Mark Edwards

Newbie Sequoia Questions

Hi. I am just about to get my creditcard out to purchase a nice shiny new copy of Sequoia, but before I do, a couple of questions for the board...

* Version 10 - how far away is it?

* Will version 10 support Windows XP? I have been severely burned trying to run VISTA now I have gone to the effort of downgrading back to a working OS I don't wish to cause myself any more unnecessary pain...

* How is the software licensed? I.e. can I use it on my laptop (for mobile recording) and also on my desktop back in the studio without having to reinstall each time I want to go mobile? There's only one of me, and I don't want to have to buy two copies! I can barely afford one...

* What is the upgrade path? Is there a support programme that allows the customer access to all future major and minor upgrades as they arrive?

Thats all for now...

Thanks,

Mark.

* Version 10 - how far away is it?

about a week or so for the english version.

* Will version 10 support Windows XP?

Yes. I have no intention of running Vista in the forseable future.

* How is the software licensed? I.e. can I use it on my laptop (for mobile recording) and also on my desktop back in the studio without having to reinstall each time I want to go mobile? There's only one of me, and I don't want to have to buy two copies! I can barely afford one...

The software is licensed through a dongle. Just move the dongle to your laptop and voila Bob's your uncle

* What is the upgrade path? Is there a support programme that allows the customer access to all future major and minor upgrades as they arrive?

There is a maintenance contract at 20% of the package price per annum. This is optional. The download section on this site gives you access to updates, bugfixes etc.

greets

Tim

Hi Mark,

I think Tim has answered it pretty well.

I do exactly this - load Sequoia on several PCs and move the CodeMeter (dongle) to whichever I want to use.

Mostly laptop, but I prefer to burn masters and DDPs on the Plextor drive on the mains machine.

I tend to use Sequoia only for editing, preferring a dedicated recorder for the actual recording - though I am drooling a bit over the Prism Orpheus. <_<

I didn't know about the maintenance contract - I got Sequoia as an upgrade from Samplitude Pro.

If you get v10 you get free upgrades until version 11 comes out and then it's 20% of the price (say about £400) to upgrade from v10 to v11.

Unfortunately I only upgraded to Sequoia 9 about 4 months ago and I will have to pay the upgrade about a year sooner than expected. - ahh well, c'est la vie.

Thanks guys for the contributions - I think I am pretty much set now for the arrival of my copy of Sequoia 10.

Yes, I too drool - particularly over Merging Technologies Pyramix - but that's somewhat outside my budget... no particular wish to use SADIE when I can get Sequoia, which is IMHO better at a fraction of the price...

Very good news about the licensing controls. I just hope that the dongle is robust and survives the test of time...

M

Yes, I too drool - particularly over Merging Technologies Pyramix - but that's somewhat outside my budget... no particular wish to use SADIE when I can get Sequoia, which is IMHO better at a fraction of the price...

Very good news about the licensing controls. I just hope that the dongle is robust and survives the test of time...

M

How is Sequoia `better' than SADiE? Just what is your HO based on? I think this kind of comparison makes no sense - and I speak as the director of a facility that has, and regularly uses for different projects, all three ... As always with high-quality pro equipment, it's horses for courses.

Eric

M

How is Sequoia `better' than SADiE? Just what is your HO based on? I think this kind of comparison makes no sense - and I speak as the director of a facility that has, and regularly uses for different projects, all three ... As always with high-quality pro equipment, it's horses for courses.

Eric

I can almost feel the hairs on the back of your neck bristling as I read your repsonse! ;-)

Seeing as you asked... I have had experience editing and producing classical music on DAE1100, DAE3000, Sonics, SADiE, and Sequoia - though primarily on Sonics - and more recently on Sequoia.

From my perspective I am looking for technology that will allow me to achieve my goals flexibly, creatively and without breaking the bank. Although happy as I am to drool over Pyramix and SADiE as one Clarkson might drool over a Bugatti.... I am funding and building my own rig, so budgets are not - how shall we say - unlimited.

I havn't worked full time in the industry for a number of years, but after so long working in IT one needs to 'go back to ones roots' as it were... Sequoia will help me achieve that.

cheers,

Mark Edwards

BMus Tonmeister - (Surrey)

I can almost feel the hairs on the back of your neck bristling as I read your repsonse! ;-)

Seeing as you asked... I have had experience editing and producing classical music on DAE1100, DAE3000, Sonics, SADiE, and Sequoia - though primarily on Sonics - and more recently on Sequoia.

From my perspective I am looking for technology that will allow me to achieve my goals flexibly, creatively and without breaking the bank. Although happy as I am to drool over Pyramix and SADiE as one Clarkson might drool over a Bugatti.... I am funding and building my own rig, so budgets are not - how shall we say - unlimited.

I havn't worked full time in the industry for a number of years, but after so long working in IT one needs to 'go back to ones roots' as it were... Sequoia will help me achieve that.

cheers,

Mark Edwards

BMus Tonmeister - (Surrey)

Not bristling, just curious - personally I don't drool over tools, but I am keen to know how strong value judgements that seem unsupported get made. Sequoia is fabulous - no doubt about that - and sounds like it is the right choice for you. We got into Seq when our SADiE 24/96 got old and produced a lot of good work with it, but when we could support it financially we got a PCM8 SADiE 5.6 which is entirely different and optimizes our particular workflow in a way that Seq doesn't. Horses for courses, as I said before.

