Zoot

I Need Convincing....

I need some advice...I'm an ageing musician looking to update my home studio from 16 track hard-disk 'portastudio' to a DAW pc. Researching which DAW software to go with has been a nightmare - but I was very impressed with the review of Sam9 in SOS.

My main concerns are

1. whether this software (Sam9) is going to be newbie friendly

2. Being used to real faders and knobs will I be able to get a suitable control surface to work with Sam? (having read the thread ( http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...showtopic=13451 ) "control surface" this is a big concern). I was thinking of using a Tascam 1884 or similar Mackie model, or if I'm feeling very rich perhaps a tascam DM3200 mixer/controller.

Someone needs to convince me that I would be better with Sam (and a surface that works with it) than protools LE and a 003.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

honestly, Samplitude is great. It certainly can do everything you need.

BUT:

- Samplitude's actual benefit is having non linear-approaches under the hood that hint at different workflows that you might be used to

- HWC controller integration has not been one of the strongest points.

So, IMO Samplitude is of course much better than Digi 003/PT LE. For me. If I was looking for a replacement for a Portastudio, I would go somewhere else. Maybe for Digi.

Regards,

Sebastian

it's the reason it use samplitude.

I remember it took me about 5 min to understand how to record and mix, without reading the manual.

it was with sequoia 7 at a friend's homestudio. I was using logic platinum then and have tried cubase 3 but samplitude is much easier to use than either of them.

I guess, everybody can find that out by using the Demo. The mileage may vary.

I came aboard with V5.2, but I think I would never have made it without the help from a colleague that spent 2h explaining me his workflow. I cam from ProTools then that I was tought to use in University.

/S

hi Zoot,

I think it's very a personal question ... it seems everybody here will say that it's cool, but there's here only users ! ;)

But if you read others forums where there's some non users who discover thru the demo, the discourse risks to not be the same ... B)

IMHO, Sampliquoia is killing all around ! :lol: :lol:

2. Being used to real faders and knobs will I be able to get a suitable control surface to work with Sam? (having read the thread ( http://support.magix.net/boards/samplitude...showtopic=13451 ) "control surface" this is a big concern). I was thinking of using a Tascam 1884 or similar Mackie model, or if I'm feeling very rich perhaps a tascam DM3200 mixer/controller.

I work with a FW1884, and after some difficulties, I must say that it works well, it's not perfect, but it's very nice for basic use. Make a search in the hardware forum, there're some topics about the FW1884 and US2400.

I hope devs will improve again and again in the future versions. ;)

best regards

Phil

I need some advice...I'm an ageing musician looking to update my home studio from 16 track hard-disk 'portastudio' to a DAW pc. Researching which DAW software to go with has been a nightmare - but I was very impressed with the review of Sam9 in SOS.

My main concerns are

Someone needs to convince me that I would be better with Sam (and a surface that works with it) than protools LE and a 003.

Thanks in advance

hi there

I am also not so young anymore (63) and using SAM8.03 since 5 years and find it the best ever daw software.

I've started with Cubase(SX-5.2-Nuendo) went to Protools le (could not afford the real thing), than found sam7.xx and was sold forever. I had it down in a couple of days before i could front clients, record and mix flawless or at least to them it loked like i knew evrithing 'bout the software. soon i stoped using other tools (like ACID to make samples etc) I do everithing in sam and if i had the juce I'd go and update to the latest version, I'm realy impresse the way it looks.

I also use fw1082 now that I'm working from home(a smaler studio) I've made a list of how and what you need to have a good functioning PC-DAW using ASUS and dual core. Asus_Firewire_DAW.doc

good luck

andy.

ps.

for demo of sam resulte go to

www.andy-weil.nl

www.myspace.com/alwfp

and let me know how you go and if you need some help,

do not fear andy is here, and drop me a line.

Thanks for the replies guys...

I'm still no nearer making a decision, there are far too many options these days - its making my head hurt!

Guess I'll try find some unbiased, professional advice in a store that can give me hands-on demos. I'll make sure samplitude is one of the ones I try out.

If i have any more questions I'll be back, and I'll keep looking at the forum threads

Cheers

I bought Samplitude and was so happy I upgraded to Sequoia - and yesterday was the first time that a client I am editing for commented on how great the program was. :unsure:

Why not send a PM to urm eric who did the review and ask him personally?

I went over to him for a training day on Sequoia - well worth it and means I can use it much better.

It's a great program.

You may not find any Samplitude demos in any stores. Most dealers are unfortunately totally ignorant.

If you're in LA there is audiomidi, but I' don't know of any other stores.

Perhaps if you post where you are there may be some users in your area (?)

Good luck,

Greg

San Diego

Guess I'll try find some unbiased, professional advice in a store that can give me hands-on demos. I'll make sure samplitude is one of the ones I try out.

You can always download the Demo Version and have a play at home.

If you start with Samplitude, then youll hvae an easier time with other daws. I started out with cubase / logic and few others and going from them to Samplitude wasnt the easiest of changes for me. but now I wont go back. at least in my home. :unsure:

Samplitude can do what you want it to do. :ph34r: