Rockem

I Want A Piece Of Mind ...

Hello all,

so, about 2 weeks ago I ordered samp 9 crossgrade from cubace, didn't pay just ordered

but now I have second thoughts .. :D

when I first enter this forum and other forums I found many happy samplitude campers

and that helped my decision a lot.

but for the couple of weeks I've seen so many problems .. (I'm sick now so I have time for this <_< )

freeze problem

C++ errors

crashes

ppl tracking with other software

UAD-1 problems

latency issues

compability problems (faderport ?)

codemeter fried

slow screen redraw

and on the other hand 4.1 for cubase is out and it seems that it really fixed a lot of things

even performance which is the most important to me as I'm on P4.2 and don't want to upgrade

so now I'm in a dilemma again !

I'm a bedroom producer and

I want a sequencer to do EVERYTHING in it, tracking, mixing, arranging, sequencing, mastering .. everything

what do you think is most suitable ?

for me its :

Cubase :

* cheaper

* more bang for a buck (halion one, not limited as samp classic .. etc)

* more users better compability

* slick screen redraw, better for the eye

* better midi

* more complete than samp9 (10 is on the way but cost money)

Samplitude:

* they say its stable

* they say it sounds better

* better mixer

* objects

so ..

what is your take ?

thx in advance

Eli

Samplitude all the way.

Sounds better = doesn't have a sound. Samp. does not change the sound and it's totally neutral and trustworthy.

I would not use anything else.

Samp all the way. I dread working in Cubase. It is slow and cumbersome, especially audio editing. I use Samp 14-16 hours a day every damn day and it is stable as can be. I have about 20 friends using Sam and every time they have issues I go trouble shoot for them. Since V8 I have not had a true Sam bug, always pilot error or hardware glitch. Unless you are using a Lynx card you should have no problems.

Enjoy!

Jeff

one way to help you decide is to actually compare forum posts. there will always be bugs in any software and hardware combinations. personally, i came from cubase but shifted to samp cause it had the features i wanted.

bottomline: it really depends on your workflow. check out the demo. that's what i did to convince myself.

regards.

Samplitude!!! I used to be a Cubase user until I realized:

1.Cubase was bad for audio editing. I know 4.1 has a new audio editor but is it accurate?

2. 4.1 still has severe Freeze problems.

3. Samplitude's playback ASIO engine is the best...VSTI's in Hybrid mode are the best I have seen.

4. Samplitude has the BEST digital sample rate converter around.

5. Sam has a great batch converter,sounds better, sample accurate editing, restoration,opjects,etc,etc,etc.......

SAM10 looks amazing!!!

Honestly, Samplitude was the best decision I have ever made.... It's such a relief to finally find a sequencer... Just please release version 10.

I guess my greatest fear is that I will regret and will be left with nothing

it is worried me when I see complains about really basic issues

metronome problems ? this is really critical

as well as the C++ error, that shouldn't happen

I see also that there's continues problem with the freeze

this stuff really bothers me ;)

I guess my greatest fear is that I will regret and will be left with nothing

it is worried me when I see complains about really basic issues

metronome problems ? this is really critical

as well as the C++ error, that shouldn't happen

I see also that there's continues problem with the freeze

this stuff really bothers me ;)

hi rockem,

the freeze problem never happened again. only that time when i did something which the vst, in my case kompakt, couldn't handle. it was more of a bug in the vst, not samp.

IMHO samp is still way better than cubase. which is a bit strange cause steiny invented the vst protocol, yet i prefer working in samp rather than cubase. try the demo so you'll know if it works with your current workflow, as well any vsts you have.

regards.

I have tried the demo .. its ok

I don't have problems with samplitude workflow

as I said, I'm afraid of those critical issues, that happens to quite a few folks around

here and other forums

and from reading that seems to happen randomly which is the worst

I switched from SX3 to Samp classic 8 and now have Sequoia 10. And I am not switching back.

Heres what is missing in Samplitude..just to be as honest as possible. Extensive midi editing tools, and midi plugins like step sequencers and such, also ChordSpace playa does not work in sampy. the screen redraw is rfom code that is as old as win95 I think..so it would take some arm turning to "fix" it., but it doesnt kill my workflow. I'd also like to see the midi info recorded as little notes instead of dots or lines on my arrange page..but thats another quest. ;)

Okay, if MIDI is all you do and you edit midi like your going to die tomorrow, then as of right now, stick with Cubase.

HOWEVER, if you really just redo your midi takes or just correct some notes here and there, then those features you probably never really used....like the step sequencer, chord player, etc. Myself and a few others keep getting under Volker and Andre's skin about new midi features ;):( , but they are very receptive and have even taken on a few ideas we spat out. Now where did I put my contract. B)

Samp used to have terrible midi timing and recording issues, which have all been fixed as I use Kontakt 2 /3 Battery3 / atmosphere / trilogy / stylus rmx / addictive drums / bfd / guru..etc...and can atest that all work great. :P

Now for audio....Dont even try to compare this beast to something else. they will fall. Simple honest truth. I transfered projects from so many other apps, adobe audition, vegas, Fl studio, cubase, nuendo, Pro-Tools, Live, Digital Performer.....and Samplitude Kills them all.

Digital Performer sounds the worst to me, so casio.

Best Cubase version for me was 1.0 on ATARI long time ago B)

Few years ago newer versions of Cubase newer works better than Logic 4.81 or 5.51- midi timings and audio.

