DBMusic

Second Thoughts?

As for your comments on my "own record with license management", I see no reason to condescend. Though I do not market the licensing methodology, per se, I am very successful in what I do. In 13+ years we've had no licensing hacks, complaints, or issues that could not be quickly resolved by support staff.

Actually, your entire response feels a bit condescending. If I've touched a nerve, please know that wasn't my intention. I fully respect Magix's or any other company's right to market and license their products anyway they see fit and ignore any dissenting ideologies. I am not so grandiose in my self-perception that I believe I am anything more than a single voice with a single opinion. Perceived issues that prompted "second thoughts" arose prior to my knowledge of precise licensing methodology (I believed there was an option of dongle versus activation code).

Look,

as I said, it's fair enough to have an attitude towards the licensing schema of a software to obtain, and to follow by own rules.

Where I start to frown is when you point at your own professional record here, while still failing to create any real connexion to the matter under discussion. At the same time taking the attitude of a "consumer". What now?

Either, make the very general point, or a specific one.

Any closed-source software poses a potential risk to the licensee. The technology of the license management is at best of secondary why at some day you won't be able to use your license any more. For sure, at some day you won't be able. The question is only when. I know many people that will recur on open source software only for that reason.

Best regards,

Sebastian

As for your comments on my "own record with license management", I see no reason to condescend. Though I do not market the licensing methodology, per se, I am very successful in what I do. In 13+ years we've had no licensing hacks, complaints, or issues that could not be quickly resolved by support staff.

Actually, your entire response feels a bit condescending. If I've touched a nerve, please know that wasn't my intention. I fully respect Magix's or any other company's right to market and license their products anyway they see fit and ignore any dissenting ideologies. I am not so grandiose in my self-perception that I believe I am anything more than a single voice with a single opinion. Perceived issues that prompted "second thoughts" arose prior to my knowledge of precise licensing methodology (I believed there was an option of dongle versus activation code).

Look,

as I said, it's fair enough to have an attitude towards the licensing schema of a software to obtain, and to follow by own rules.

Where I start to frown is when you point at your own professional record here, while still failing to create any real connexion to the matter under discussion. At the same time taking the attitude of a "consumer". What now?

Either, make the very general point, or a specific one.

Any closed-source software poses a potential risk to the licensee. The technology of the license management is at best of secondary why at some day you won't be able to use your license any more. For sure, at some day you won't be able. The question is only when. I know many people that will recur on open source software only for that reason.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Sebastian,

I do consider myself a consumer and am entitled to whatever attitude and point I please. Furthermore, my professional record and personal experience with software licensing is entirely connected to my opinion on hardware protection schemes.

This is likely one of those spiraling conversations that lead to nowhere pleasant. I do thank you for responding and wish you the best.

Regards,

DB

I've looked at the comparison charts for Samplitude 10 and the Pro version. Apart from the track, bus, and sub-mix counts, the availability of the Analog Modeling Suite, De-esser, and the Cleaning & Restoration Suite (optional on Pro) there doesn't seem to appreciative differences, at least for my workflow. Are any other version differences beyond those listed on the website that perhaps aren't so apparent that one should keep in mind?

Also, does anyone have a feel for what the likelihood is that the optional Hardware Copy Protection would at some point in the future be removed from the classic (non-Pro) version? Has it been an ongoing option for some time now?

Regards,

DB

The dongle started around V8.

I don't know of any plans to get away from dongle - although the discussion pops up every once in a while.

As I said earlier, there was a recent thread regarding putting the dongle contents on the host drive and application folder somewhere/somehow, but I unfortunately haven't had time to find it.

In the meantime, I don't think the DLV uses the dongle, so that would be an option for you.

Greg

Are any other version differences beyond those listed on the website that perhaps aren't so apparent that one should keep in mind?

The sidechain busses are counted as aux busses. Which they are. So, say, you use two sidechain busses, you got four aux busses left to deploy. No biggie as there are other sidechain methods which don't use Samplitude's aux buss style.

In the meantime, I don't think the DLV uses the dongle, so that would be an option for you.

I use Samp 10 DLV without a dongle with no pb. But I can't install it on several PC's because of the need of an activation code for each one (3 max I think).

