shotofrock

Thinking Of Samp 10 Pro

Hi Guys

I am thinking of getting SAMP 10 pro. i was wondering if you could toss me some answers here and tell me if you think its a good fit for me

first i do have a pretty long history of recording and understanding DAWS. i first used SAWstudio for a coupld of years and now have both sonar PE 7 and cubase 4.1, as well as reaper. i use cubase for sessions with other cubase friends and am using sonar for my main DAW. that being said

my setup is

quad core q6600 2.4 OC to 3.0

4 gigs ram

xp home sp2 tweaked for audio

4 HD 7200 rpm sata 2

RME FF 800

i am 99% audio which is why i am interested in samp, i have read that for non midi guys like myself this is probably the best, compared to cubase and sonar. both of which concentrate alot on midi and do it well

ok some quick questions

1) i have alot of VST plugs such as IK multimedia reverbs, waves, URS etc and they are either in my cakewalk vst folder or cubase folder, both of those programs allow you to scan another programs vst or plug in folder and oad them into the current program, in SAMP can i scan both programs VST folders to use those plugs?

- how is VST support in samp?

2) any issues with an RME FF 800??

3) how does SAMP HANDLE SOFT SYNTHS? i can use and hope to use the sonar and cubase ones in SAMP.

4) how does SAMP handle quad core machines? any special tweaks for this? i record at 44.1/24 and usually have a buffer setting in at 256 and mix at 128 or so. what do you guys set your buffers to?

5) i have a mixed logic M24 controller, anyone by chance have this and how does it work with samp? i have heard SAMP is not so good with front end controllers but does it work well with any protocol??

www.mixedlogic.com

thats my initial questions

thanks for any help and i am sure i will think of more as the day progresses

oh how is support from the company??

after steiny i am prepared for anything

thanks

Hi Frock ,

I can`t answer all your Q: but..

1) i have alot of VST plugs such as IK multimedia reverbs, waves, URS etc and they are either in my cakewalk vst folder or cubase folder, both of those programs allow you to scan another programs vst or plug in folder and oad them into the current program, in SAMP can i scan both programs VST folders to use those plugs?

- how is VST support in samp?

Yes you can scan a bunch of diff locations in Samp.. dont worry bout it... VST support in samp is very good IMO.

2) any issues with an RME FF 800??

I use Multiface flawlessly here but ive hear the FF is excellent too..

3) how does SAMP HANDLE SOFT SYNTHS? i can use and hope to use the sonar and cubase ones in SAMP.

Im pretty sure you can`t use the Sonar and SX VSTi`s in Samp ..but any other ones are kosher.

4) how does SAMP handle quad core machines? any special tweaks for this? i record at 44.1/24 and usually have a buffer setting in at 256 and mix at 128 or so. what do you guys set your buffers to?

Not sure theres any advantage to 4 cores with samp at this time. but 2 cores are defiantley being distributed well here...

5) i have a mixed logic M24 controller, anyone by chance have this and how does it work with samp? i have heard SAMP is not so good with front end controllers but does it work well with any protocol??

HW contrroller havent been Samps strength in the past but magix has recently hired a HWC wiz named Falcone and hes done a great job so far bringing things up to speed with V10.

Yes Samp Rocks for audio and mixing but its also holds it own in the midi dept. VSTi`s ...Score...Multiobject editing.. you can do alot (not all) of the same things that you can in SX .

The support is very good. The Dev. are often answering Q: on the Forum and listen to alot of requests etc... a far cry from Stieny land ... :huh:

Cheers , Rich

Hey , Yea it is ( within reason ). Theres a bunch of diff. skins available from Orangehillaudio and Bird..something.. cant remember the name. as well as a bunch of free cool ones from long time users... Best , Rich

Hey , Yea it is ( within reason ). Theres a bunch of diff. skins available from Orangehillaudio and Bird..something.. cant remember the name. as well as a bunch of free cool ones from long time users... Best , Rich

Orangehill's skins are great, and my latest favorites are the Birdline skins. Very nice.

http://www.birdline.gr/

Greg

Couple more for you

1) can you group faders easily? in that i selec track 3-4 and 7 and put them into a group so one fader moves them all?

2) is it easy to label inputs from my RME FF 800? i have 4 inputs now (api, pendulum quartet, la 610, and sebatron thorax) and i want to label the input

api

quartet

thorax

and ca i label my output to my macki bigknob - to bogknob?

3) was looking at the bird skins (very nice) is it easy to order if your from the US though? not sure how to pay with it in euro's

4) how is automation with samp pro 10? i don't need to automate plugs often, but how is it with third party stuff? and i take it the basics are good, fader rides, pan, mute, etc?

5) is there a dither plugin included? how is the wuality if so? do i need to activate or buy it seperately, that thru me in sonar and was a PAIN

6) is it easy to set up project templates? i normally use a 32 or 48 track template with ez drummer, addictive drums or stylus RMX in addition to 32-48 audio tracks.

7) how does samp work with ez drummer or addictive drums? does it set up properly with the multi track outs of those programs? i like 8 tracks set to the main midi track to control mic'ing in thos programs

8) how good is the hardware insert? if i want to use some outboard reverbs or comps etc?

