DBMusic

Second Thoughts?

Thanks, that does appear to work around the issue.

Regarding the Wave Editor, is it possible to open it for a single audio object? Opening the Wave Editor appears to open several takes. Or is there a way to simply bounce the audio object in place to apply the fades? The reason I ask is because in converting audio objects to loops and dragging, the fade out is not applied to each loop section but is instead moved to the very end. Without being able to apply a small fade at the end of the object when looped it will sometimes create a little click or pop at the beginning of each loop (typically happens when the original audio extended beyond the object end). I've been able a apply the Wave Editor to apply this fadeout successfully, but I keep getting multiple takes when opened. Interestingly, instead of looping an object if you simply copy the object and place it in sequence there is no clicking when playback crosses from one object to the next. Happens only when looping. This happens in Sonar too but is easily resolved by place a small fade at the end of a clip and you can then quickly just bounce the audio clip in place before creating your groove clip.

Regards,

DB

This is one of the paradigms of Samplitude - when you open the wav editor, it will show you all your takes, but it SHOULD have a range highlighted for the span of the particular VIP object you're working on.

Before copying your objects, you can put a manual fade on the object edges by sliding the corner 'nurb'/hook over to the left/right. No need to do all the work of rendering to wav first.

I'm not sure why your getting clicking when crossing the edges of the looped objects - other than there may not be any fade - but I've never noticed clicks at borders.

You can also try simply sliding objects against each other to create an instant crossfade (if you're in object mode).

So, there's object fades (at the edges), and automation fades (another topic), and volatile wave edits (not necessary in Samplitude), but when working with objects, you just need to set things up once before copying/looping or whatever.

Greg

Thanks, that does appear to work around the issue.

Regarding the Wave Editor, is it possible to open it for a single audio object? Opening the Wave Editor appears to open several takes. Or is there a way to simply bounce the audio object in place to apply the fades? The reason I ask is because in converting audio objects to loops and dragging, the fade out is not applied to each loop section but is instead moved to the very end. Without being able to apply a small fade at the end of the object when looped it will sometimes create a little click or pop at the beginning of each loop (typically happens when the original audio extended beyond the object end). I've been able a apply the Wave Editor to apply this fadeout successfully, but I keep getting multiple takes when opened. Interestingly, instead of looping an object if you simply copy the object and place it in sequence there is no clicking when playback crosses from one object to the next. Happens only when looping. This happens in Sonar too but is easily resolved by place a small fade at the end of a clip and you can then quickly just bounce the audio clip in place before creating your groove clip.

Regards,

DB

This is one of the paradigms of Samplitude - when you open the wav editor, it will show you all your takes, but it SHOULD have a range highlighted for the span of the particular VIP object you're working on.

Before copying your objects, you can put a manual fade on the object edges by sliding the corner 'nurb'/hook over to the left/right. No need to do all the work of rendering to wav first.

I'm not sure why your getting clicking when crossing the edges of the looped objects - other than there may not be any fade - but I've never noticed clicks at borders.

You can also try simply sliding objects against each other to create an instant crossfade (if you're in object mode).

So, there's object fades (at the edges), and automation fades (another topic), and volatile wave edits (not necessary in Samplitude), but when working with objects, you just need to set things up once before copying/looping or whatever.

Greg

I'm finding Samplitude's implementation of "takes" a bit confusing. For example, every time I open the wave editor it creates another take that is saved in the same .wav file. Even if I don't want to keep the take it saves it anyway. Now I have all these takes being saved that I don't want that keep increasing the size of the .wav file. In the Take Manager I can't delete these takes because there are multiple takes in the same file. This seems very strange to me. Now in this .wav file there are some good takes that are represented by other objects. Why would I have to keep all these useless takes that do nothing but take up disk space?

Also, I noticed under the Tools menu there is an option to remove unused samples. But this doesn't really seem to remove all samples I'm not using anymore...or maybe keeps references that are not needed. Regardless, I seem to end up with a lot of .wave files and takes that I don't need.

