Bren Gun

Routing Softsynths And Midi

Hi. I'm checking the demo, and I need some help. This program is starting to piss me off.

I have a MIDI file which I want to test/playback using a softsynth that has 8 stereo outputs. I am to send the MIDI into the receiving softsynth which sends audio outputs into the receiving buss, right? This whole GUI and routing business of Samp is driving me nuts up unto the point I don't know even know what I'm doing anymore!

Hi. I'm checking the demo, and I need some help. This program is starting to piss me off.

I have a MIDI file which I want to test/playback using a softsynth that has 8 stereo outputs. I am to send the MIDI into the receiving softsynth which sends audio outputs into the receiving buss, right? This whole GUI and routing business of Samp is driving me nuts up unto the point I don't know even know what I'm doing anymore!

You can check out Kraznet's videos here:

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/tutorial_videos.html

Right-click over the little speaker icon in the mixer or side-panel (to the left of the tracks) - on your MIDI track, and make sure software monitoring is turned on.

You should also be able to 'freeze' the MIDI track to effectively turn it into an audio track.

Oh, and read the manual and help files :)

Greg

> his whole GUI and routing business of Samp is driving me nuts up unto the point I don't know even know what I'm doing anymore!

This is probably also related to the fact that in Samp you can have VSTi MIDI (send) and Audio (return) on the same track if you want, but you can also have separate tracks for MIDI and Audio. Some people like to work this way, some the other way, also depending on the VSTi, of course.

When you have understood these possibilities and the VSTi manager setup assistent options, you can work quite fast with VSTi, routing etc.

Greetings,

Frank

Thanks for the reply, Frank. Is there a significant downside to having both in one track? I can imagine having them separate allows greater manipulation, though it takes more tracks. And I can imagine having them in one allows less manipulation.

Thanks for the reply, Frank. Is there a significant downside to having both in one track? I can imagine having them separate allows greater manipulation, though it takes more tracks. And I can imagine having them in one allows less manipulation.

Yes , the downside of having audio and midi all in the same track is that when your monitoring more than 1 track/chanel through that main track , it always needs to be part of the monitoing chain.

So if you make other tracks that are linked to it, when your bouncing , it needs to be solo`d as well and if any midi file is in that track, it will be processed as well. So you need to be careful if your doing Multi-timberal things to use the 2nd option (the Multi-timberal one) .Which will seperate the audio and midi and allow for decrete soloing and monitoring etc....

Once you get used to it and understand it..its a very fast flexible system. The Samp Developers did it right . Good luck , Rich