Ringwraith

Need Help Putting A Quad Pc Together For Samp

Hi all

I'm building a new PC system & would like your input.

I am switching from Logic Pro (old PC version) to Samplitude & have purchased Ver9 Samp Pro.

I'm considering the Q6600 Quad Core & one of the Asus P5K boards. (Win XP Pro)

Also, I will be upgrading my old Delta 1010 to something from RME. (Either the Fireface 800 or Multiface II)

It seems that RME & Samp get along well so I'm hoping it's the smart choice.

So basically I'm wondering if going the Quad core route is advisable & if the P35 chipsets are solid with Samp?

I've read mixed opinions with the Quad/Samp combo. It just seems pointless to buy a Dual core when the Quads

are about the same price. I'm also wondering if I should go with th proven although aging P5B boards? instead

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

FWIW My current (old but solid) set up is...

PIII 1G Win 98SE

Asus CUSL2-C board

Logic Pro version 4.7 (PC)

Delta 1010

Thanks

Sean

I'd suggest registering to gain access to the main forum, you'll get a lot more help there.

regards

Dermot

you'll want the new P35 chipset. ADK Pro audio did some tests and its a better chipset then even the 975xbx2. I think its cheaper too. :P

Core balancing as still a little bit of an issue but that'll be resolved fairly soon I imagine.

Right now ( as in today / this week ) you might gor for a dual core and plan opn getting the next gen quads, as I think by then some issues of core balancing might get resolved. I dont know too much about the issues as I run a dual core myself, but plan to upgrade to the AMD Phenom quads when they come out.

RME multifaceII is preferable to the fireface or anyfirewire audio device. my main cards are emu but I have always thought of upgrading to rme.

get Xp Pro SP2 but dont yet upgrade to SP3 its still a beta I believe so dont trust it yet. Also wait on vista..even AFTER SP1 comes out in January or December. its just not yet ready for full production. My persoanl and professional experience say so :)

DX10 GPU, you can go cheap and get an 8500 or 8600 for not too much and still be able to playu Half Life....not that you should play half life on your daw. :ph34r:

First a question, someone earlier mentioned to register to get onto the main forum. I was under the impression that only registered users of Samp9 can get on that forum. Is that true? I have not purchased Samplitude yet, but I have been playing with the demo and monitoring these forums. I have noticed that this forum here tends to be ignored though.

Regarding Quad vs dual....

I have had some email conversations with the guys at ADK about this. Bottom line: The quad will handle more tracks for mixing and overall is definitely more CPU power than the dual, AS LONG AS the latencies are set higher, say a buffer size of 512-1024. If you want to use lower latencies like a buffer size of 128, then the quad starts to perform much closer to dual performance, and if you got to even lower latencies the quad UNDER-performs the dual. So it just depends on your needs. If you can live with buffer >=256 most of the time, then the quad is definitely more juice, but like others have said, next gen might be better.

IMHO, this is all related to the fact that regardless of how many CPU's or cores you have, you still have some hardware resources that are singular pipes. Memory i/o, disk i/o, caching, firewire i/o or PCI buss i/o, etc... If you have more cores than you do pipes to those resources, then the various cores have to wait their turn to access them. If you have a larger buffer setting, then they will have plenty of time to wait in the buffer for their turn to those resources, which also means lower cpu utilization. However, if you lower the latency, then all 4 or 8 cores will be competing for the same bottleneck and you'll get a traffic jam that either chokes the bottlneck itself(and you get pops and clicks) or pegs the CPU, or both.

it may be quite a while, IMHO before quad and 8 core motherboard technology is improved to really streamline the parallel flow of data to hardware resources in such a way that this bottlenecking does not occur. Unless you are primarily going to use your machine for large latency mixing, you're better off with a dual. it doesn't even matter what Magix may do to samp to take advantage of the cores.

Greetings Dewdman42. I have been a longtime Sam user and will only use ASUS MBs. They are rock solid. Get the quad. Like you said they are about the same price, you have nothing to lose. Sam only sees 2 core at the moment but this is going to change very soon. Use XP sp2 and you will have a solid platform. I find that even heavy track counts with lots of plugs are still bottled by the HD before the computer peaks. I don't get the same results as the ADK guys do with buffer sizes. I get better results at 128 now than I did with my dual so I can say this may vary with brands.

Cherrs

Jeff

First a question, someone earlier mentioned to register to get onto the main forum. I was under the impression that only registered users of Samp9 can get on that forum. Is that true? I have not purchased Samplitude yet, but I have been playing with the demo and monitoring these forums. I have noticed that this forum here tends to be ignored though.

Thats correct, the original poster has already bought the program. There is a lot more activity in the main forum.

Also in the main forum area for new users theres a stickie for current working systems. :ph34r:

I think the Q6600 is around the 250 dollar (us) mark right now :lol: , couple that with 4 gigs of ram or more if you run X64 windows.

keep in mind right now Sampy and all the other daws except sonar dont utilize more than 2.4 or 3 gigs of ram.

but sonars gui is so ugly...who would dream of using it?..j/k. :)

I got the ABIT IP35 Pro recently after reading reports of slower speed and hotter components on Asus boards. It appears Abit and perhaps Gigabyte have taken a recent leap from lead over ASUS in the recent offerings. I'm very happy so far with the board.

Also, after much research, I bought a fanless graphics card - Gigabyte Geforce 8600 GT. I think it's going to do fine. (Love the absence of fan noise!)

Additionally - The Corsair component power supplies (made by Seasonic -- the 520 was sufficient for me) and the Antec P182 case is quite a combo.

While I bought the Q6600, I might have rather gone for the duo core 6850 for the same price. I have not run tests, but it looks like right now the dual-core at faster speed probably wins more for Samplitude. However, for photoshop and video editing -- go for the quad. That said, I'm expecting v.10 to be all over the quad. The Samp developers are awesome.

Craig Allen

I think Vista 64 is the better choice for the operating system. I have had alot of experience with XP and Vista and Vista is far more stable. Don"t believe all the negative press, VISTA is really good. (just make sure your audio card has drivers).