Regarding the loops, if you notice when dragging a loop, the fade at the end moves to the end point of the drag. Each loop that gets repeated in the drag does NOT contain the original fade. These clicks when looping typically happen when your original audio was slightly extended beyond the object range and has been cut off. Because Samplitude does not apply the fade with each reproduction of the loop when dragging, the original object needs to have the fade rendered first so when dragging the effect of the fade can be repeated. In Sonar this is very easy. Is there not an easy way to simply render and existing object in place to apply the fades?

For the most part I'm finding audio loops actually easier to work with in Samplitude. I know it's mostly my lack of knowledge of Samplitude, but it does seem odd that I cannot simply bounce a single audio file in place (so that the original object is now replaced by the new rendering) to apply fades (or any other effects or editing for that matter).

Regards,

DB

I'm finding Samplitude's implementation of "takes" a bit confusing.

@For example, every time I open the wave editor it creates another take that is saved in the same .wav file. Even if I don't want to keep the take it saves it anyway.

Actually, in the default config, you can delete a a take immediately after recording. It shouldn't be in the wave file then. Reset the messages in program settings to get that back (as you may have chosen to hide that message globally before.)

@In the Take Manager I can't delete these takes because there are multiple takes in the same file. This seems very strange to me.

That seems odd to me, too. I don't understand what you want to do.

@ Also, I noticed under the Tools menu there is an option to remove unused samples. But this doesn't really seem to remove all samples I'm not using anymore...or maybe keeps references that are not needed.

Could it be that these takes are still referenced from the Undo history? Delete the undo history and then try again.

@ I know it's mostly my lack of knowledge of Samplitude, but it does seem odd that I cannot simply bounce a single audio file in place (so that the original object is now replaced by the new rendering) to apply fades (or any other effects or editing for that matter).

Depending on what specifically you want to do, you will find two options to do that.

1. Freeze.

2. Track bouncing (tools), replacing the chosen Objects.

Regards,

Sebastian

@For example, every time I open the wave editor it creates another take that is saved in the same .wav file. Even if I don't want to keep the take it saves it anyway.

Actually, in the default config, you can delete a a take immediately after recording. It shouldn't be in the wave file then. Reset the messages in program settings to get that back (as you may have chosen to hide that message globally before.)

I've not changed anything in the default config. In the System Options - Record - Extended options the "Show confirmation dialog (OK,Delete) after record" option is checked. I do get the message when recording, however, just opening and closing the Wave Editor creates another take that gets added to an existing file. Via the Take Manager I cannot delete this unwanted take because it says there are multiple takes in the file.

@In the Take Manager I can't delete these takes because there are multiple takes in the same file. This seems very strange to me.

That seems odd to me, too. I don't understand what you want to do.

As mentioned above, selecting an object, opening the Wave Editor, and then immediately closing the Wave Editor creates another take that gets added to an existing .wav file. Now when opening the Take Manager and attempting to delete the take I get a message saying "The file xxx.wav has more than one take and can't be deleted." Apparently deleting a take means deleting a file, but when there are multiple takes contained within a single file you cannot delete a single take within than file. I did check "Each Record take in a new file" but made no difference in takes being added to the same file via the Wave Editor.

@ Also, I noticed under the Tools menu there is an option to remove unused samples. But this doesn't really seem to remove all samples I'm not using anymore...or maybe keeps references that are not needed.

Could it be that these takes are still referenced from the Undo history? Delete the undo history and then try again.

Deleting the undo history has no affect. I can create a recoding, delete it from the project, delete the undo history, run Remove unused samples, and the file is not deleted. I get a message stating "Remove usnused Sampels finished. Please save your project first! All previous copies of these project are invalid." Don't have a clue what this means since I do save the project first. Regardless, no unused samples are removed.

@ I know it's mostly my lack of knowledge of Samplitude, but it does seem odd that I cannot simply bounce a single audio file in place (so that the original object is now replaced by the new rendering) to apply fades (or any other effects or editing for that matter).

