Chulio

Dejan Is Very Cool

In this crazy world where everyone is out to make a buck for almost anything we have Dejan

I asked about the Motu 828 a while back because I was considering getting one to use with Sampltude 9 Pro.

He told me his worked good so I got one from Ebay. Trouble was the manual was not included. I thought if it was short maybe someone could copy it as Motu wants $15.

Dejan scanned and sent me it.

That was nice enough for free, but it was 80 pages long.

I am already impressed with people I have met on this forum compared to the Cu bash I mean Cubase

Forget asking for real help there much less a huge favor like this.

Thanks again Dejan you are really a cool person.

Jimi

In this crazy world where everyone is out to make a buck for almost anything we have Dejan

I asked about the Motu 828 a while back because I was considering getting one to use with Sampltude 9 Pro.

He told me his worked good so I got one from Ebay. Trouble was the manual was not included. I thought if it was short maybe someone could copy it as Motu wants $15.

Dejan scanned and sent me it.

That was nice enough for free, but it was 80 pages long.

I am already impressed with people I have met on this forum compared to the Cu bash I mean Cubase

Forget asking for real help there much less a huge favor like this.

Thanks again Dejan you are really a cool person.

Jimi

Hey Chulio!

I know what you mean! Hats off to you Dejan! We haven't officially met... but perhaps I'll drop you a line soon!

Franks is great (and the other Devs.) And Kraznet? Well... he can't be beat!!! :blink:

And who can forget Dr. Funk! (now I see there's 2 of them.) Well... with the help of some good doctors... how can we go wrong!! <_<

Thanks to everyone on the MAGIX/Samplitude/Sequoia forums!!

You're ALL THE BEST!!!!! :D

SEA :D

Part of me does not want to say this, especially cuz I'm new here and I want to be liked <_< but . . . .

I feel compelled to say that while it was really generous to take the time and money to copy such a large manual for a virtual stranger (it really is!), $15 is a pretty reasonable price for an eighty page manual. And . . . of course there is the issue that it's copyright protected material. If MOTU was out of business or even if they refused to sell a manual then it wouldn't bother me so much in this situation, even though it would still be a copyright violation, but since they do have it for sale and they do own the rights . . . .

Sorry to be a stick in the mud and I know this is a highly controversial and hottly debated subject.

Part of me does not want to say this, especially cuz I'm new here and I want to be liked <_< but . . . .

I feel compelled to say that while it was really generous to take the time and money to copy such a large manual for a virtual stranger (it really is!), $15 is a pretty reasonable price for an eighty page manual. And . . . of course there is the issue that it's copyright protected material. If MOTU was out of business or even if they refused to sell a manual then it wouldn't bother me so much in this situation, even though it would still be a copyright violation, but since they do have it for sale and they do own the rights . . . .

Sorry to be a stick in the mud and I know this is a highly controversial and hottly debated subject.

I pointed out the $15.00 because of how nice the gesture was. The fact is the model I am referring to is out of print.

I agree on the subject of copyright infringement. This is not the case though.

As far as $15 being a reasonable price is debatable.

Every other company I deal with has the manuals for free.

I can even get full free manuals from companies I did not even buy from.

Selling a manual to someone who bought it already (not my case) is greedy

They have every right to do it but it is still greedy.

Anyways my main point was how cool it was, and I stand by that.

My mom and some of my good friends will give me a dinner for free but the cafe down the street wont, are they greedy?

Personally I think that it's in a manufacturers best interest to provide downloadable free manuals for both current AND legacy products but that is their choice. Just because their rights can be easily violated doesn't mean its OK to do or is justified. Just because other companies care more about their end users doesn't mean that the end users have the right to dictate how they run their business.

You say that this isn't a case of copyright infringement. Take a look through the manual and if there is nothing stated to the effect of "this manual cannot be copied by any means without MOTU's permission" or it does say "feel free to copy and use the contents of this manual as you see fit" then I'll stand corrected.

I'm sure that the person who sent you the manual had only good intentions at heart, but if they are unintentionally being uncool to someone else while being cool to you, the coolness factor sort of cancels itself out IMHO.

While the Robinhood ideal is romantic, its important to remember that he wasn't stealing apples from poor street vendors to give to the poorer. <_<

Congrats on your choice of buying the Motu 828 Chulio.

I got several Motu parts going up here too, and they all work a treat.

It surely been a nice gesture and above all, a lot of work to scan that manual and kinda " symptomatical " for this fine Company.

Im making bizzo with Magix for some years now and own quite a few audio and video apps by them.

No matter what my problem was they allways responded fast and accurate.

Big thumbs up for Magix and all their guys.

You say that this isn't a case of copyright infringement. Take a look through the manual and if there is nothing stated to the effect of "this manual cannot be copied by any means without MOTU's permission" or it does say "feel free to copy and use the contents of this manual as you see fit" then I'll stand corrected.