It's Samp 10 with only these limitations (from the site)

Limitations of the download version in comparison with Samplitude 10 box version:

Independence LE not included

Impulse responses for Offline Convolution Reverb not included

Content for Auto Jam Session not included

Demo content not included

Printed manual not included

DVD not included

Not a problem for me

Concerning the 10 pro/10 differences, I see no other differences than those in the comparison chart.

JMM

I use Samp 10 DLV without a dongle with no pb. But I can't install it on several PC's because of the need of an activation code for each one (3 max I think).

It's Samp 10 with only these limitations (from the site)

Limitations of the download version in comparison with Samplitude 10 box version:

Independence LE not included

Impulse responses for Offline Convolution Reverb not included

Content for Auto Jam Session not included

Demo content not included

Printed manual not included

DVD not included

Not a problem for me

Concerning the 10 pro/10 differences, I see no other differences than those in the comparison chart.

JMM

I have the DLV installed and was installed and Codemeter was running as a Windows service and the Codemeter Control Center was running at startup. I've disabled the service and removed the control center executable from startup and Samplitude loads ok. However, this would seem to indicate that if I purchase the software after the 30 demo period that Codemeter is required.

Regards,

DB

I think I'll go ahead and install the downloaded version of Samplitude and give it a spin for a few weeks. Can't hurt...right? :blink:

Yes, that's right. In fact Samplitude is the only Windows program I know which doesn't write anything to the registry. So just delete the Samplitude program folder and your system is like before. There is really no risk in giving Samplitude a good check.

This is not true. Samplitude DOES write to the Registry. More annoying is the fact that even though I have no intention of using a dongle, Codemeter gets plastered all over the Registry, installs as a Windows service, and the control center runs at startup. So just deleting the Samplitude folder will leave quite a mess behind.

Regards,

DB

It seems I have mistakenly been under the impression that Samplitude had the option for dongle or challenge/response activation. As of version 10.1 in appears as if dongle activation is required. Am I correct?

Samplitude 10 DLV (download version ) uses challenge response . Samplitude 10 Pro uses a codemeter dongle .

Regards

Kraznet

If this is so, is there any way to remove all this Codemeter runtime that has infested itself all over my computer and Registry? It was installed without option when installing Samplitude 10 DLV.

Regards,

DB

It seems I have mistakenly been under the impression that Samplitude had the option for dongle or challenge/response activation. As of version 10.1 in appears as if dongle activation is required. Am I correct?

Samplitude 10 DLV (download version ) uses challenge response . Samplitude 10 Pro uses a codemeter dongle .

Regards

Kraznet

If this is so, is there any way to remove all this Codemeter runtime that has infested itself all over my computer and Registry? It was installed without option when installing Samplitude 10 DLV.

Regards,

DB

Yes, it can just be uninstalled from add/remove programs.

Regards

Kraznet

Regards,

DB

Using the uninstall (or add/remove programs) rather than just deleting the folder SHOULD obviously remove Samplitude entirely. Then try uninstalling codemeter itself, if it's still loaded separately. If this isn't possible, there are free uninstallers that work OK for deleting deeper things like registry keys.

If that doesn't work, then use msconfig in command line to delete the bootup call for the codemeter.

At least Magix Samplitude install doesn't load files all over the place like many other apps (ahem - Sonar, Acid) do.

Before installing anything, you should probably set a restore point anyways.

It's always something... :blink:

Greg

Regards

Kraznet

Regards,

DB

Yes, it can just be uninstalled from add/remove programs.

As I suspected, uninstalling Codemeter did NOT remove the library reference pointers and all the other now useless entries plastered throughout the Registry. Very annoying and totally unnecessary when installing a demo.

Regards,

DB

for the OP, no offense but it seems like you've already made up your mind and looking for reasons to validate your decision, not all hosts are for every user and that's fine. I own Sonar 5, AA2.0, FL8 and I use to sell them all in the early days of DAWS. (turn of the century) I am not going into the dongle debate because it is a no win argument and I have debated it until I'm blue in the face. The best I can suggest to you is go with your gut, if your instincts are telling you not to go with Samp then don't. But...don't write it off either.

