Sign in to follow this  
hitch

How To Assign Separate Drum Tracks?

Newbie question:

Is it possible to use one drum machine (I use Computer Music's SR202 VSTi) for a project but then assign the different drums to separate tracks, i.e. Kick to Track 1, Snare to Track 2, etc.? I've always placed all my drums on one track, which meant that any effects affected them all, but now I'm getting ambitious :P I'd like to treat each drum as a separate entity. Or do I have to open a drum machine VSTi for each kick, snare and hi-hat track? :D:o

Thank you for any suggestions. :D

I have not used CM stuff for years but I remember only having 4 outputs for the entire kit.

Kick on 1 snare on 2 hihat and cymbal on 3 and Toms on 4 and the buss the all on aux channels to the same Reverb for the room mic sound.

I also found that if you open all seperate instances for the entire kit the cpu still acted like one was open.

Not like the twelve mic's I use at the studio but I have got great results with 3 mic's.

Depends on the project

Chulio, thanks for the reply. For a freebie, the SR202 is a very nice piece of kit - I can load 16 different drums and pan each one without any trouble at all. I've made some very amateurish drum loops with it, though someone more experienced could do far better, I'm sure. :P It's just that I can't understand how to allocate each drum to a separate track in Samp and I'm not sure whether I do it through the 202 or through Samp. Words like "bus" and "aux channel" bring me out in a cold sweat - that's still too advanced for me. :D I've yet to explore stuff like Send channels and the like. I'll try to work something out. :o