I am a current Nuendo 3 user and have downloaded the Sam pro 10 demo but am trying to decide where to take my post production DAW to. I was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on the 2 of if anyone else struggled before buying as well. Also do any of the new control surfaces like the euphonix mc pro work with sam? Thanks.

I am a current Nuendo 3 user and have downloaded the Sam pro 10 demo but am trying to decide where to take my post production DAW to. I was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on the 2 of if anyone else struggled before buying as well. Also do any of the new control surfaces like the euphonix mc pro work with sam? Thanks.

Please provide some more specifics as to how you like to work, and what you're looking for.

I don't think the Euphonix is integrated yet (isn't it Mac only?).

Samplitude/Sequoia is awesome for post production work because of it's object oriented editing and audio engine.

Greg

Please provide some more specifics as to how you like to work, and what you're looking for.

Samplitude/Sequoia is awesome for post production work because of it's object oriented editing and audio engine.

Greg

Euphonix is used with the Eucon protocol its for pc or mac.

My setup is for post production only I actually do not even have a A/D converter in my studio. I do editing, mixing, mastering and audio for video. I currently run Wavelab 6 and Nuendo 3 but with the upgrades in 4 it seems like the perfect choice but I downloaded the demo od Sam and really love the GUI, the stability of the engine ( so far ) the flexible routing and it sounds great. The big issuse is with features other daw's have had for years that I still do not see in Samplitude such as a advanced undo list, a better media manager, better time stretching and pitch shifting and conforming audio to film ( I dont think samplitude supports video just sequoia right ) but the largest problem would be support. Besides this forum If you do not speak or read german I have found very little information on tutorials and training. I read the PDF manual and it does not get into details about some things I would like to know more about and the only videos are user provided here.

Thanks

-Ty

Greg

Euphonix is used with the Eucon protocol its for pc or mac.

My setup is for post production only I actually do not even have a A/D converter in my studio. I do editing, mixing, mastering and audio for video. I currently run Wavelab 6 and Nuendo 3 but with the upgrades in 4 it seems like the perfect choice but I downloaded the demo od Sam and really love the GUI, the stability of the engine ( so far ) the flexible routing and it sounds great. The big issuse is with features other daw's have had for years that I still do not see in Samplitude such as a advanced undo list, a better media manager, better time stretching and pitch shifting and conforming audio to film ( I dont think samplitude supports video just sequoia right ) but the largest problem would be support. Besides this forum If you do not speak or read german I have found very little information on tutorials and training. I read the PDF manual and it does not get into details about some things I would like to know more about and the only videos are user provided here.

Thanks

-Ty

• OK, other folks have checked out the Euphonix, but I'm still not sure if (or how well) it's been integrated yet in Samplitude (there's some bias per-say in the favored Logic, Cubendo integration so far IMO). I don't think Eucon protocol is built in yet. It's working great with my older Yamaha 01V96V2 ;)
  • Samplitude can handle video, but only Sequoia now also records video. You can render back out of Samplitude with your new audio. So far it's performed great with video that's running internal to the program, but I haven't tested (or needed) it with external monitors.
  • Instead of an advanced undo list (and it does have undo), there is the Take Manager, which functions in a similar fashion forward/back/around/up/down, or in parallel - allowing you to drag various takes (objects) into same or different tracks. It's more 'truly non-linear' (and non-volutile) in that sense.
  • Not sure what the expectations are on the media manager, but I use it all the time.
  • I find the time/pitch shift to be very good compared to even Melodyne, but it may also depend on which style of music you're doing, and what vocal transcients, etc. and expected result.
  • The support here in English or German is superb, since the devs and veterans are all over the forum, and in many cases speak better English than I do ;) .
  • The manual is still lagging, but help files, videos on Samplitude.com, or even on youtube show a lot was to do things IMO. You can also load the supplied templates and 'reverse engineer' them to dive in deeper. Also, Tom over at Orangehillaudio started mini-training sessions via Skype, which were going great until Summer break kicked in :rolleyes:.

Sampliquoia is pretty deep, flexible, and works great when pushed to do things you couldn't necessarily do in other DAWs due to the object-based approach, hybrid engine, etc. etc.

