Sign in to follow this  
roger//////gitarre

How Is Vista Ultimate 64 Bit?

I know Dr. Funk uses it although he had had some hair pulling trouble. :( Does Magix like and recommend Vista Ultimate 64 bit?

I see the occasional thread opened but no real answers to what actually is wrong with it. What is the major setback? Is it particularly difficult to streamline into audio shape.

It just seems inevitable to have to go that route, especially with laptops. I just want to know if a lot of the XP pro 32 bit audio laptops you see out there are really worth their premium price or should we just move on?

It will install. And you'll be able to use it. Oh, AND it will address 4 gigs of ram. :(

You can buy vista retail OR oem. install and not activate for 60 days, so you can sell it later if it doesnt pan out. :P

It will install. And you'll be able to use it. Oh, AND it will address 4 gigs of ram. :lol:

You can buy vista retail OR oem. install and not activate for 60 days, so you can sell it later if it doesnt pan out. :)

What will address 4 gigs of ram, Sequoia? I thought there was a RAM switch? :blink:

Thanks.

the /3gb ram switch in the boot.ini is a workaround for the 2gb limit imposed by 32-bit windows. if ur usin 32-bit windows you should be using that switch. very helpful!!!!!

64-bit allows for accessing up to 128gb of memory natively so you wont need the switch anymore.

however, as sequoia is still a 32-bit app, even in a 64-bit environment it still has those 32-bit limits. but now they can be accessed in full by default rather than requiring a switch or any further tweaks (it is laa too, i believe, which is handy). once seq and samp are 64-bit they will have access to 128 gb of memory.

hth

jj roberts

the /3gb ram switch in the boot.ini is a workaround for the 2gb limit imposed by 32-bit windows. if ur usin 32-bit windows you should be using that switch. very helpful!!!!!

64-bit allows for accessing up to 128gb of memory natively so you wont need the switch anymore.

however, as sequoia is still a 32-bit app, even in a 64-bit environment it still has those 32-bit limits. but now they can be accessed in full by default rather than requiring a switch or any further tweaks (it is laa too, i believe, which is handy). once seq and samp are 64-bit they will have access to 128 gb of memory.

hth

jj roberts

Thanks for the help. What is LAA?

I realize that Samplitude/Sequoia can't access more than 2G of RAM, I think I was mainly wondering how it runs on the Vista ULTIMATE 64 system in terms of performance with 4G of RAM being used by the OS.

Roger

laa means 'large address aware.' it is the reason seq and samp *can* access more than 2 gb of memory, even in a 32-bit system. if you have 4 gb of ram (the max permitted in a 32-bit system), half will go to windows and half to your apps. with the /3gb switch, you can re-allocate so that 3gb goes to apps and only 1 gb goes to windows. however, if the application in question is not laa (large address aware), you'll still only be able to squeeze about 1.6-1.7 gb out of it. if it is laa, you can then push your apps to 2.7 gb of memory (sometimes as high as 2.8 ot 2.9 in some colleagues' setups ive seen).

basically, even with the /3gb switch your apps are limited to 2gb of memory unless they're laa.

if apps are not laa, you can get a program called laatido which hacks the executable and makes it laa. some copy protection systems dont like it when the .exe has been modified in any way, but ive used it on acid pro, energy xt, and kontakt 2 without any problems.

jj roberts

laa means 'large address aware.' it is the reason seq and samp *can* access more than 2 gb of memory, even in a 32-bit system. if you have 4 gb of ram (the max permitted in a 32-bit system), half will go to windows and half to your apps. with the /3gb switch, you can re-allocate so that 3gb goes to apps and only 1 gb goes to windows. however, if the application in question is not laa (large address aware), you'll still only be able to squeeze about 1.6-1.7 gb out of it. if it is laa, you can then push your apps to 2.7 gb of memory (sometimes as high as 2.8 ot 2.9 in some colleagues' setups ive seen).

basically, even with the /3gb switch your apps are limited to 2gb of memory unless they're laa.

if apps are not laa, you can get a program called laatido which hacks the executable and makes it laa. some copy protection systems dont like it when the .exe has been modified in any way, but ive used it on acid pro, energy xt, and kontakt 2 without any problems.

jj roberts

Some good stuff, thanks.