I demoed 8 before buying a new computer because I could have the company building my machine install samp. I didn't care for it, it seemed to confuse me and I wasn't sure what benefits I would get. At KvR some debates came up about Samp and by then it was version 9 (about 5 months after my demo of 8). and I found myself back on the Samp page because I wanted to know what the beef was. I discovered some new features I liked and I saw that acrossgrade was available. I wrote someone about it (or did I call? ) and they told me if I could wait a few days I'd get a better deal. I waited, got a great deal and haven't looked back. I took to samp right away, the only things that confused me turned out to be because the implementation was so much easier. For instance in AA you have the multi-track view and wav view, I hunted for how I just got a wav view in samp without having this long wav with all my takes.

The answer was you don't need the two views in samp. Everything else at the beginning were set up logically like I would like them. Example, I like voxformer and the way it handles things in the filter window. I like that you can change the bandwidth with the center wheel on the mouse, samps eqs are the same way. Of course there are many more examples but I'm tired lol.

However one thing that irked me with the demo was when I removed it, it also deleted some Sonar files and I had to reinstall Sonar. The bottom line is you do not have like Samplitude, it's okay...I don't like Cubase but a lot of my friends do.

btw remember, do not shop for features...look for benefits.

As I suspected, uninstalling Codemeter did NOT remove the library reference pointers and all the other now useless entries plastered throughout the Registry. Very annoying and totally unnecessary when installing a demo.

Learn how to learn how to manage your registry and stop whining.

I have the DLV installed and was installed and Codemeter was running as a Windows service and the Codemeter Control Center was running at startup. I've disabled the service and removed the control center executable from startup and Samplitude loads ok. However, this would seem to indicate that if I purchase the software after the 30 demo period that Codemeter is required.

I purchased the DLV and run it with the codemeter service and executable disabled. NO problem.

I think you can't install a lot of software if you don't want any trace in the registry :blink:

JMM

for the OP, no offense but it seems like you've already made up your mind and looking for reasons to validate your decision, not all hosts are for every user and that's fine. I own Sonar 5, AA2.0, FL8 and I use to sell them all in the early days of DAWS. (turn of the century) I am not going into the dongle debate because it is a no win argument and I have debated it until I'm blue in the face. The best I can suggest to you is go with your gut, if your instincts are telling you not to go with Samp then don't. But...don't write it off either.

I demoed 8 before buying a new computer because I could have the company building my machine install samp. I didn't care for it, it seemed to confuse me and I wasn't sure what benefits I would get. At KvR some debates came up about Samp and by then it was version 9 (about 5 months after my demo of 8). and I found myself back on the Samp page because I wanted to know what the beef was. I discovered some new features I liked and I saw that acrossgrade was available. I wrote someone about it (or did I call? ) and they told me if I could wait a few days I'd get a better deal. I waited, got a great deal and haven't looked back. I took to samp right away, the only things that confused me turned out to be because the implementation was so much easier. For instance in AA you have the multi-track view and wav view, I hunted for how I just got a wav view in samp without having this long wav with all my takes.

The answer was you don't need the two views in samp. Everything else at the beginning were set up logically like I would like them. Example, I like voxformer and the way it handles things in the filter window. I like that you can change the bandwidth with the center wheel on the mouse, samps eqs are the same way. Of course there are many more examples but I'm tired lol.

However one thing that irked me with the demo was when I removed it, it also deleted some Sonar files and I had to reinstall Sonar. The bottom line is you do not have like Samplitude, it's okay...I don't like Cubase but a lot of my friends do.

btw remember, do not shop for features...look for benefits.

Hi Hink,

No, quite to the contrary, I haven't made up my mind at all. I've actually been giving Samplitude some serious work. I like what I'm seeing very much, particularly the brilliant integration of external effects (Sonar's dismal implementation was the final reason that brought me here). Coming over from Sonar there is obviously a learning curve and I occasionally find myself scratching my head over a few things that turn out to be very simple once I figure them out...that's to be expected.

I do admit to having a pet peeve regarding ANY software that leaves crap laying around my computer after it is uninstalled. That's like inviting someone over for a visit and they show up with muddy shoes to walk all over your clean carpet. Yeah, you clean up after them but I don't much care for it.

All in all, I'm very impressed with Samplitude.

Learn how to learn how to manage your registry and stop whining.

There's always a few of these guys in every forum. :blink:

I guess that one goes rather to the person responsible for writing the installer routine

I agree.

