headlands

Done With Cubase, Possibly Coming To Sam...some Q's:

Hello all...I have heard nothing but fantastic things about Samplitude and about the forums here...very different from Cubase right now.

A short history (bear with me): I'm a professional composer who lives in smoggy L.A. - I score a number of TV shows (some of which many of you might watch, who knows!) and do awards shows for MTV and the like. I also do a lot of songs for movies, etc...so it runs the gamut. I've been on Cubase for about 5 years now, and I feel abandoned by the company...I just can't take it anymore. I come from a very strong engineering background, and know my stuff in that regard.

> I know that the workflow in Sam is different...I'd like to hear from some ex-Cubase users here in that regard. I work extremely fast, and it's important for me to have a very smooth and fast interface, technically - doing tons of mouse clicks to get one simple thing done doesn't work for me, and Cubase is pretty good in that regard. I'm 100% willing to learn a new way of working, as long as it's very fast and intuitive once you get it.

> I know that Sequoia has a much more advanced video engine, but all I need is to be able to import QT videos and work to them, locked to the project. I need to be able to shift timecode references to the video, and the like, but I don't need actual video editing capability, really. Do I need spend three THOUSAND dollars on Sequoia so I can use video?

> I use tons of VSTis in my work, as well as ACID loops, etc. How are both of these things handled in Sam?

> Is there a feature similar to Audio Warp on Cubase4 (or the much better implementation of it on Sonar6)?

> Does Sam support DUAL dual-core configurations?

> Any issues with multiple UAD-1 cards?

> Is quantizing MIDI as flexible as Sonar/Cubase?

Any other helpful information would be great...I'm dying to get out of Cubase land. I understand that I'll have a transitional period, but it's worth it to me, especially considering all of the great things I've been hearing about Magix. As you can see, I need to be able to do basically everything on my DAW...I need great a great audio engine along with fast and smooth MIDI capabilities (MIDI is the thing that concerns me about Sam).

I truly appreciate your opinions and help.

Cheers,

N

I work extremely fast, and it's important for me to have a very smooth and fast interface

if you can accept that you will be slower at the beginning, much slower, I'd say there is no general issue here that should prevent you from working fast.

Do I need spend three THOUSAND dollars on Sequoia so I can use video?

I'd say no. If you think later you want it, get an upgrade and pay as much as you would have right from the start.

I use tons of VSTis in my work, as well as ACID loops, etc. How are both of these things handled in Sam?

No ACID Loops, to say it right away. VSTis: check the demo, I'd say.

Does Sam support DUAL dual-core configurations?

Up to 4 Cores in 9.1

Any issues with multiple UAD-1 cards?

If you don't mess up the PCI bus with them, there is no issue, I'd claim. At least if you use them as normal track fx. If you use them as Object FX: just accept that it was not an idea to do that from UADs side. Even if normally there are no issues, it's actually not a mainstream use case, as no other Host has Object FX.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hello N, I am in San Diego and been useing Sam for 8 years. I can not comment about vidio. Dual core is now suported for V9 only. I have UAD cards and they work flawlessly. The freeze function (render effects when needed) is great. Sam is wide open to creat keybaord shortcuts for just about every function and totaly user defined.This is great for building your own workflow. If and when you get Samplitude or Sequoa dig into the object editor. This is where Sam has it's own personality. VERY effective workflow and insane editing! Feel free to e-mail me any questions at KRStudio@aol.com.

Happy hunting

Jeff

Cool, thanks. I've been working intensely with the demo all morning...so far, I really like the object-oriented way of working. Really cool. One thing I'm noticing is that there are more menus and mouse-clicks to do a lot of things. For instance, re-ordering/drag-copying the basic track VST FX inserts, among other things.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to get modifier keys to help with editing in the main arrange page...like "alt" will turn the pointer into the cut tool, etc.? This REALLY helps workflow!

From my limited view right now, it seems more oriented towards audio than composing, which I knew already...but we'll see as I get deeper into it.

I'm still very unclear on the video thing...the Help pages do not really make anything clearer at all, at first glance. If I can't work to video, then I'll have to look at another DAW, unfortunately. $3000 for Sequoia, just so I can do that, is simply not an option. :wub:

hi,

I'm also wondering if there's a way to get modifier keys to help with editing in the main arrange page...like "alt" will turn the pointer into the cut tool, etc.?

shortcuts are so useful that I don't remember the last time I need to change mouse tool... :wub:

I prefer the Split function than change mouse to cut tool.

I'm still very unclear on the video thing...the Help pages do not really make anything clearer at all, at first glance. If I can't work to video, then I'll have to look at another DAW, unfortunately. $3000 for Sequoia, just so I can do that, is simply not an option.

