KoolRifz

Am I Thrashing My Daw Rig?

I wanted to post this in Hardware but I'm waiting to be giving permissions to post. As I'm approaching a recording date on Monday, I'll post here.

I'm a school teacher and after giving the IT fellas the specs for a pretty hefty DAW rig to run Samplitude 10pro, they bought me an HP xw4400. View specs here

I'm getting errors when recording and mixing.

RECORDING

This is what I'm doing when I'm recording educational material:

Tutorial 1

- create a 32 bars of drum and bass in Reason and export as WAV.

- import WAV (60MB) into samplitude track 1

- record me playing 32 bars on track 2

Tutorial 2

- reuse the 32 bars of drum and bass from track 1 by copy and paste

- record me playing 32 bars on track 2

I'll repeat this process 5 or 6 times and in doing so I eventually start getting errors creeping into the recording.

Mixing

16 tracks

using a combination of AUX effects and individual track effects.

IT reaches a point where the playback is stuttered and

What is a reasonable amount of VST plugins to use before the system starts to vomit?

I tried to use EQ on the mixer as much as possible to avoid using VST plugin presets.

Is this the computer or me? Am I being unreasonable? - Hope it's me.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I know the XW 4400 pretty well. It is a reliable computer.

You need to check the state of HD and CPU at the time the errors occurr. Doctors use a method called "differential analysis". I'd claim it applies analoguously in such cases.

Also, make sure that you use the hybrid engine in V9. Otherwise only 1 core will be running.

Good luck,

Sebastian

hi Rob,

Some questions for you:

What operating system? (XP, Vista or?)

What sound card / audio interface? (the integrated audio, the optional Soundblaster or?)

Are the two hard drives configured as a RAID 0 or 1 or are they just seperate drives?

If they are seperate drives, are you recording/playing back from the drive that has the operating system on it (C: drive) or from the other drive?

best of luck!

Thanks guys. John I see where you are going. Good stuff!!!

What operating system? (XP, Vista or?)

XP

What sound card / audio interface? (the integrated audio, the optional Soundblaster or?)

Presonus Fire Studio

Are the two hard drives configured as a RAID 0 or 1 or are they just seperate drives?

Got 2 HD's but one is my music library of 250GB. Maybe I should move that to my ext hard drive and config raid? Never configed raid before but I don't mind another learning curve. Is it necessary? I'll serch the forums for raid too.

If they are seperate drives, are you recording/playing back from the drive that has the operating system on it (C: drive) or from the other drive?

I'll sort it out so C: is just programs.

Thanks again,

Rob

Hi again,

I actually would skip the RAID in your situation. A seperate drive for your operating system/programs and a seperate drive for what you are recording/playing back will be best in my opinion. (When you say "music library" are you talking for iPOD/mp3s etc? ;-)

I'd get that setup and then if the problems show up again take a look at your hard drive and CPU performnce like Sebastian suggested. Try to determine if it's one or the other or both that is getting bogged down.

Don't forget to defrag your hard drives too.

Cool thanks. All very logical. New experience for me coming off hard disc recorders into computer land - I've been using roland vs1680.

Yes, mp3 library. I've digitised my CD collection ;-)

I'm going in to set up tomorrow so I'll probably have a few more questions after that. :blink:

Thanks again,

Rob