9) dumb question here but you can set up samp to work on dual monitors correct?

10) hos is ASIO implementation with an RME FF 800?

thanks for the ehlp guys, i just found out my M24 will work with samp v 10 so i am moving forward!

1) can you group faders easily? in that i selec track 3-4 and 7 and put them into a group so one fader moves them all?

*YES

2) is it easy to label inputs from my RME FF 800? i have 4 inputs now (api, pendulum quartet, la 610, and sebatron thorax) and i want to label the input

api

quartet

thorax

and ca i label my output to my macki bigknob - to bogknob?

*YES, but you can only label in the project. I don't think it's possible to label the actual input in the system settings.

3) was looking at the bird skins (very nice) is it easy to order if your from the US though? not sure how to pay with it in euro's

*I found it to be pretty easy. Don't know how he does the conversions, but today's prices is approaching $1.50USD to 1Euro.

4) how is automation with samp pro 10? i don't need to automate plugs often, but how is it with third party stuff? and i take it the basics are good, fader rides, pan, mute, etc?

The basics are good (volume/pan). No automated mute (yet, they are working on it), other MIDI controllers on 3rd party synths, etc. I find are very good, but may be considered cumbersome if you're used to other hosts' approaches to automation. However, there IS a lot of flexibility in assigning, coloring, viewing, editing, reading, overwriting, 'touch/no touch', etc., and it's been stable here.

5) is there a dither plugin included? how is the wuality if so? do i need to activate or buy it seperately, that thru me in sonar and was a PAIN

*Dithering is included, is very good quality overall, and is one of the top included features in Samplitude.

6) is it easy to set up project templates? i normally use a 32 or 48 track template with ez drummer, addictive drums or stylus RMX in addition to 32-48 audio tracks.

*This is simple. I have a 24-track starter template using dfhSuperior drums, Atmosphere, guitar channels, vocal channels, etc. all ready to go, including all plugins, EQ, etc. Love it.

7) how does samp work with ez drummer or addictive drums? does it set up properly with the multi track outs of those programs? i like 8 tracks set to the main midi track to control mic'ing in thos programs

*Like I mentioned in #6. It integrates well with dfhSuperior, so should be fine with EZdrummer. I don't have addictive, but Samplitude loads up extra channels - in various configurations of your choosing - for multichannel plugins.

8) how good is the hardware insert? if i want to use some outboard reverbs or comps etc?

*This is relatively new feature that I honestly don't use very much, but once it's configured for delay compensation, etc. I found it to be pretty good. I've tested it with external TC and Eventide effects with no problems.

9) dumb question here but you can set up samp to work on dual monitors correct?

*Yes. I have it running on 4 (!) total (because I'm nuts, and my eyes are getting old) using TripleHeadToGo (3 Dell monitors), and an extra 20" monitor. I use the main 3 for tracking and large mixers, and the 4th monitor for all the plugins and such. It's sexy and looks great for clients.

10) hos is ASIO implementation with an RME FF 800?

*RME in general is very Samplitude friendly. I have an older Multiface I that is rock solid on my laptop. I don't have the FF, but haven't heard of any problems.

Have fun!

Greg

I think some of the options you get in Samplitude are more intuitive than cubase. Cubase looks prettier, thats about it, but as some have said, you can get some really nice looking skins. I like unempty's skins. Havent bought the others yet.

vst/i supprt in samplitude is very good. I like the options window that comes up when you install a multi channel vsti like independence or kontakt. Its great now and will continue to get better.

the object based editing is bar none the best. so much control and its right there for you.

The basic way its organized, lets say vs. cubase, could be slightly improved, but its not a show stopper. For me its just some windows for functionality could be condensed in to fewer windows..that about it really.

I use Addictive Drums / BFD / Stylus / Drums Overkill (kontakt player) / Dr-008, and all work great. Yes you can drag and drop midi files from the vsti into the host. the new quantize window helps a lot for good feel in the drum programming.

Whats very cool is the fact that Magixx have not stood still with Samplitude and Sequoia. They do tke our input very seriously and even come to the forums to answer inquiries wich I just dont see with others.

The audio is just killer. You'll like it a lot comparred to cubase and sonar.

Guys

thanks so much for the replies, i am pretty sure this is a go for me.

thanks for everything

the demo loaded easily and i started setting it up with my stuff and it was smooth and easy.

one last dumb one here,

1) my audio PC is not on the internet, and i was trying to find out how to register samp this way, i really do not want to put it on the internet even to register. is there a way to register samp without being on the internet? not a show stopper at all but in addition to my not wanting the pc on the internet, the way its racdked (rack mount pc) its a real pain for me to get behind the desk and run a cable into the NIC

ok guys

thanks a ton!

Guys

thanks so much for the replies, i am pretty sure this is a go for me.

thanks for everything

the demo loaded easily and i started setting it up with my stuff and it was smooth and easy.

one last dumb one here,

1) my audio PC is not on the internet, and i was trying to find out how to register samp this way, i really do not want to put it on the internet even to register. is there a way to register samp without being on the internet? not a show stopper at all but in addition to my not wanting the pc on the internet, the way its racdked (rack mount pc) its a real pain for me to get behind the desk and run a cable into the NIC

ok guys

thanks a ton!