bottomsup

Thinking Of Coming From Cubase 4

Hi

I currently run CUbase 4.5.2, actually most of my studio is geared towards and yamaha and cubase setup. so that being said i was wondering a few things

1) anyone here come from cubase? why? whats better? worse? etc?

2) i have a yamaha n12 that is my sound card, it replaced my rme ff 800, and sounds better, is more stable, and is fantastic for mixing stems back out of etc (plus the cubase templates) that being said does anyone here use one as a front end? i knwo i would lose the transport controls on it but i think everything else should work?? just checking, i will also try it with the demo

3) i have mixed logic M24

www.mixedlogic.com

as my controller, works great in cubase, sonar, reaper, even PT, have no idea about samp though, anyone ever us it or try it? it does HUI but i have never heard anyone useing it with Samp

4) i work on a PC

quad core q 6600 oc to 3.0 ghz

4 gigs ram

xp home tweaked for audio, no internet , no anti virus etc

4 500 gig seagate drives

etc

how does smap work on a setup like this? does it use all 4 cores efficiently?

5) how is samp with things like RMX or BFD2 and breaking out all the tracks to seperate tracks in samp?

anything else i can expect from a big change like this?

oh

6) is there a crossgrade to the leatest version of samp v10 pro?? if so where is best to buy it from? i don't see ti on sweetwaer where i normally buy alot of my software stuff

thanks

tim

Try Tom at www.orangehillaudio.com.

Everyone I play songs for always say the same thing, that it sounds really clean. I'm talking people who wouldn't usually comment on the cleanliness of music.

I think that chip 6600 was one of Samplitude's reference computers.

So yes do it.

:ph34r:

Hi

I currently run CUbase 4.5.2, actually most of my studio is geared towards and yamaha and cubase setup.

tim

What is the reason that you wanna change your setup?

Lacroix

Well to make a long story short, i started on cubase sx2 on a mac and it was a disaster when OSX rolled out, so i switch to SAW on a PC, and while a great program it did not support the way i wanted to work, which is with hardware controllers/daw controllers etc, so i went to sonar and liked it but never got it working great on my system, motorboating issues, glitches int he screens etc etc (but its a good program)

of course i have tried reaper, support justin just to support someone like that, but again its isn't laid out the way i like it

i really like a console style program, i like samp and how it looks, performs and is laid out.

cubase i came back to since i co write with someone here and there and he uses it. for me, its a nice program but aloms to sci fo laid out for me, there are things i don't like about the way it looks and the way its laid out.

so we come to samp, which i have checked out over time since ver 9, and now i reall like how its working, how it looks, sounds, etc

however like i said i have purchased yanaha/cubase interactive parts, and the M24 did not have a template written for it for samp so that worries me a little, i would need basic but full functionality off it

24 faders, pan, mute, solo, select, jog wheel, transport controls, bank jumping etc

the yamaha n12 has worked fine in reaper and sonar so i think the asio drivers will be find in samp. i will try and test all of this when i get my studio set back up this week

so it may sound dumb, but i just really like how samp is laid out. i tried the demo on this machine and without reading anything i was recording and rolling in a bout 30 minutes, it made sense to me, if that makes sense :ph34r:

its almost like matching up my hardware to software/hardware, it looks like it should??

also i am pretty simple 99% audio, i have some soft synths i use

atmosphere, dimesion, rapture, BFD2, ez, addictive drums etc

i take it samp can scan other VST directories correct?

thanks guys

Hi-

Yes, M24 works with Samp as 3 HUI devices...I just spoke with Kevin from Mixed Logic and he confirmed that for me. As of 10.1 we have added a lof of new remote control features that will surely enhance its support as well...

wow, eeire, i JUST got an email from Kevin also confirming this :ph34r:

now thats exciting stuff. i have my studio torn apart but should be back up by the end of this week and will be trying all my gear into samp, the M24 and N12 especially

if i can get that all rolling i maybe crossgrading very soon after that.

thanks for getting that info back to me also, kev said you guys or samp in 10.1 and .2 implemented alot of cool control surface changes that i did not see when i tried out 9

thanks!

and while a great program it did not support the way i wanted to work, which is with hardware controllers/daw controllers etc,

the hardware compatibility and level of user customization has switched me from cubase sx 3. i made my controller work exactly as i wanted although it took some time to set up. its worth it for that alone. it didnt have a template so i had to build one but its really not complicated. plus switching between devices if you have more than one soundcard couldnt be more expedient. that was always such a pain in cubase.

I have Cubase SX3 and I still use it for scores and detailed midi editing.

It might be that I just don't know how to use Samp for that yet.

But once any midi is done, I do everything else in Samp 10 Pro.

I got the Birdline Basic skin set and I love it. A good skin set

completely changes the feel of using the program.

I'm not knocking Cubase, but Samp sounds better to my ears than

Cubase does playing the same files. Maybe that's just a matter of

perception, but that perception causes my creativity to flourish.