shotofrock

Any Ex Cubase Or Sonar Users?

When controls are grouped in sonar, you can choose from various colors. The color appears only as a small dot on the control though. It is not always obvious.

Thanks for the info about track fx presets.

Transferring mixer setups, is that done through the "mixer setup" dialog (SETUP button on the mixer)?

What I was writing about concerning track templates in sonar is very helpful in this example:

I'm recording in a project and the time comes to record the drumset which needs 10 tracks. In sonar I have a template that I can insert in the current project which automatically inserts a folder with the 10 tracks, with names, fx, routings, and a submix bus. This can be done with 3 keystrokes. (As far as I understand, in samp I must open another VIP that I have created the "template" in, select the tracks, copy and paste them into my new project, and put them into a folder again (the folder doesn't transfer across), make a bus, and route the new tracks to that bus.)

To clarify about sonar's track lanes, that means that there are tracks within a track, all under the same track controls.

Thanks for reading these and your replies!

Just for the record, I too am a former cubase/sonar user happily using Samplitude for the last 6 months.

I think it's always important when discussing the "stability" of one app or another to comment on how deeply one uses said app. I use Samplitude for both extensive audio recording and midi/softsynth recording - I have a reasonably large collection of VSTi's including Native Instruments and Spectrasonics products. For me, on a dual core audio only computer with all the standard tweaks for audio, Samplitude has been absolutely rock solid. It has not crashed ONCE. Even with projects with 24+ tracks loaded with audio, softsynths and effects.

I always found Cubase reasonably solid up to and including SX3, but was turned off by the company's general attitude/less-than-stellar reviews of version 4. After crossgrading to Sonar PE v.6, I really tried to like the program, but couldn't believe how much it crashed. There seemed to be something seriously wrong with the way it handles VSTi's specifically - at least on my system, but even just using basic audio caused problems, despite using optimal settings in all cases.

The bottom line is: on an identical system, optimised for audio recording, performing the same tasks under daily usage, Sonar was MUCH buggier than Samplitude.

I stress that this was MY experience - maybe Samplitude just works better with my hardware - who knows why...

Just for the record, I too am a former cubase/sonar user happily using Samplitude for the last 6 months.

The bottom line is: on an identical system, optimised for audio recording, performing the same tasks under daily usage, Sonar was MUCH buggier than Samplitude.

I stress that this was MY experience - maybe Samplitude just works better with my hardware - who knows why...

This has been my experience as well. Sonar has it's strengths in the GUI and workflow department but all that window dressing don't mean a thang if it crashes and hiccups constantly. Having said that, I have seen numerous people complaining about Sam crashing and hiccuping too so who knows what to believe. I guess no matter what DAW you buy, it's a gamble. All I know is Sam seems to have a much more robust audio engine compared to Sonar and that's the thing that means the most to me. I like the fancy colors and other things but at the end of the day, when clients are watching over your shoulder, I don't want the thing to stutter and hiccup EVER. Rock on Sam!

A couple of things I've noticed with Samp and Sonar (I have an older Samp v7 and Sonar 6)...

1. Try some simple things like normalizing in both apps. Samp can independantly normalize differen objects almost instantly. Sonar take forever to normalize. I don't know why but it's annoying. Maybe the two programs are actually doing two different things I just don't know it!

2. When I load up the cpu using vsti, Samp will run smoother at high cpu use than Sonar. Sonar starts to bog down faster.

3. If you need to edit your .wav files (ie use a pencil tool to remove a click), Sonar can't do this while Samp can. With Sonar you need another audio editor

4. Sonar is maybe the most progressive company in some respects. I think they were the first to support Vista and appear to be working hard with the stakeholders in getting 64bit working, WaveRT working, MMMCSS, etc....

5. both programs have some nice plugins, it's difficult to give one an edge over the other but Sonar probably wins out with Dimension LE.

cheers

A couple of things I've noticed with Samp and Sonar (I have an older Samp v7 and Sonar 6)...

5. both programs have some nice plugins, it's difficult to give one an edge over the other but Sonar probably wins out with Dimension LE.

IMO, the really good plugins didn't start coming in Samp until v8 when they first implemented Sascha's AM Suite plugins. Variverb, Munition, and Phibia are my personal favs. :)

-tkr