you so much for doing this! What a great help that is!

A couple of comments:

1) The first 2 vids have voice over, which is a real help. The others without voice over are a bit harder to follow.

2) The Gigastudio video is not very clear on my screen, and I cannot read the elements.

3) The last 2 links are to the same video (automation).

I would love to see some more info on clip editing, especially when comping tracks. I do a lot of cutting, and moving of bits of audio between takes, and want to make sure that they are time-aligned after cutting and dragging. I was just reading about this last night in the manual, and it looks like there is a great implementation of this feature in Samp. I plan on experimenting with it tonight.

I also understand that there is a take manager? Sounds cool! I'd love to see a video of this feature.

Once again, thanks for doing this! It is really encouraging to see someone working with this program that knows that they are doing. I am really struggling to grasp the new paradigm after using Cubase for SO MANY years.

Hi DH,

Thank you so much for doing this! What a great help that is!

I am pleased that they are of help to you <_<

2) The Gigastudio video is not very clear on my screen, and I cannot read the elements.

Yes that was a lower quality video. I will try three do it with a voice-over and better resolution.

) The last 2 links are to the same video (automation).

I fixed the link for the aux automation.

would love to see some more info on clip editing, especially when comping tracks

Maybe the Take Composer will be good for this? Do you comp multiple versions of the same part? Is that what you mean? I will try to do one showing they Take Composer and Take Manager

am really struggling to grasp the new paradigm after using Cubase for SO MANY years.

I know exactly how you feel I was using that Logic for 10 years and it felt quite alienating for the first few months but now everything comes naturally and I don't miss Logic at all. Hang on in there :blink:

Best regards

Kraznet

Thanks for updating that link. That was a helpful one!

As far as the comping of multiple takes goes...

I normally record multiple passes of the lead vocal for example. In Cubase, I would put each pass on its own track, and mute all but the "best take" from the bunch. Then I would go through the vocal part phrase by phrase on each track, and would cut out the best part from the bunch, and then copy and drag it down to the final "keeper track". This was pretty easy to do with Cubase, and it sounds like Samplitude has some cool features to accomplish this task as well.

One thing that Cubase had was a "speaker icon" option for the cursor which would initiate playback on a single track from the point you clicked forward until you released the mouse button. This was great for auditioning a single phrase on multiple tracks.

Select the speaker icon, the cursor turns into a speaker... now:

Click and hold on track 1 to hear the phrase, then

Click and hold on track 2 to hear that SAME phrase on the new take, then

Click and hold on track 3, etc.

Does Samp have a similar feature? I see that there is a scrub function...

As another suggestion, how about showing how to automate some of the effects. For example, a filter sweep, or automating an echo on and off during different parts of the song (on on the chorus, off on the verse for example).

Thanks again for your encouragement. I know I will get there eventually, and I just need to be patient and spend some time with it.

Cheers again for all your hard work! Great job!

I've added a new Midi to Audio Bouncing clip

WOW! This latest file is the best yet, and very helpful.

I hate to sound all mushy or anything, but Kraznet, you ARE THE MAN!

Thank you!

Thanks DH ,

Pleased you like it . I'm hoping the next one will be about the Take composer/manager . Then I'll try to do one showing various aspects of FX automation .

Cheers

Kraznet

Thanks DH ,

Pleased you like it . I'm hoping the next one will be about the Take composer/manager . Then I'll try to do one showing various aspects of FX automation .

Cheers

Kraznet

Cheers, Kranznet

Thanks a million from me as well. You are making all of us new users more exicted about Samplitude. You have shown what a great program it is, and in many ways so much more professional compare to Cubase giving so many options. We all sincerely appreciate this.

May I suggest the lads from Magix put your info on a Sticky on the top of the newcomer forum so it's always on top. This and any additional insightful videos you can think of would be very helpful.

I've added a clip showing how to use the Take Manager/Composer

Regards

Kraznet

I just watched the Bounced video.. now Take Manager/Composer!

This is AWESOME STUFF KRAZ!!!!!

You should be on Samp's Payroll!!! :lol:

Cheers,

SEAmusic-smiley-006.gif

Cool !! it got pinned ;)

Hey Jamie !! Pleased you liked the videos B):lol: I'm doing an extended one on the object editor at the moment .