Eric

www.urmaudio.co.uk

Hi Mark,

Sequoia is fabulous and I will get v10 as soon as I can.

SADiE is also superb, but way way out of anything I can afford. Even Sequoia was a lot for a spare-time recordist like myself.

But Sequoia is so superb it was worth the push for me.

Better than SADiE? - I would probably say equal but different - Eric has excellent experience of both and I will take what he says, as he has the first-hand experience.

Eric does excellent courses on both Sequoia and SADiE and worth every penny (I spent a day with him learning Sequoia's source/destination editing).

Eric does excellent courses on both Sequoia and SADiE and worth every penny (I spent a day with him learning Sequoia's source/destination editing).

I've just spent last weekend on a 2-day Sequoia course with Eric, and enjoyed every minute of it! We spent quite a lot of time on source/destination editing using some material I had recorded (violin/piano), then spent the latter part of the course concentrating on Sequoia's mixing capabilities. Sequoia's source/destination editing and crossfading capabilities are worth their weight in gold, and definitely worth an upgrade from Samplitude Pro.

So, many thanks to Eric for giving up the weekend before Christmas to train me - he's an inspiration. Oh, and his coffee is second to none too!

Regards

Mark

I've just spent last weekend on a 2-day Sequoia course with Eric, and enjoyed every minute of it!

Yes - he's excellent.

Sequoia's source/destination editing and crossfading capabilities are worth their weight in gold, and definitely worth an upgrade from Samplitude Pro

Yes - that's the main reason I upgraded.

Actually I may have to go back to Eric again for a bit more fine tuning.

I was wondering whether it would be useful for a few of us to pool resources and have a small group training ???

I was wondering whether it would be useful for a few of us to pool resources and have a small group training ???

I'd definitely be up for that if Eric agrees to it!

I'd definitely be up for that if Eric agrees to it!

Well - this is very well-timed. we are just about to announce an up-grading of our training facilites to allow for group training! There has been a *lot* of interest in this mode so we are investing in an entirely new studio set-up. We are moving to new (well, still basically 19th century) much larger premises in the Spring and will be offering small group (3 - 5) training as well as our one-on-one training.

Maybe this is also the place to announce some up-coming Samplitude columns in *Sound on Sound* as well: there is a full review of Samp 10 Pro due in the March issue, then the long-awaited x-fades article, an article on the new automation features, and then on on the amazing new Am-munition plug-in (fabulous but frustrating!)

Cheers,

Eric

www.urmaudio.co.uk

Well - this is very well-timed. we are just about to announce an up-grading of our training facilites to allow for group training! There has been a *lot* of interest in this mode so we are investing in an entirely new studio set-up. We are moving to new (well, still basically 19th century) much larger premises in the Spring and will be offering small group (3 - 5) training as well as our one-on-one training.

Maybe this is also the place to announce some up-coming Samplitude columns in *Sound on Sound* as well: there is a full review of Samp 10 Pro due in the March issue, then the long-awaited x-fades article, an article on the new automation features, and then on on the amazing new Am-munition plug-in (fabulous but frustrating!)

This is all very good news, Eric! I await the SOS articles with interest, and hopefully a few of us can pool together for some further training later in the year.

Thanks for the info.

This is all very good news, Eric! I await the SOS articles with interest, and hopefully a few of us can pool together for some further training later in the year.

Thanks for the info.

Ditto - I'm up for it.

And I have mentioned several times to Sound On Sound that Eric's excellent Samplitude pages should be more often and regular than now.

Thanks Eric.

I have to say that if you are making your decision based upon money, you are making the wrong choices. Choose Sequoia because it is the right softrware for the job, not because you think that it costs less thAN SADiE or Pyramix. In the first place, SADiE ends up being much cheaper in total cost of ownership. You'll not replace your computer near as often... in fact, you may forget about replacing it for many years. As someone who had a well functioning rig and had no reason to change, and who could have gotten any rig that he wanted, I can tell you that the Magix guys converted me by showing me a superior product for my work flow. My choice was either SADiE or Sequoia, and I feel that I made the right choice (for me) by going with Sequoia. Your needs may differ.

Now to be fair, Sequoia is a work in progress. This is not unusual, nor very different from typical DAW softwares. It has quirks and there are some user complaints. But I feel that the developers are always available to me, and always working to make the product better and address my concerns. I did not get that feeling from some of the other software choices, which is why they did not make the final cut for me. Others that were more 'finished' were limited in fuctionality and did not offer all the features that I neded in my work. (the reason that I changed systems at all...)

I often compare audio software to running shoes... I like New Balance, you like Adias, the next guy likes Nikes, each with a different fit, feel, and finish, yet we all manage to get down the road. Why would there not be a single right answer? Because there is not a single right way of working. I find that Sequoia works for me, and my long time clients that have been with me from the begining are always amazed at what Sequoia brings to the table. Your milage may vary.

Bill