Depending on what specifically you want to do, you will find two options to do that.

1. Freeze.

2. Track bouncing (tools), replacing the chosen Objects.

Neither on of these processes appear to render the affect of the fades. The new bounced object still has the original fades and when drug out return the file to it's unfaded form. I need to fades to be rendered in the bounce.

I guess I'm not understanding why when a fade applied to a looped object that the fade is not applied to EACH instance of the loop that gets created when dragging. Instead it just moves the fade to the very end of the object.

Ok, I've found that bouncing an object using the "New separate Object in current VIP" under Generating options DOES render the effects of the fades. However, the "Replace Objects in current VIP" does not. This allows me to do what I want but seems a bit cumbersome to have to create a new object and track just to do so.

Thanks Sebastian and Greg for your time to help me evaluate Samplitude. I understand new users can be rather frustrating to deal with and I do appreciate your efforts.

Regards,

DB

@I guess I'm not understanding why when a fade applied to a looped object that the fade is not applied to EACH instance of the loop that gets created when dragging. Instead it just moves the fade to the very end of the object.

Have you tried "duplicate objects"?

MGB

Hi DB,

haven`t read all... but have you considered to use the "every take in a new file" option? You can find it under systemoptions (y) ->record.

This way you don`t have to mess around with redundant recordings.

<For example, every time I open the wave editor it creates another take that is saved in the same .wav file. Even if I don't want to keep the take it saves it anyway.>

Can you please expalin this - this also makes no sense to me. Are you sure opening the wave creates another take?? Sampliutde can create FX- Files(there are optons too...) but only if you use an offline FX. Haven`t had this by opening the wav until now...I`m sure you mix here something ;)

Best,

Rolf

Hi DB,

haven`t read all... but have you considered to use the "every take in a new file" option? You can find it under systemoptions (y) ->record.

This way you don`t have to mess around with redundant recordings.

<For example, every time I open the wave editor it creates another take that is saved in the same .wav file. Even if I don't want to keep the take it saves it anyway.>

Can you please expalin this - this also makes no sense to me. Are you sure opening the wave creates another take?? Sampliutde can create FX- Files(there are optons too...) but only if you use an offline FX. Haven`t had this by opening the wav until now...I`m sure you mix here something ;)

Best,

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Yes, I have tried "Each Record Take in a new file", but it does not affect the issue with the Wave Editor. Let me be more specific:

There is an audio object in my project that is named Take55 and is based on the"Test Project 110_24_T0555.wav". If I select the Take55 object, right-click and select "Edit copy of wave project", and just close the editor, a new take is created named "Effect 01/20/09 14:51:49"in a new file named "Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav" with a size of 6,350,480 bytes. If I repeat this and open the wave editor on object Take55 again I will see the previous "Effect 01/20/09 14:51:49" and the new take ""Effect 01/20/09 14:54:13" in the editor. I close the editor. Now the "Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav" file has grown to 12,700,880 bytes. If I repeat this once again a new take is created in the Wave Editor named "Effect 01/20/09 14:57:41", in addition to the 2 previous ones. I close the Wave Editor. Now the "Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav" file has grown to 19,051,280 bytes. If I open the Take Manager I will see the following takes:

FX Original

Effect 01/20/09 14:57:41

Both of these point to the "Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav" file created by the Wave Editor to hold these takes. If I attempt to delete either of these takes I get the message "The file E:\Samplitude\Audio\Test Project 1\Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav has more than one take and can't be delete." Now there is no way I can get rid of these unwanted takes. Even if I delete my undo history and run Remove Unused Samples, it will not remove the "Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav" file.

I did just notice, however, it DID remove one of the takes in the file, but the file itself stays intact. For example, if I repeat the above and create a new take "Take X" in the "Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav" file, open the Take Manager, select "Take X", right-click and select Delete take, I get the message "The file E:\Samplitude\Audio\Test Project 1\Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav has more than one take and can't be delete." If I then use Remove Unused Samples and run it, I'll notice the size of "Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav" has been reduced. When I re-open the Take Manager I will see "Take X" still listed but when I click on it I get the message "Warning! New Take is shorter than the object".