Have fun,

Greg

post-620-1216096673_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the quick reply I was wondering how to keep track of edits and undo's, I think since I am only working with the demo some features may not be there to use. My main problem with the time stretch right now is ( I may be wrong ) no way to set "warp markers" and anchor then then adjust the markers to extend sections or make longer tails that sound natural. ( I have not found a way yet I should say ) Also a great media manager is crucial for me as I do so much sound design and have almost 40gb of audio to dig through for projects. I have it originzed well on my harddrive but in nuendo there is meta tags for searching and even batch processing in the media manager window. I have not found a good way to search and find audio besides going through the folders. Again I really appreciate the comments as I see alot of potential in Samplitude and the included plug-ins are really nice. I really like the multiband stereo enhancer for working with audio loops and samples. The other thing I really enjoy is the clean GUI that it uses as i find Nuendo to be a little dark even when you change the templates.

Like I said they are both about the same price ( around a grand ) and I am just trying to get the best DAW for my application.

Thank you for the quick reply I was wondering how to keep track of edits and undo's, I think since I am only working with the demo some features may not be there to use. My main problem with the time stretch right now is ( I may be wrong ) no way to set "warp markers" and anchor then then adjust the markers to extend sections or make longer tails that sound natural. ( I have not found a way yet I should say ) Also a great media manager is crucial for me as I do so much sound design and have almost 40gb of audio to dig through for projects. I have it originzed well on my harddrive but in nuendo there is meta tags for searching and even batch processing in the media manager window. I have not found a good way to search and find audio besides going through the folders. Again I really appreciate the comments as I see alot of potential in Samplitude and the included plug-ins are really nice. I really like the multiband stereo enhancer for working with audio loops and samples. The other thing I really enjoy is the clean GUI that it uses as i find Nuendo to be a little dark even when you change the templates.

Like I said they are both about the same price ( around a grand ) and I am just trying to get the best DAW for my application.

OK, good luck, and keep up the inquiry, and keep pushing the program to see what it can do. :)

Greg

The big issuse is with features other daw's have had for years that I still do not see in Samplitude such as a advanced undo list,

I had a demo once of that feature from "the man himself" Lars Baumann at Steinberg. From that I had the impression this feature is rather to make up for the lack of Object based editing than anything else, undoing clip based rendering. Am I mistaken?

Regards,

Sebastian

The big issuse is with features other daw's have had for years that I still do not see in Samplitude such as a advanced undo list,

I had a demo once of that feature from "the man himself" Lars Baumann at Steinberg. From that I had the impression this feature is rather to make up for the lack of Object based editing than anything else, undoing clip based rendering. Am I mistaken?

Regards,

Sebastian

Exactly. Folks coming from other DAWs that are used to (habitually or not) doing things a certain way, which is fine, but when jumping into Samplitude they may not necessarily be acquainted with the object-based paradigm.

So, yes Samp. has undo, but the Take Manager serves a much better service for intelligent navigation through takes.

Greg

Sure, Take Manager (or just the Context Menu) is a good help when switching audio referenced by an Object. But for this clip based undo Nuendo has Sequoiatude doesn't need an equivalent, as all processing on Objects is non-destructive, with processing parameters accessible at virtually any time. If you need another setting, you can create it at the snip of a finger at any instance without any chronological constraints.

I just wonder if that's what was referred to.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Sure, Take Manager (or just the Context Menu) is a good help when switching audio referenced by an Object. But for this clip based undo Nuendo has Sequoiatude doesn't need an equivalent, as all processing on Objects is non-destructive, with processing parameters accessible at virtually any time. If you need another setting, you can create it at the snip of a finger at any instance without any chronological constraints.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Exactally if your first process was normalize then you do 50 more processes you can open the list and take out normalize or even replace it per clip in the arrangment.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Exactally if your first process was normalize then you do 50 more processes you can open the list and take out normalize or even replace it per clip in the arrangment.

Or EQ, automation, compression, etc. on individual or grouped objects within or across tracks. The possibilities are endless. Non-linear, and non-volatile.

Gotta love it.

Greg

Cheers,

Sebastian

Ah, so I was right. Then, you won't miss that for Samplitude.

/S

my experience with nuendo 4:

(and this is the absolute truth)

- install V4.1.2 from CD - OK all is done

- start licence control center for updating the dongle to V4

-> crash

- start nuendo

-> crash in audioprimitives.opt

- restart computer, same behavior, no chance, I give up...

:)

Regards,

Joerg

Im stuck using everything from Final Cut to Premiere to nuendo to samplitude because of all of them not doing everything..which sucks, but is probably for the best.

My go to is Sequoia / Samplitude for my own personall work or when I get called into something and they ask me my daw of choice.