Cheers

Kraznet

Hey Kraznet:

Thanks for your latest video on the Take Composer. That helped me a lot, and was exactly what I was looking for!

Of course, each new video that you do just sparks more questions in my mind, which is a good thing!

Keep up the AWESOME work. I am not sure if you realize just how much help you are to us new guys!

Thanks Kraznet

Great job!!

I have a question to the take composer video..

How do you record the bass takes?? There's 4 takes basz01, bass02.... bass04 do you record the 4 takes without stopping??

I tried to set up sam like you did in the video with 4 bars and record some software synth but when the play cursor come the the end of the range it just returns to the start of the range and records on top of the previous recorded take??? :lol:

Can you explain it step by step ???

Thanks

Bryan

Hi Bryan ,

The video was really to show how to record looped audio from an external source like live bass guitar . Yes I recorded the takes without stopping . Recording with a VSTi is slightly different as it's midi. Give me a little time and I'll see what I can come up with .

Cheers

Kraznet

HEY KRAZ!!!

How about a vid feature automation? :lol:

One thing I have noticed that's not in Samp that Cubendo users (perhaps other daw users) are used to is on the VSTi's and the VST effects there are R & W buttons so if you want to automate those effects while you got them up in your window

In Cubendo... all you need to to is click the "W" and then start moving the parameters in the VSTi and the VST effect and it writes it on the fly. Then, click on the "R" button and it reads the automation you did.

Can something like this be done (or added) to Samplitude?

SEA 1054.gif

Hi Jamie :P

Hope your doing fine and thanks for your kind comments . I'm going to try making some more videos as soon as I get some spare time . Been busy building and troubleshooting my new machine along with other thing that have kept me out of the loop . Hopefully I can cook something up in the not too distant future :):lol:B)

Cheers for now

Kraznet

Hi Jamie B)

Hope your doing fine and thanks for your kind comments . I'm going to try making some more videos as soon as I get some spare time . Been busy building and troubleshooting my new machine along with other thing that have kept me out of the loop . Hopefully I can cook something up in the not too distant future :P:lol::D

Cheers for now

Kraznet

Thanks Kraz!

I'm busy working on the cds. They are working on our building and I have to wear an ear plug from time to time in my right ear while I'm trying to edit! :)

Pushing through! :wub:

Jamie

hi folks,

if someone will do the things by themself shown in the samplitude tutorial vids provided by magix you can find the zipped tutorial VIPs in following post:

=> Tutorial VIPs "Edit and Arrange"

cheers, andy

I think what he's trying to say is that the WS1 and WS2 VIPs mentioned in the tutorial videos on the install DVD can be downloaded from the DL-link in the post "? Where are the Tutorial Vips ?" :P

Best regards from Germany

Steve

Kraznet: One of the things that has suprized me about the samp world is the lack of books and videos for supplimenting the often acedemic manuals . Thanks for the vids!!! You should consider producing a commercial offering (book , or vid) . I'm not saying print 10k or any thing , but there is a need.

Question for all >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> how come sound on sound has almost monthly articles on SONAR but nada for tips and tricks on samp ?????????????

Question for all >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> how come sound on sound has almost monthly articles on SONAR but nada for tips and tricks on samp ?????????????

Keep yours eyes open for the next issues. Eric James will have a regular column in SoS with Samplitude/Sequoia tips and tricks.

Steve

Keep yours eyes open for the next issues. Eric James will have a regular column in SoS with Samplitude/Sequoia tips and tricks.

Steve

:):D:huh:B);):unsure::(:D:D que's fanfare track.............. :D:D:D:D:D:D YES!!! B)

Steve

:DB):):):D:D:D:D:D que's fanfare track.............. :D:D:D:D:D:D YES!!! B)

Just a Heads Up - the May Edition of SoS just arrived on my desk with a very good "techniques / Sampiltude" Article by Eric about the Object Based Processing in Sampliquoia.

The first of many to follow. ;)

Steve

Just a Heads Up - the May Edition of SoS just arrived on my desk with a very good "techniques / Sampiltude" Article by Eric about the Object Based Processing in Sampliquoia.

The first of many to follow. :D

Regular ;) - but not every month. :)

I have just passed on my thanks to Eric via Hugh at SOS with the plea for "regular and very often". :)

But Steinberg users do need more help as they don't have a helpful Forum like Samplitude/Sequoia. B)