Regardless, I have unneeded takes and files I cannot get rid of apart from closing Samplitude and deleting them manually.

I know I'm a novice at all this, but compared to Sonar this is quite confusing. All audio in Sonar is represented by a separate .wav file that has an internal marker as to whether or not it is actively referenced in the project. A "Clean Audio Folder" function then simply locates these unreferenced files and provides the option to delete them. This makes for very efficient project file management. Hopefully, Samplitude's methodology will get easier to use and I'm sure I can figure out workarounds, but for now it doesn't really appear very efficient.

Regards,

DB

@I guess I'm not understanding why when a fade applied to a looped object that the fade is not applied to EACH instance of the loop that gets created when dragging. Instead it just moves the fade to the very end of the object.

MGB

Hi MGB,

If by duplicate objects you mean essentially just copying the object and dragging in to the new position, yes. but this defeats the convenience, speed, and efficiency of using loop based objects.

Regards,

DB

MGB

Hi MGB,

If by duplicate objects you mean essentially just copying the object and dragging in to the new position, yes. but this defeats the convenience, speed, and efficiency of using loop based objects.

Regards,

DB

Hi DB.

This may help you a little.

Try right clicking on the object and choosing "Build Loop Object"?

If you've got your tempo change markers in place and have objects snapping to the grid, you should be set.

Auto crossfade needs to be enabled as well.

Makes things work like ACID or ACID files.

Just grab the edge of the object and pull.

Also check out Kraznet's 22min. tutorial for "Working with Objects"

BadAss Samplitude Tutorials

post-5286-1232502719_thumb.jpg

post-5286-1232502733_thumb.jpg

Oya...

The Build Loop Object function also works for MIDI files too!

Also.. from reading through your posts, it sounds as if you are having issues with Samplitude saving your "Destructive Effect" to the original file.

This might explain why you're original file is growing in sizes.

If I'm misunderstanding, then think the opposite.

Meaning, you have Samplitude setup to save to a new file every time you calculate a destructive effect or freeze.

I have it setup to just keep saving the calculations to a single effect file that will change in size depending upon how much processing i've applied over the time of the session.

See my other photo for where this can be adjusted.

Thanks

post-5286-1232503482_thumb.jpg

post-5286-1232504340_thumb.jpg

I also noticed that you have these really weird,long file names.

Test Project 110_24_T055_FX.wav

There is a way in Samplitude to have the Track name be the recorded object's name.

In fact,IMO it should be set as a default, but for what ever reason isn't.

Simply right click on the Channel Name in the mixer window or Object Editing window.

This should bring up you track options window.

Next in the "Record" field, click the "All Tracks" button and choose (track name)

By doing this your are setting all tracks in your VIP to save the recorded object as the name of the track.

For example, the Guitar track would read "Guitar" and add a number to that if you are performing multiple takes.

post-5286-1232504858_thumb.jpg

Had a complete program crash today while working on a MIDI project. Also, I'm seeing 100% CPU usage on a simple 4 track MIDI project that interfaces with an external synth via USB. Since the project is simply reading MIDI data, why would the CPU usage be so high? This DAW normally doesn't even break a sweat.

Ok, I just closed and re-opened Samplitude and now the project starts running at about 1% CUP usage. The longer I keep playing back the tracks the higher the CPU usage gets. Stopping and starting the playback has no effect. CPU usage just slowly keeps increasing (about 1% every 10 seconds). I have to restart Samplitude to free up the CPU. Very strange. Anyone know what might be happening?

Regards,

DB

I think you could use a bit more RAM, 2 GIG is adequate but.....

I have that athlon 4800 on my last computer and its no spring chicken, take a look at those new AMD quad Phenoms or AMD quad Phenom 2's... 3.0 clockable to 3.8.......

And this forum freaking rox!