One odd thing I've encountered in Samplitude is that it will occasionally just freeze at the beginning of playback of any audio or midi track. If I set the cursor somewhere beyond the start of the wave or first midi note, it plays back fine. But start it at any place prior to that and playback will just freeze. With audio files it will freeze with a continuous high pitched sound. Midi files will freeze after the first note. I can stop this by just stopping the playback. But it happens each time I attempt playback again. The only way I can get out of this is to shut Samplitude down and restart. This has happened twice after copying an audio file after dragging and dropping the wave object from one track to another. Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens?

Thanks for the responses.

Regards,

DB

DB,

it's strange that your Samp freezes frequently. Have you already patched your software to 10.2, or which version are you running?

Regards,

Ulrich

and the other obvious question - what is your hardware configuration and buffer settings?

Still working with 'default' settings?

Greg

One odd thing I've encountered in Samplitude is that it will occasionally just freeze at the beginning of playback of any audio or midi track. If I set the cursor somewhere beyond the start of the wave or first midi note, it plays back fine. But start it at any place prior to that and playback will just freeze. With audio files it will freeze with a continuous high pitched sound. Midi files will freeze after the first note. I can stop this by just stopping the playback. But it happens each time I attempt playback again. The only way I can get out of this is to shut Samplitude down and restart. This has happened twice after copying an audio file after dragging and dropping the wave object from one track to another. Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens?

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but have you checked that this is not caused by your accidentally selecting a very small range and having loop mode activated?

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but have you checked that this is not caused by your accidentally selecting a very small range and having loop mode activated?

yes, I thought of this too. Forgot to mention it.

Having a short range set with loop turned off would cause this type of behavior.

Greg

DB,

it's strange that your Samp freezes frequently. Have you already patched your software to 10.2, or which version are you running?

Regards,

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,

The DLV is at 10.1 and I don't believe this can be updated while in demo mode.

and the other obvious question - what is your hardware configuration and buffer settings?

Still working with 'default' settings?

Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes I left the 512 default ASIO and 2048 VIP object buffers intact. For hardware I'm running an RME AES-32. I've got several years experience with Sonar going through several interfaces so I feel pretty confident about configurations.

Yes, I'm sure this wasn't it as it was happening on solo playback on each of 4 tracks (2 audio and 2 midi). Now I wouldn't say this happens frequently...only twice. But here's an odd thing. All tracks were recorded from the track zero point. If I moved 1 track audio object to the right (away from the zero point), the track would play correctly. So I tried doing this on all the tracks. I then returned all the objects on each track back to the zero point. After I did there was no more freezing. All tracks played without issue. Strange.

Anyway, I've put in several hours the last couple of days putting Samplitude through it's paces. I was able with relatively minimal frustration to duplicate the basics of my work flow (midi recording/editing/bouncing, audio recording/editing, VSTi track setup/recording/bouncing, plugins, integrating external effects, busing, midi drum maps).

One thing I can't seem to get is VST parameter automation neither at the track or object level. The only automation I can see to draw is the volume. I can get into the VST Parameter Dialog and select the parameters for automation, select show track or object automation from the Automation menu, but I don't see anything in the track or object for adjustment of the VST's parameters. Probably something simple. I'll try again tomorrow.

All things consider I got a lot accomplished and am feeling pretty good about what I'm seeing.

Thanks for the responses.

Regards,

DB

First, try setting your buffers at the same number.

RME = good choice - generally very 'Samplitude friendly' (I still use an older Multiface I without issue for over 5 years now).

re: automation - try right-clicking on the automation button to setup the curves visibility, color, controller assignment (or learn), etc. Also, opening up the MIDI editor gives you access to automation as well.

By the way, IMO - the automation setup and config. is still a little non-intuitive, with plenty of room for improvement.

Greg

First, try setting your buffers at the same number.

RME = good choice - generally very 'Samplitude friendly' (I still use an older Multiface I without issue for over 5 years now).

re: automation - try right-clicking on the automation button to setup the curves visibility, color, controller assignment (or learn), etc. Also, opening up the MIDI editor gives you access to automation as well.

By the way, IMO - the automation setup and config. is still a little non-intuitive, with plenty of room for improvement.

Greg

Got the automation thing figured out. I wasn't setting the plugin as my automation choice under the Automation button. Thanks. Had forgotten about that setting.

Regards,

DB