Jake68

Beat Detective..groove Quantize

Steinberg users looking for alternatives are always going to miss these features. Not that the beat detection is well implented in Cubendo but its whats holding up many of us none the less.

Are there any workaround or has this functionality been added to Samplitude.

Basically it consists of the ability to analyze an audio part (mostly a drum loop or groove) and extract the timing positions from it and great a offset midi quantize that mirrors those positions.

This can also be done from existing midi files (my preferred method) this allows you to use third party apps for groove from audio extraction. And the existance of this feature in Samplitude would be enough to persuade most programmers.

In short, as it was last checked out Samplitude was a great great audio tool with a good reputation, its just lacking midi features to become a serious music production tool for contemporary music programmers. Very many of whom rely on midi offsets to acheive swing, groove, drive and funk in modern music.

In many other discussions on this (and other) forums, the guys at Magix have said that GQ is coming soon AFTER the 9.1 release. Other features have higher priority.

My opinion is that GQ is a bit of a crutch, when you can just key in the groove yourelf (?).

You can probably tweak the existing beat detective function to get some results approximating what GQ does.

Greg

I agree with Jake68 on this. I haven't used groove quantize alot with sx, and when I did it was okay, but I still had to tweak.

The idea is very cool and sound : Take lets say a Kanye West or Timbaland groove...You want the feel, but you want to add your own sounds, and maybe change the groove a little, but you need the intended groove first..

It is easy to match kick | snare | claps | even the hi hats too, but what you really want is the quantize percentages of the groove. It makes beat matching easier too.

and a drum replacer, well..drumagog, but a beat detective, maybe expand the features of remix agent...its about halfway there anyways.

These are production tools now, and will remain just like the damned MPC. its archaic now, but it beats out daws almost all the time for midi groove quantizes. The closes is logic....and you can shoot me with hollowpoints before I move to logic!!!! :D

Samplitude is killer, a couple of tweaks..and its game over. :)

Can't you rewire something like Cakewalk Project 5? I seem to remember it has all the contemporary midi programming tools. That way you've got the specilaized programming app and Samp's audio editing and FX.

Well, I am heartened to learn of the possible existance of a future Groove Quantize function.

THe idea of using rewire is a good one, but a little like using a hammer to crack a nut.

THe idea of a first class audio midi sequencer that doesnt have this function is a little daft for one so mature as this product.

In discussion with several other potential users its a major missing feature.

There are several other major workflow issues that stop it from being used as quickly as one would expect for a programming tool. But this one stops a whole section of music programmers from considering it against other tools that probably arent as well supported, well developed or as nice to look at!

I'm a musical newbie who's only just learned about the existence of quantisation :) but I agree that Samp would be even better with a "proper" beat analyser like Recycle, BeatCreator or Sonar's Audiosnap. IMHO, an awful lot of people who like to loop stuff, especially hip hop fans, would drift over to Samp if this function was available. Samp can save MIDI grooves, but this would be much more helpful if users could analyse an audio drum track and then save the MIDI groove.

Having said that, I have also just discovered :lol: that the drop-down menu in Samp V8 SE's MIDI Editor features a quantisation option to add swing and offset to drum tracks. :D It's very useful (though difficult to find) but now even a newbie like me can slip and slide. :P Samp continues to surprise me - but that's because there isn't a decent manual or a "How-To" book. B)

Having said that, I have also just discovered :lol: that the drop-down menu in Samp V8 SE's MIDI Editor features a quantisation option to add swing and offset to drum tracks. B) It's very useful (though difficult to find) but now even a newbie like me can slip and slide. B) Samp continues to surprise me - but that's because there isn't a decent manual or a "How-To" book. :D

It would be very very VERY (did I mention very???) VERY COOL if we had a really good start from scratch... like a "Here's how ya do it in Samp" video. :wub:

I mean.. you see these types of things on Sonic State NAMM video demos etc. Like.. you got a dude that stands there saying "Uh.. here's what's cool in version XYZ" or whatever ya know?

Samp has tutorials which are very nice, but I like the down home/here's how ya do it approach!

Kraznet has some good videos he did! :P

I'm waiting on Dr. Funk to get his "FUNK" together and then do some videos with Camtasia or something.

HEY DOC!!! R U LISTENING TO ME??? :)

SEA 1054.gif