MGB

Hi MGB,

Regards,

DB

Hi DB,

No, I don't mean copying the object, if I remember well it's right click on the object then choose object, then duplicate object, and then you can choose how many times you want it duplicated, click ok and then you have as many object as you wanted after each other (no need to drag) and each duplicated object should retain it's original fade.

MGB

Hi DB.

This may help you a little.

Try right clicking on the object and choosing "Build Loop Object"?

If you've got your tempo change markers in place and have objects snapping to the grid, you should be set.

Auto crossfade needs to be enabled as well.

Makes things work like ACID or ACID files.

Just grab the edge of the object and pull.

Hey imdrecordings,

I understand building and utilizing loops in Samplitude. The only issue I have with them is with the lack of looping of the fades. If you create an audio track, press CTRL+L, and then drag either end you will notice that the fade moves and does not repeat itself with each instance of the loop. In objects where the wave may slightly exceed beyond the end of the loop (say you're trying to loop a 1 measure wave that slightly exceeds the length of the measure), without applying a fade at the very end of each loop you will here a slight click/pop. This happens in Sonar too. But it Sonar it is very easy to use what is called "Bounce to Clip" where the clip (object) is rendered in place applying whatever fades or effects you may have. Now I can do this in Samplitude by utilizing Track bouncing and setting the Generating Options to "New separate Object in current VIP" and setting the Source as Objects:bounce selected. this works but it creates a new rendered object in a new track. I can just drag the new object and replace the one in my current track ok and delete the new track, but it seems an odd way to go about it. If I choose my Generating Options as "Replace Objects in current VIP", this renders in place but for some reason the effect of the fades are NOT rendered by this method.

There is a way in Samplitude to have the Track name be the recorded object's name.

In fact,IMO it should be set as a default, but for what ever reason isn't.

Simply right click on the Channel Name in the mixer window or Object Editing window.

This should bring up you track options window.

Next in the "Record" field, click the "All Tracks" button and choose (track name)

By doing this your are setting all tracks in your VIP to save the recorded object as the name of the track.

For example, the Guitar track would read "Guitar" and add a number to that if you are performing multiple takes.

Thanks! Yeah those long file names can get pretty hairy.

Also.. from reading through your posts, it sounds as if you are having issues with Samplitude saving your "Destructive Effect" to the original file.

This might explain why you're original file is growing in sizes.

If I'm misunderstanding, then think the opposite.

Meaning, you have Samplitude setup to save to a new file every time you calculate a destructive effect or freeze.

I have it setup to just keep saving the calculations to a single effect file that will change in size depending upon how much processing i've applied over the time of the session.

I have Samplitude set up now to for "Each Record take in a new file" now, but the Wave Editor threw me a bit. I think I understand it better now. It appears just opening the Wave Editor on an object automatically applies the editing (even if there is none), thereby creating a new take which is stored in a new "FX" .wav file. Each success opening of the Wave editor creates a new take that is stored in this same FX file. I really don't understand why all of editing takes for an object are displayed in the Wave Editor, but to be honest I've just started working with it. It allows me to render fades to an object in place but it also has the potential of saving a lot of unused takes that only uses up disk space. But like I said, I'm learning.

Hi DB,

No, I don't mean copying the object, if I remember well it's right click on the object then choose object, then duplicate object, and then you can choose how many times you want it duplicated, click ok and then you have as many object as you wanted after each other (no need to drag) and each duplicated object should retain it's original fade.

MGB

Hi MGB,

Yeah, this works, but it's not as slick, IMO, as utilizing looping. If there were simply a way to render an object in place, including the effects of the fades, that would be perfect.

I think you could use a bit more RAM, 2 GIG is adequate but.....

I have that athlon 4800 on my last computer and its no spring chicken, take a look at those new AMD quad Phenoms or AMD quad Phenom 2's... 3.0 clockable to 3.8.......

And this forum freaking rox!