I guess one way to clear this up is just to call MOTU (or whoever) and say "Hey... is it ok (since I can't get the manual any more) if a bud I know makes me a copy? :lol:

Also... what about mp3s? Have you evern shared a song with someone (not selling it of course, just sharing it) that an artist did? How does that work in this mix? B)

Best,

SEA

I guess one way to clear this up is just to call MOTU (or whoever) and say "Hey... is it ok (since I can't get the manual any more) if a bud I know makes me a copy? :lol:

Actually SEA, the point is that the manual *IS* available, it just costs $15 from Motu (the product has been discontinued, but the manual is still available).

I agree that it should be a free PDF download from the Motu site.

Actually SEA, the point is that the manual *IS* available, it just costs $15 from Motu (the product has been discontinued, but the manual is still available).

Actually the point is the manual IS NOT available.

I do agree with John and I make a point of not downloading illegal, using cracks, etc

I have 50 plus guitar students and it is crazy the way they think it is OK to use Limewire and others like that.

Even their parents are oblivious to it.

Also... what about mp3s? Have you evern shared a song with someone (not selling it of course, just sharing it) that an artist did? How does that work in this mix? B)

Yes, I have many checkered skeletons in my past closets (or something like that! :lol: ) For a long time I had no clear opinion on copyright infringement and traded tapes of albums with friends occasionally and as long as I did it on a limited basis and wasn't actually selling mass quantities, I didn't see the harm.

But around the late 1980's, after suffering with my new Amiga computer with one floppy, no hard drive the annoying copy protection on my Soundscape Pro MIDI Studio sequencing software (any fans out there? ;) ) and then reading a very clear article by Craig Anderton in Electronic Musician magazine on the reasons to not share software, I made up my mind to not share application software or to give entire albums of music away.

Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not perfect in any way and I draw my own boundaries regarding copyright infringement that are sometimes personal interpretations of the laws. (I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on internet forums B) )

Anyway . . . I'd rather get back to using and talking about my new Samplitude recording software! I should have it by the end of the week! B)

One more thought...

I was speaking with my wife who works for a corporation who deals with copyrights all the time.

When mentioning this thread to her she said "the copyrights on things like manuals are to keep the competition from plagiarizing the manual for their own products... NOT to keep the end user from being able to use the product!" :lol:

I thought she had a good point. B)

Jamie

I guess one way to clear this up is just to call MOTU (or whoever) and say "Hey... is it ok (since I can't get the manual any more) if a bud I know makes me a copy? B)

Actually the point is the manual IS NOT available.

I do agree with John and I make a point of not downloading illegal, using cracks, etc

I have 50 plus guitar students and it is crazy the way they think it is OK to use Limewire and others like that.

Even their parents are oblivious to it.

Hi Chulio,

Hey, I hope you know I'm not trying to make you out to be some sort of copyright pirate or anything just because you got one Xerox manual from someone! ;)

It's just in your first post you said that you were looking for a copy of a manual that MOTU wanted $15 for. So, I interpreted that to mean it was available and for sale. Now you are saying it's not available? :lol:

But regardless of if it is for sale or not or for a discontinued item or not, the copyright holder still retains their rights on it.

Anyway, sorry to have made such a big deal over this.

Hi Chulio,

Hey, I hope you know I'm not trying to make you out to be some sort of copyright pirate or anything just because you got one Xerox manual from someone! B)

It's just in your first post you said that you were looking for a copy of a manual that MOTU wanted $15 for. So, I interpreted that to mean it was available and for sale. Now you are saying it's not available? :lol:

But regardless of if it is for sale or not or for a discontinued item or not, the copyright holder still retains their rights on it.

Anyway, sorry to have made such a big deal over this.

Hey John,

That's what I thought! I thought that the manual wasn't available so someone offered to copy his. ;)

SEA B)

It's cool, and you are right.

It's not like I'm downloading and selling discontinued copies of Praise or Delirium Fix :lol:

There is a certain 'snob' aspect to the cubase.net forums. There are a lot of really good dudes over there, but there are just enough weenies to make it hard to take.

And then there is SEA who got banned for being too positive :lol:

There is a certain 'snob' aspect to the cubase.net forums. There are a lot of really good dudes over there, but there are just enough weenies to make it hard to take.

And then there is SEA who got banned for being too positive :lol:

HA HA HA HA!!! em2.gif

"Anyway . . . I'd rather get back to using and talking about my new Samplitude recording software! I should have it by the end of the week! cool.gif"

I think you will really like it. I keep fnding new things I like about it.

I was alays interested in the product but the cost was so high $1000 +

it was out of the question as I already own Cubase SX3 and and part of Pro Tools HD at the studio.

This is for my home setup and possible Mastering in the future.

I hope you like it as much as I do.

I have similar problem 6 years ago(Akai S100) and someone from the other side of planet helps me out.

Beside of that we have a lot of very cool and very smart people with a lot of knovledge on Sam forum.Thanks to them my learning curve was and still is very fast.Not to mention a very useful things which is not found on manual.

They save me zillion times with their solutions when problems come.

SAM forum is one of the best forums I ever seen.

Back to making music now. :lol:

Dejan

It's cool, and you are right.

It's not like I'm downloading and selling discontinued copies of Praise or Delirium Fix ;)

DUDE! If you can figure out how to get people to buy Delirium Fix CDs at ANY price I'll pay YOU to find out the secret!!!!! :lol:B)