Sign in to follow this  
Scott L Wilson

Samplitude 9 Demo Issues

Hello

I am a Pro Tools user interested in Samplitude or Sequoia 9. From what I've been able to assess, Samplitude is far better sounding than any other application I'm using or have used. I am very impressed with the new features of v9, especially midi implementation. I find it much more intuitive than Nuendo and Cubase.

Here's my dilemma.

The demo version I downloaded has some peculiarities, i.e. bugs. It doesn't function particularily well with the current version of Independence and has some midi wierdness that occasionally crashes or causes playback to halt momentarily. I can't say it's completely stable nor solid.

So....I buy Samp or Sequoia, and this is not an inexpensive proposition, and there is no vast improvement in those problems......then what??? Am I then stuck with a wacky, bug laden version of software and I wait months or perhaps never for those problems to be solved?? The system will be used in a working environment where I'm not interested in having numerous fixes and updates before the system works stably.

And finally, my contact with Synthax in the US hasn't been anything resembling rosy. I wanted pricing and info for a crossgrade and they wanted my credit card number. It wasn't a very good start, as I am interested in getting questions answered first, then the money thing.

So all in all.....does anyone have any insight on my situation?

Many thanks,

Scott L Wilson

OtherWorld Recording

Milwaukee WI USA

Hello

I am a Pro Tools user interested in Samplitude or Sequoia 9. From what I've been able to assess, Samplitude is far better sounding than any other application I'm using or have used. I am very impressed with the new features of v9, especially midi implementation. I find it much more intuitive than Nuendo and Cubase.

Here's my dilemma.

The demo version I downloaded has some peculiarities, i.e. bugs. It doesn't function particularily well with the current version of Independence and has some midi wierdness that occasionally crashes or causes playback to halt momentarily. I can't say it's completely stable nor solid.

So....I buy Samp or Sequoia, and this is not an inexpensive proposition, and there is no vast improvement in those problems......then what??? Am I then stuck with a wacky, bug laden version of software and I wait months or perhaps never for those problems to be solved?? The system will be used in a working environment where I'm not interested in having numerous fixes and updates before the system works stably.

And finally, my contact with Synthax in the US hasn't been anything resembling rosy. I wanted pricing and info for a crossgrade and they wanted my credit card number. It wasn't a very good start, as I am interested in getting questions answered first, then the money thing.

Many thanks,

Scott L Wilson

OtherWorld Recording

Milwaukee WI USA

I agree with you that Samplitude is a great program and my personal preference over Cubase. I agree the demo is very limiting with only 1 min of recording on 1 track. Sonar gives a lot more flexiblity with it's demo. I can't tell you that you will have no problems with Samplitude, but I must say version 9.02 is pretty stable with my older Pent IV 2.8 computer. I had some issues with the demo too, but bear in mind it is a limited program and it does not have the latest updates. Not to mention 9.1 coming soon which will just make Samplitude even better. I would say jump feet first into Samplitude or Sequoia and most likely you will be very happy. I don't see all the complaining on these forums compared to Cubase.

Hello

Here's my dilemma.

Many thanks,

Scott L Wilson

OtherWorld Recording

Milwaukee WI USA

I agree with you that Samplitude is a great program and my personal preference over Cubase. I agree the demo is very limiting with only 1 min of recording on 1 track. Sonar gives a lot more flexiblity with it's demo. I can't tell you that you will have no problems with Samplitude, but I must say version 9.02 is pretty stable with my older Pent IV 2.8 computer. I had some issues with the demo too, but bear in mind it is a limited program and it does not have the latest updates. Not to mention 9.1 coming soon which will just make Samplitude even better. I would say jump feet first into Samplitude or Sequoia and most likely you will be very happy. I don't see all the complaining on these forums compared to Cubase.

Thanks for your response! I have been interested in Sequoia or Nuendo, but it seems that Sequoia is going to be far far better. I'm not digging the mixer in Nuendo 3. It's very crowded looking and not straight-forward. I'm getting Sequoia pricing this week and I'm pretty sure that's that.

Thanks

Scott

[

Thanks for your response! I have been interested in Sequoia or Nuendo, but it seems that Sequoia is going to be far far better. I'm not digging the mixer in Nuendo 3. It's very crowded looking and not straight-forward. I'm getting Sequoia pricing this week and I'm pretty sure that's that.

Thanks

Scott

Very smart move, espeically since they have not ruined Nuendo like Cubase 4 yet, but don't worry they will. Dark screens, difficult to see names of tracks, and very odd work flow. Sequoia is a much better choice.

Not to ruin the party but SAM 9.01 is certainly not all rosy in the midi garden. I can't fault SAM for audio but I'm praying 9.1 will improve the midi side. As an example, do a 4 bar phrase, create a loop object, drag it for say another 8 bars. Fine. Now change the tempo and watch SAM struggle.... .Also, if you are looping over a selected range on midi parts and change the tempo, why doesn' t the loop range stay the same? Just some examples of frustrating 'features' for midi users and there are others on the VSti side but I know these are being worked on. Also what about better support for us Mackie Control users?

Also, if you are looping over a selected range on midi parts and change the tempo, why doesn' t the loop range stay the same

IMO this comes from the convention that the timeline is sample based. The range is the same. When you change the tempo, the Range still is n samples long.

Cheers,

S