Hey roger,

I'm not a big soft synth user so 2G of RAM has always been plenty. My old Athlon X2 4800+ may be a relative dinosaur, but my machine is rock solid and the CPU handles whatever I throw at it with ease. I do believe my one crash I had with Samplitude may have been related with the CPU usage creep when using the CC7 MIDI volume for the track faders. I know what you mean about the newer CPU's though and all that power is fun to dream about. But DAW's can be hell...and if it ain't broke... ;)

Regards.

DB

Hey imdrecordings,

I understand building and utilizing loops in Samplitude. The only issue I have with them is with the lack of looping of the fades. If you create an audio track, press CTRL+L, and then drag either end you will notice that the fade moves and does not repeat itself with each instance of the loop. In objects where the wave may slightly exceed beyond the end of the loop (say you're trying to loop a 1 measure wave that slightly exceeds the length of the measure), without applying a fade at the very end of each loop you will here a slight click/pop. This happens in Sonar too. But it Sonar it is very easy to use what is called "Bounce to Clip" where the clip (object) is rendered in place applying whatever fades or effects you may have. Now I can do this in Samplitude by utilizing Track bouncing and setting the Generating Options to "New separate Object in current VIP" and setting the Source as Objects:bounce selected. this works but it creates a new rendered object in a new track. I can just drag the new object and replace the one in my current track ok and delete the new track, but it seems an odd way to go about it. If I choose my Generating Options as "Replace Objects in current VIP", this renders in place but for some reason the effect of the fades are NOT rendered by this method.

Wow! You're right.

Not even Glue Objects or Freeze Objects keeps the fades.

I see your point now.

Thanks.

Hi DB,

There are several approaches to this (and often in general) in Samplitude.

Instead of chosing object as source - use range and the fades are rendered.

And while you're at it, you might want to save a bounce preset for later use.

Assuming you're using Universal Mouse Mode - simply draw a range in the

upper part of the object and select 'Only marked range' in the source options.

I'd recommend assigning a hotkey for the command 'Range > Edit range >

Range over all selected objects' in the Range menu for easy range selecting

of the selected object(s). This method also has the advantage of not being

limited to the object borders. IOW, no need to edit objects/lengths if you just

draw a manual range over the part you want to render.

I have Samplitude set up now to for "Each Record take in a new file" now, but the Wave Editor threw me a bit. I think I understand it better now. It appears just opening the Wave Editor on an object automatically applies the editing (even if there is none), thereby creating a new take which is stored in a new "FX" .wav file. Each success opening of the Wave editor creates a new take that is stored in this same FX file. I really don't understand why all of editing takes for an object are displayed in the Wave Editor, but to be honest I've just started working with it. It allows me to render fades to an object in place but it also has the potential of saving a lot of unused takes that only uses up disk space. But like I said, I'm learning.

There are several options here as well. You're correct about the object being

added to a single wav file each time you select 'Edit copy of wave project'.

Just use that command the first time to get a copy of the object/wav. Next

time, choose 'Wave Editing' instead and you'll edit the copy (without creating

multiple appended regions). Edits are transferred when you close the editor.

A note about the takes that are impossible to delete from the Take Manager:

I've been requesting an option to delete unwanted takes in the Take Manager

for a long time, and we finally got it in version 10.2. ;) Please note that takes

are just deleted from the list in the Take Manager (and the Ctrl + right click

object context take selection menu) so they're still present in the wav files.

Hope this helps. :P

Regards,

Tobben

There are several approaches to this (and often in general) in Samplitude.

Instead of chosing object as source - use range and the fades are rendered.

And while you're at it, you might want to save a bounce preset for later use.

Assuming you're using Universal Mouse Mode - simply draw a range in the

upper part of the object and select 'Only marked range' in the source options.

I'd recommend assigning a hotkey for the command 'Range > Edit range >

Range over all selected objects' in the Range menu for easy range selecting

of the selected object(s). This method also has the advantage of not being

limited to the object borders. IOW, no need to edit objects/lengths if you just

draw a manual range over the part you want to render.

Hi Tobben,

Thank you so much. That is precisely what I was looking for. I knew there had to be a simple way of doing this.

