dubrichie

Please Help! New Daw, Samp 9 Pro, 3 X Uad-1e, Adc Problems

alrighty,

hi to everyone on the board!

i'm new here, just migrated to Samp 9 Pro from Cubase SX3 and have built a brand new DAW machine, so you can expect me to be frequenting these boards for the foreseeable future!

i have also put in 3 x UAD-1e cards and i need some help getting the system playing nice and running smooth.

config is:

Motherboard: Intel S975XBX2 (updated to latest BIOS)

CPU: Intel E6600

RAM: 2 x 1GB Kingston KHX6400D2LLK2/2G (PC6400, CL4)

GFX: Gainward Pro/660 TV/DVI (nVidia GeForce FX 5200, passive cooling, dual-head)

1 x 160GB Seagate 7200 SATA System Drive (with 3 partitions on it, including 20GB C: )

2 x 500GB Seagate 7200 SATAII Audio Drives (only using a 100GB partition on 1 of these so far for system testing; will be reformatting at full capacity for serious projects when i get the system fully functional and stable, ie ASAP!)

1 x Plextor Plexwrite Premium CD-R (updated to latest Firmware)

1 x Lite-On IT DVD-R/RW (updated to latest Firmware)

1 x Floppy

Win XP SP2 + all available online updates to date

Samplitude 9 Pro V9.1.1

RME Fireface 800 with latest Firmware and Drivers

3 x UAD-1e cards, which i have un-installed and re-installed with the 4.70 drivers just now (as yesterday i had initially installed them from the cd and then updated the drivers)

i am not using any Demo UAD plugins, only the ones i have purchased (most of them!).

now, im getting very sketchy behaviour from the UAD plugins in Samp.

Delay Compensation seems to be unable to cope with them.

if i put some UAD plugins on a mixer channel when playback is stopped, upon starting playback everything is fine, but if i bypass/disable any of the UAD plugins during playback (or enable them, if they are bypassed/disabled) the CHANGE in latency is NOT compensated for.

the channel goes waaaaaaay out of whack/time.

when i open the Plugins dialog for the channel with the UAD plugins i see that they are reporting VERY high latencies; 8192 samples for 1176LN, 8223 samples for Neve 1073, etc.

i have tried adjusting my Fireface Buffer, VIP Object Buffer, Monitoring / Engine Mode, Plugin Buffer and Program Buffer to all kinds of combinations .

i have only succeeded in producing variations of the severity of the problem and nothing at all like a solution.

if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated,

thanks,

regards,

richie.

PS ATT Admin: i would like to be able to post this in the main Samp Forums and have registered my copy of the software, can you please authorize me?

if i put some UAD plugins on a mixer channel when playback is stopped, upon starting playback everything is fine, but if i bypass/disable any of the UAD plugins during playback (or enable them, if they are bypassed/disabled) the CHANGE in latency is NOT compensated for.

I guess that's by design. You need to re-initialize the Audio Engine to have that adapted. I wonder that a bypass gives that effect, though.

when i open the Plugins dialog for the channel with the UAD plugins i see that they are reporting VERY high latencies; 8192 samples for 1176LN, 8223 samples for Neve 1073, etc.

Any other FX loaded? or is that the latency only for these FX? I must confess that here I have not really a clue.

Cheers,

Sebastian

I guess that's by design. You need to re-initialize the Audio Engine to have that adapted. I wonder that a bypass gives that effect, though.

Any other FX loaded? or is that the latency only for these FX? I must confess that here I have not really a clue.

Cheers,

Sebastian

thanks for the quick reply Sebastian.

are you saying that it is intrinsic to the Samp Audio Engine NOT to do ADC dynamically on Mixer Channel effects, ie if i enable/disable a plugin on a Mixer Channel during playback it WILL cause that audio channel to go out of sync with the rest of the mix? that playback must be stopped to enable/disable plugins?

is there a difference between disabling a plugin and bypassing it?

i had no other effects loaded on the 2 tracks i was testing with, 1 kick drum and 1 snare drum track.

the quoted latencies are for those plugins only.

UPDATE:

ive just re-read the manual concerning object versus mixer channel effects and have subsequently tried my tests with object effects instead.

interesting. the problem seems to have disappeared!

i get a little glitch when i bypass / un-bypass an effect, but even with 4 UAD-1 plugins on the one track, it is nothing to be concerned about afaik.

the plugin controls are somewhat sluggish, but im pretty sure that i can tweak this with buffer / audio engine settings.

is this what you were getting at Sebastian? that i was approaching the use of effects the wrong way for Samp, since it is object oriented, as opposed to Cubase / ProTools?

thanks,

regards,

richie.

PS ATT Admin: i would like to be able to post this in the main Samp Forums and have registered my copy of the software, can you please authorize me?

Hi Richie,

See this thread for help getting on the main Samplitude forum :

http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...showtopic=12130

Best of luck with your new setup! I'm also a former SX3 user (I used Cubase since VST5). Unfortunately I landed in the middle of an issue with Lynx and RME AES based interface cards and Samplitude (I have the Lynx AES16 card) I don't think there have been any problem reports from users of any other interfaces so no need for you to worry! <_<

Hi Richie,

See this thread for help getting on the main Samplitude forum :

http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...showtopic=12130

Best of luck with your new setup! I'm also a former SX3 user (I used Cubase since VST5). Unfortunately I landed in the middle of an issue with Lynx and RME AES based interface cards and Samplitude (I have the Lynx AES16 card) I don't think there have been any problem reports from users of any other interfaces so no need for you to worry! <_<

thanks john.

i'm getting my head around Samps design/workflow.

slowly but surely!

i just love some aspects of the program, others i find a bit... odd.

regards,

richie.

Hey Richie...

A couple of us posted on your thread over at the UA forum...

Are you using UAD plugs as object based effects? I can't.

-Scott