I don't have Sequoia so I don't really know the difference about video, but I can say that Sam is perfect for make sound for video ... not for make video ! :blink:

Phil

Hi Headland,

Sounds like were coming form the same world.. :wub: I do T.V and Fim scoring for a living too...

I `m an longtime ex-cubaser too .. and i found the transition (SX2 -V.7) fairly hard at the time because the midi was so far behind in Samp at the time. But although there are still many advanced midi things in SX .. things are alot closer in V9.1 i must say. and im rarely lacking many features myself.

IF your coming form an engineering standpoint you willl really appreciate how great mixing in Samplitude is... really makes SX feel like a toy... and the native FX and tools are way better.

I`ll try to answer based on my experience so far...

> I know that Sequoia has a much more advanced video engine, but all I need is to be able to import QT videos and work to them, locked to the project. I need to be able to shift timecode references to the video, and the like, but I don't need actual video editing capability, really. Do I need spend three THOUSAND dollars on Sequoia so I can use video? <

You may have to , if you`ll need to score to multiple QT files in 1 project.. Samplitude is just fine if you only need to import 1 file .. since that all it can handle. What ive been doing as a workaround is Rewiring LIve 6 so Samp and runing multiple clips from there.. the only limitation is Live has no HW overlay so i have to watch the Video on my 2nd LCD as appose to my dedicated T.V. out...

Samp. is very solid if you only need to score to 1 QT file at a time though...

> I use tons of VSTis in my work, as well as ACID loops, etc. How are both of these things handled in Sam?<

Using tons of VSTis is fine right now.. but im pretty sure Sam wont import ACID files.. Samp doesnt do Rex files either.. bitch.. but i use RMX to get around that.. :blink:

> Is there a feature similar to Audio Warp on Cubase4 (or the much better implementation of it on Sonar6)?<

Not really...

> Does Sam support DUAL dual-core configurations?<

Yea .. actually were finding that Samp is much more CPU efficient in the Classic engine than Cubase since its limited to a low -latency engine...

> Any issues with multiple UAD-1 cards?

Not really... there is one sort of grafical/play bug... but its been there so long im used to it now...

> Is quantizing MIDI as flexible as Sonar/Cubase?

Probably not. I dont personally like Quantizing so im certainly no expert .. from what i remember the quantizing features are more advanced and user friendly in SX .. but Samp certainly has improved in this area and might just be fine for what you need once you get a handle on it...

Over all, as a total package and just the magix co. in general is head over heals better than Stienberg, so even though i found i had to workaround some issues coming form SX , the switch was well worth it in the end and my mixs never sounded better.

Feel free to PM me with any Q; if i can answer them. Best ,Rich

I was curious if the $399 crossgrade special is still on.

I have been comparing the audio quality to Cubase and indeed Samplitude is superior. My thought is to compose in Cubase and mix in Samplitude but $599 is a bit high for the luxury for me right now.

Thanks,

Brian

Audio warp on Cubase = Elastic Audio in Samp

9.1 has added a better way to drag and drop the inserts to reorder them

Rt clicking on an effect in the list opens the window for that plugin... very cool

9.1 has added so many new features, it is like a whole new program.

(I sent you an email, did you get it?)

Also check out the demo videos that Kraznet did. They are in the sticky section up above in this forum. Also, do a search for Samplitude in YouTube, there are quite a few of the demo vids there too.

"Audio warp on Cubase = Elastic Audio in Samp'

Hmm.. but audio warp in cubase actually stretchs the timeline as well, witch affects you whole project ..not jsut 1 object.. where as in Samp you can T/S the audio with a tool but the time line remains static .

You can pretty much do the same thing setting tempo markers in Samp though. Its just a bit of a long trial and error process , cause theres no Tempo marker tool yet, like there is an audio warp tool . :wub:

Best Rich

I have been comparing the audio quality to Cubase and indeed Samplitude is superior. My thought is to compose in Cubase and mix in Samplitude

That's the way I work at the moment.

About the price: the only way is to ask your local distributor or reseller. I'm sure it's negotiable.

Samplitude is much more powerful in (audio) features.

the midi side is improving with each update.. And I am confident that my issues with it will be solved soon.

Quantizing. I do it all the time. I just wish the quantize window was laid out better..like the one in nuendo. the midi doesnt drift in Samp like it has a tendancy to in cubendo.

I also would like a button on each track telling me Q is on or off. plus the new quantize features are named something i dont quite undestand...

Now..the audio side....well, everybody else has said how good it is so I wont copy or beat a dead horse there.

You'll need to get a handle on the mouse modes..this will either piss you off, or make you as happy as a little girl. :wub:

:(

Yeah,....the very very basic video in Sam is what's holding me back from doing a full conversion from SX. I'll still be using SX 3 for as long as I need to score to picture...works great and fast...

but for simple audio recording, it's Sam or Pro Fools for me...

for speed = hotkeys!

Acid files (wav's) - you can fly the loops in just fine in Samplitude. You can't 'draw' them in like in Acid, but you can bulk-copy along the time line - and it's all non-destructible.

elastic function is great because you can do the stretch by pitch OR time, OR both - on a per object basis!

MIDI functionality in Samplitude 9.1 is awesome and in my opinion matches the other MIDI-centric hosts out there.

video can be imported as .avi's and I'm also toying with synchronizing via MTC with Magix Video Deluxe for other video-centric requirements.

Greg

I finally completed my customers last song with Cubase. Now I am going to only use Samplitude from now on. It was so frustrating to keep using Cubase when I had Samplitude (since we started the project before I got Samp). The only thing I am a little concerned about when I am in a recording session with a client. I know it's going to happen when I need to do something in the DAW and I won't know how. But the only way I am going to learn is by using it. I am hopeful that in 6 months I will know Samplitude as well as I know Cubase since many of the work flow is similar. I am so happy with Samplitude 9.1 :wub:

for speed = hotkeys!

Ditto on the hotkeys. One of the main things that I love about Samp is how customizable it is. Any function that you see in the menus can be set to keyboard shortcuts of your choice using the keyboard shortcut editor (Options --> Program Preferences --> Edit Keyboard Shortcuts and Menu).

This way you can set Samplitude up to work for "you" instead of having to conform to the programmer's way of working. :wub:

Acid files (wav's) - you can fly the loops in just fine in Samplitude. You can't 'draw' them in like in Acid, but you can bulk-copy along the time line - and it's all non-destructible.

Another way is to open the object editor and under the Pitch Shift/Time Stretching dialog check the box that says "Loop On". Now when you move the object node on the right hand side of the object that changes the end of the object and move it to the right, it will create loops which works just like "drawing" them in Acid. Moving the node to the right adds loops and to the left removes loops.

-tkr

Hmm. o.k educate me here..

Samp doesnt keep them ACID`ized , does it ? On import it coverts them back into normal waves.. and removes the timestreachable 'acid" part of the acid file, right ? Then once there waves you can perform Samps native T/S.. ?

I dont work wih ACID files, just REX but that was my understanding... Rich

Samp doesnt keep them ACID`ized , does it ?

Hi Rich :wub:

It's more a case of the Host reading Acidized waves which Samp doesn't . With Acid loops the original bpm is embedded in the file . In an ideal world you would browse for the Acid loop , click on it to audition it and it would sync to the tempo of the VIP while the song plays . Then when you've found the loop you want you would drag it into the VIP and it would be tempo matched to the host bpm . Sonar does something like this . I think Apple loops do a similar thing in Logic Mac . To an extent Acid Pro is less popular than it used to be (they kinda dropped the ball IMHO ) what with he advent Ableton Live and Fruity Loops . Stylus RMX works well in Samp and can achive the same results although there are fewer libraries while there are many Acid loop libraries available. It's alway nice to have lots of loops at hand and being able to audition them in context really does speed up creative workflow . I've never really been a REX guy as that comes from Steinberg and I was a Logic user and used to rewire Acid with it although of course rewiring Acid in Samp is a good option but I prefer to work exclusively in Samp nowadays .

Cheers

Kraznet

Hi Kraz !

Right..so thats how i imagined it.. so Samp really truely doesnt import ACID Files (the ACID feature in the file anyways) ...it just loads them as waves . It doesnt read the imbeded BPM info. like in ACID. You`d have to manually T/S each file for it to do the same thing.

Rex works the same way but the slices just conform to your Hosts tempo . I do use them Via RMX ,but it would be nice if Samp could recognize these formats.

The reason being , is that when you can import a ReX file then you can manipulate the audio slices very easially since its easier to see whats going on with the wave forms than just the midi file and edit groups in RMX.

Its not a big deal, it would just be convienent in some situations :wub:

Cheers , Rich

Hi Kraz !

Right..so thats how i imagined it.. so Samp really truely doesnt import ACID Files (the ACID feature in the file anyways) ...it just loads them as waves . It doesnt read the imbeded BPM info. like in ACID. You`d have to manually T/S each file for it to do the same thing.

Rex works the same way but the slices just conform to your Hosts tempo . I do use them Via RMX ,but it would be nice if Samp could recognize these formats.

The reason being , is that when you can import a ReX file then you can manipulate the audio slices very easially since its easier to see whats going on with the wave forms than just the midi file and edit groups in RMX.

Its not a big deal, it would just be convienent in some situations :wub:

Cheers , Rich

You can always just 'compose' in Acid and then export the whole tracks into Samplitude for sweetening and mixdown.

Greg

You can always just 'compose' in Acid and then export the whole tracks into Samplitude for sweetening and mixdown.

Greg

Sure.. you can probably rewire them too if ACID has rewire... i do that with Ableton sometimes...Best , Rich