Regards,

DB

I,m golng to have to side with the dongl`ers,here, the free stuff,(Sam Project) had nothing except an(I do) agreement;Sam 7 had the `ol question/response.Samplitude V-8,came with the dongle,I tethered it to a usb extension,and,unless I need it for remote stuff,(which is rare)it has been there,on the mixing desk,winking merrily at me whenever I open "the Greatest Daw "out there.I have a humble private studio,mostly low budget equipment,but since I use one of the best digital recording tools,I get sound comparable to much more expensive equipment(it ain`t what you`ve got,it`s how you use it).That being said,if you are investing ,this Dongle issue is something you should Really wrestle with.Before 1999,I was Hardcore analog-Tape only-tube only,you see??I love my Samplitude 9. Soon to be 10, ...Mace... P.S. Samplitude does`nt look like a video game,or,a childs Toy,(like some universally utilized programs)just sayin,....

I,m golng to have to side with the dongl`ers,here, the free stuff,(Sam Project) had nothing except an(I do) agreement;Sam 7 had the `ol question/response.Samplitude V-8,came with the dongle,I tethered it to a usb extension,and,unless I need it for remote stuff,(which is rare)it has been there,on the mixing desk,winking merrily at me whenever I open "the Greatest Daw "out there.I have a humble private studio,mostly low budget equipment,but since I use one of the best digital recording tools,I get sound comparable to much more expensive equipment(it ain`t what you`ve got,it`s how you use it).That being said,if you are investing ,this Dongle issue is something you should Really wrestle with.Before 1999,I was Hardcore analog-Tape only-tube only,you see??I love my Samplitude 9. Soon to be 10, ...Mace... P.S. Samplitude does`nt look like a video game,or,a childs Toy,(like some universally utilized programs)just sayin,....

No sides here, holyjaguar. Hopefully, just reasonable people agreeing to disagree. :)

I've put in a lot of hours over the last week evaluating Samplitude and my tendency is to agree that it's very good DAW software. Sonar is good DAW software too and I admire their protection/activation policy. Fortunately, for Samplitude 10 (not pro) the dongle is optional. If I purchase, this would be my route (though I do take objection to the installation of CodeMeter software without my permission).

Many have no problems with dongles and 3rd party software. Many others do. Personally, there are other perfectly reliable protection schemes that make them unnecessary...and to lose a sale because you don't respect people who do have issues with dongles is, in my opinion, just plain silly.

Regards,

DB

Hi,DB,..no offense mean`t,or,taken,I Can see your points.I`ve grown used to the thing,but,you seem to be moving right along with Sam. I`ll just read these posts,and,Learn myself.I am currently trying to get my Alesis usb kit to do it`s thing.Sam. is not a problem,but bfd,is.Good luck,and,if I can do anything to help,give me a shout.(I don`t think I`m using Sam.to the potential I could be),I have found that out Here. ...Mace...

I'm sitting at my old computer waiting for a callback from Cubase tech support (5 hours now), Googling "Best Sounding DAW" and came up with Samplitude. I am seriously thinking of defecting. I have had Cubase 4 since it came out and have had a lot of problems, but as DB said, I don't want to trade one problem for another. I'll tell my story and see if anyone can address my fears.

I have an Acer computer with a Core 2 Duo 2Ghz processor and two gigs of ram. I have a 400GB "C" hard drive and a 160 GB drive that I have my BFD 2 samples on. I have 24 faders of Mackie Control Universal Pro. I have a UAD-2 Quad card, with almost all of the plugins that they offer. I have an EMI Abbey Road compressor limiter, Nomad Fairchild compressor, Altiverb 6, Miroslav Philharmonic, BFD 2 and many other plugins. I use an LA 610 for my vocals (with a Soundelux 251 mic) and have many outboard preamps by Focusrite and Presonus as well as outboard effects. I use a Presonus FireStudio and DigiMax fs as my sound card. My work flow is very analog like. I lay the drums tracks using my V-Drums (kick snare and eight tom pads) to trigger BFD 2 and I use real cymbals and mic them. Then I export the multiple outs (snare, kick, hi/mid/low and floor toms, and overheads) to audio so that I can process them and take some load off of the cpu. I record the guitars, bass, vocals, keyboards and what ever else I need. I usually run about three plugs per track (Helios ot Neve EQ, 1176/LA 2A/LA 3A or Fairchild compressors, and sometimes a tape emulation), then I "freeze the tracks in Cubase (again, to free up cpu). I'll subgroup (vocals, drums, lead and rythm guitar, bass, and orchestrations) and use a compressor on that, but won't be able to freeze those. I use a stereo buss comp on the out as well as an ARC room correction program (while I'm mixing).

