Sign in to follow this  
mathieujm

2 To 3 Gb Memory Limit

I just saw this article

Microsoft Knowledge Base article 833721

The 3GB paragraph discribe how the 2 gb memory limit could be modified to 3gb in XP.

Has somebody ever tried that with Samplitude ?

I had this info on the Hauptwerk organ site :

"32-bit editions of Windows XP normally only allow any one program to access up to 2 GB of memory. To enable Hauptwerk to use up to about 2.75 GB of memory on 32-bit XP, the Windows boot.ini file (usually c:\boot.ini) must be modified manually, adding the /3GB /Userva=2900 switches in a text editor. This should only be attempted by experienced computer users, since it is very easy to render Windows unable to boot if any mistake is made. Microsoft Knowledge Base article 833721 describes the /3GB switch, and Microsoft Knowledge Base article 289022 explains how to modify the Windows boot.ini file in general. Any such modifications are attempted at your own risk. "

Jean-Marie

I have read today the first time that this should work in the German forum. V 9.1.1 required, and AFAIK the BIOS and the Chipset must support it as well. As a OS you don't need X64. Normal XPSP2 supports up to 4GB. Only if you want to run more RAM X64 would be required, but that would only give you profit for running multiple apps at once. Samp including all VSTis remains limited to 3GB. And: RAM beyond 4GB becomes quite expensive...

/S

Normal XPSP2 supports up to 4GB.

I thought it was only 2GB ?

2GB is the memory limit for software in XP2, unless the 3GB switch is used. With 4GB of memory, XP2 will utilize the other 2GB (or most of it) for the operating system (or 1GB if the 3GB switch is used), leaving the other half for user software. So it's still somewhat useful to have 4GB even without the 3GB switch, because you get the full 2GB for software (no Windows services eating it up).

But there's another issue. I remember reading all the 3GB switch -related topics on this forum a while back, and what I found out was that an application has to be Large Address Aware (LAA) to be able to use over 2GB of memory. Samplitude is not. Therefore, the 3GB switch doesn't really do much good with Samplitude unless you are using other applications at the same time. All VSTis, sample libraries and such you use in Samplitude are using Samplitude's memory space (which is capped at 2GB), so the 3GB switch does not help at all with VSTis and sample libraries either.

This was the case just a few weeks ago (with v9.1.1), if something has changed after that, please correct me. I cannot read the German forum, but the English link posted by Sebastian doesn't really prove otherwise.

SR

Samplitude is not.

9.1. is.

So it's still somewhat useful to have 4GB even without the 3GB switch, because you get the full 2GB for software (no Windows services eating it up).

Correct. But a reasonable configuration of 4GB has a price. Even today.

/S

Samplitude is not.

9.1. is.

I stand corrected. Where was this announced, though? I didn't find anything on the forum nor the changelog.

SR