So at the end I switch to SAM and never regret that. ;)

A lot of people are still on logic 5.5.1 for the midi features. If Sampy can get some of these, then I wouldn't even mention it anymore. ;)

Thats all really, since vsti's are such a hot commodity, then naturally the midi side of any daw needs to be able to do what you want / need it to do. but really its no biggie, as Im sure magix have some ideas up their sleeves for updates to 10. B)

A lot of people are still on logic 5.5.1 for the midi features. If Sampy can get some of these, then I wouldn't even mention it anymore. :)

Thats all really, since vsti's are such a hot commodity, then naturally the midi side of any daw needs to be able to do what you want / need it to do. but really its no biggie, as Im sure magix have some ideas up their sleeves for updates to 10. :)

With Samp. 10's latest MIDI upticks in features such as full automation, I believe Magix closed the last of the 'gaps' between it's native MIDI functionality and something like Cubase.

Even with V9.x I found myself no longer needing to go external to Samp. for ANY MIDI functions, and I'm getting pretty deep with MIDI guitar, routing/layering, sequencing, comping, etc.

I personally think the 'MIDI argument' is over. Besides, it comes down to the AUDIO quality, and NOTHING beats Samplitude. I don't CARE what anyone says about the other hosts anymore. Believe me I've done my own tests over the past 12 years + in DAWS (Atari Logic anyone), and am not turning back after using Samplitude since V5.x.

The problems people have seem to be very sparse compared to the number of users that have stable systems. I've read through the other hosts' forums and see a LOT more complaints about bugs and incompatibilities with computer setups or VST's, or whatever.

I say stick with Samplitude and we'll all help you have fun and keep things stable! :)

Greg

Oh big time on the audio side. I agree. I have access to Nuendo 3 / Cubase 4 (.1 sucks btw ) , Adobe Audition, PT HD3, Final Cut Pro, Vegas, etc..for the different places I go and things I do, but for pure audio..samplitude / Sequoia is top notch.

There are for me and some of the producers I work with, some MIDI only features that are right now either missing or ALMOST implimented in sampliquoia. Not a lot of stuff, but stuff we are all used to. Multi-Overdub being taken out because of its issues is kind of a let down, but I know they want to fix it and bring it back.

The midi plugins in cubase / logic, are things that actually get used quite a lot with people I work with. If SAM-DEV came up with even just a couple good ones, yeah I could easily make permanent sales for Magix, man I so want to do that too. Make Chicago a Samplitude / Sequoia town. Damn! :)

But to get back to the origional posters query : If you choose Samplitude, we are here to help. if you go Cubase, you have cubase.net ( wich I can honestly say needs a fresh start )

Oh big time on the audio side. I agree. I have access to Nuendo 3 / Cubase 4 (.1 sucks btw ) , Adobe Audition, PT HD3, Final Cut Pro, Vegas, etc..for the different places I go and things I do, but for pure audio..samplitude / Sequoia is top notch.

There are for me and some of the producers I work with, some MIDI only features that are right now either missing or ALMOST implimented in sampliquoia. Not a lot of stuff, but stuff we are all used to. Multi-Overdub being taken out because of its issues is kind of a let down, but I know they want to fix it and bring it back.

The midi plugins in cubase / logic, are things that actually get used quite a lot with people I work with. If SAM-DEV came up with even just a couple good ones, yeah I could easily make permanent sales for Magix, man I so want to do that too. Make Chicago a Samplitude / Sequoia town. Damn! :)

But to get back to the origional posters query : If you choose Samplitude, we are here to help. if you go Cubase, you have cubase.net ( wich I can honestly say needs a fresh start )

Actually, I've been doing more label remix work almost exclusively using 99% Sasha's plugins. Ammunition is friggin' awesome!

Greg

Some of my friends do that. house guys from chicago mostly. :)

yeah, am-munition is killer. You check out full house radio at all? I get some good inspiration from that site.

fullhouseradio.com :)

yeah, am-munition is killer. You check out full house radio at all? I get some good inspiration from that site.

I have to point out that am-munition (and also the great am-track, am-pulse and am-phibia) is only in Samplitude Pro :)

am-verb (called variverb) is also in classic though, also the dynamics effects etc etc.

Greetings,

Frank

Oh, okay...my mistake. :)

As a big UAD-1 supporter, I can honestly say that Magix's/SAM's VST suite comes pretty close to what UA delivers. Maybe better at times.

The problem with SAM (and this may not be a problem for most, but is a problem for converts) is that there is too much. You get way more bang for your buck with SAM. Considering you'd have to buy WavLab to complete the C4 comparison. That puts you into the SAM Pro range and Cubase still doesn't give you the cool plugs that SAM does.

Now, UAD compatibility..... :) It's not the best, but this is partly UA's fault. If you go to VST setup and switch it to -2 (for fixed asio buffer) then SAM runs pretty smooth. Whether that's in Hybrid or Standard Engine. Hybrid will breed less Native CPU munching than the Standard Engine. I wonder if the new SONAR switch, in the UAD menu, would aid in reducing Native CPU munch in SAM when not using Hybrid Engine.

In the long run, you'd be better of going with SAM over C4, IMO. I come from the STEINY school myself and had a very hard time learning SAM. After almost 2 years, it is finally sinking in. Mostly from a lot of de-learning the old STEINY way of working.

Yes Steinberg has the most UAD compatible software, is a little cheaper and comes easy to you.

However, Samplitude is the next step. Better plugs, clean & transparent Engine, bus freezing and you can edit the frozen track, cd burning, better dithering and sample rate conversion, faster work flow (once you get the hang of it), object based effects! The list just goes on and on.

I still wish we had full Quad and OCto CPU support, but I'm sure that's just around the corner.

on a side note... Anyone dig into AMMUNITION yet? I can't find any detailed info on the SAM site? :)