Now...when I first got Cubase 4, it worked fine. Then, with updates, it got really buggy. I started getting awful ASIO time overloads. When I called Cubase support, they were so condescending. They talked down to me and were not very helpful. Of all the times that I talked to them, there was only one person who really tried to help. The answer always was "do a complete uninstall and then reinstall." Not having done this, I expressed my fear that I would lose all the work that I had done on a project. Instead of explaining it, to calm my fears of hours of lost work, all I got was "just do the uninstall and reinstall." After all that, they wound up rolling me back to a previous version and things started working again. I just finished a project that had 52 audio tracks at 96K/32 bit floating (which is what I normally record at). It had all the plugins, frozen tracks (that I mentioned before) and automation. No problem. Finished and mastered in T-Racks 3 and dithered with ozone's MBIT+.

I noticed something that needed to be fixed with the drums and wanted to try my newly installed Miroslav Philharmonic to replace the cellos and French horns. I was getting huge ASIO overloads, so I called tech support and got the "update to 4.5.2" mantra (I was at 4.1.0). I explained how I was rolled back to a previous version in the past and had trepidations about updating, but I got the condescending monotone "you have to update." Well, I did and it's unusable. The CPU is spiked to the top and there is no sound. It wasn't like that before and my hardware has not changed (except for going from UAD-1 to a UAD-2 Quad, but I did the last project with it and there was no problem).

So, there you have it. I want to record without all the bugs, pops, clicks glitches, etc. I want it to sound the best that it can and I don't want to spend even more money to get the same set of problems. Will Samplitude work with my system and be free from all these bugs so that I can just work without all these problems? I have to say that. after reading some of these posts, you people seem a LOT more helpful and polite. It's refreshing. Thanks

Hi MJB...

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your system...

Here is what I suggest, download Samp 10 FREE for 30 days and play around with it...ask questions here...also download my Opt Guide (still valid mostly for V10 but I am updating it as I write this). I think you made a great observation...the people around here are a different breed. Music and Audio come first as well as an intelligent and respectful tone of discourse.

Opt Guide Link: ftp://ftp.orangehillaudio.com/pub/Optimiz...uide2-13-08.pdf

Samp 10 Free for 30 days Link: http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/

Hi MJB...

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your system...

Here is what I suggest, download Samp 10 FREE for 30 days and play around with it...ask questions here...also download my Opt Guide (still valid mostly for V10 but I am updating it as I write this). I think you made a great observation...the people around here are a different breed. Music and Audio come first as well as an intelligent and respectful tone of discourse.

Opt Guide Link: ftp://ftp.orangehillaudio.com/pub/Optimiz...uide2-13-08.pdf

Samp 10 Free for 30 days Link: http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/

Hey MJB,

I encourage you to try the download. I think you'll be impressed. I know I am. The learning curve may be a bit steep but don't let that discourage you.

And yes, with only 1 exception in this entire thread, the discourse around here is very upbeat and helpful. :)

Good luck!

Regards,

DB

And yes, with only 1 exception in this entire thread, the discourse around here is very upbeat and helpful. :)

I wanted to say that this is very much because of your contributions. You have taken moderating action repeatedly, in spite of some harsh comments, including some of mine. Kudos DBMusic.

Regards,

Sebastian