DBMusic

Second Thoughts?

Yes, I agree with Sebastian that DB has done some REAL due diligence with the program, pointed out some things, and kept going, which is a lot more than some people do.

Besides the usual helpful, courteous, professional demeanor of the folks on this forum, I think you'll find the program rather refreshing. It can be deep and confronting at times, but if you dig in, it will respond.

The only other thing I can say is - WOW do you have a LOT of stuff going on! :)

So, I also recommend the demo, and then slowly building up a project using your go-to plugs and build up from there to see what Samplitude can handle on your system.

Samplitude is NOT Cubase, and is NOT plug-n-play, so you may have to do some optimizations along the way.

Have fun,

Greg

Sebastian and Greg, thanks for the kudos. And thanks to all who have taken the time and effort to offer your feedback an opinions. I placed my order for Samplitude today. :)

Regards,

DB

Hi MJB...

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your system...

Here is what I suggest, download Samp 10 FREE for 30 days and play around with it...ask questions here...also download my Opt Guide (still valid mostly for V10 but I am updating it as I write this). I think you made a great observation...the people around here are a different breed. Music and Audio come first as well as an intelligent and respectful tone of discourse.

Opt Guide Link: ftp://ftp.orangehillaudio.com/pub/Optimiz...uide2-13-08.pdf

Samp 10 Free for 30 days Link: http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for the reply. I'll give it a shot. This forum, and you at Samplitude, definitely make one feel welcome and give me hope that, if there is a problem, it will be solved. Thanks so much.

BTW, if this is the route that I decide to take, what would be more cost affective in purchasing Samplitude v10 pro? Crossgrade from Cubase 4 or an Academic version (my wife is a teacher and my son, who lives at home with us, is a theater major at Rhode Island College)? Thanks again!

Hi MJB...

Here is what I suggest, download Samp 10 FREE for 30 days and play around with it...ask questions here...also download my Opt Guide (still valid mostly for V10 but I am updating it as I write this). I think you made a great observation...the people around here are a different breed. Music and Audio come first as well as an intelligent and respectful tone of discourse.

Hey MJB,

I encourage you to try the download. I think you'll be impressed. I know I am. The learning curve may be a bit steep but don't let that discourage you.

And yes, with only 1 exception in this entire thread, the discourse around here is very upbeat and helpful. :)

Good luck!

Regards,

DB

And thanks to DB for the encouragement!

Sebastian and Greg, thanks for the kudos. And thanks to all who have taken the time and effort to offer your feedback an opinions. I placed my order for Samplitude today. :)

Regards,

DB

:o Great!

MJB: I think you won't regret switching. I haven't used Cubase but I have used Live, Acid and Project5, and in every case customer support (however courteous) made me feel like my views as a user were barely relevant to the product's development. (So irrelevant in the case of Project5 that all development on it seems to have stopped!).

The Samplitude developers have always been very helpful and responsive, and to me this is a crucial difference.

Plug-in wizard Sascha even tested his home recording hardware for me to help diagnose a problem with my sound interface. :blink:

Also, when a feature or bug doesn't work as I'd currently expect/want, it is always possible to have a constructive discussion about it (both on the forum and by email), and usually the next version of the program addresses the issue.

Of course, no software is perfect, but to feel involved in the development process counterbalances this -- unlike the ominous feeling I got with several other DAWs of "there are problems now, and it's probably just going to get worse" (take a look at the Live forums, for instance -- stability seems never to improve!).

Good luck with your decision and testing...

:lol:

Regards,

DB

Uh-Oh! :blink:

Congratulations!

Greg

And thanks to DB for the encouragement!

Hey MJB,

You're very welcome...and the best of luck with your decision. Keep in mind that often one of the hardest things to overcome in adapting to any new system of doing things is the bias we bring from our previous experience. Several times in evaluating Samplitude I was stopped cold wondering what the heck was going on only to eventually discover it to be something really easy...albeit just a bit different route to the same destination. The reasons that brought me here were a bit different from yours in that I have a very stable system. Apart from 1 issue in Samplitude that was reported resolved in version 10.2 (the DLV is 10.1 and cannot be updated while in trial mode), both Sonar and Samplitude run perfect on my system. For me it was more about poorly implemented features, poor resolution response, and the feeling that the general trend for a target market was more the novice home hobbyist. That's all good and well, just not personally what I'm looking for.

I do hope you find some resolution to your DAW issues. And once again, I wish you the best on your decision to give Samplitude a try.

Regards,

DB

Sebastian and Greg, thanks for the kudos. And thanks to all who have taken the time and effort to offer your feedback an opinions. I placed my order for Samplitude today. :blink:

Regards,

DB

Ahhh, you have chosen most wisely, Grasshopper. :)

:lol:

Hi MJB...

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for the reply. I'll give it a shot. This forum, and you at Samplitude, definitely make one feel welcome and give me hope that, if there is a problem, it will be solved. Thanks so much.

BTW, if this is the route that I decide to take, what would be more cost affective in purchasing Samplitude v10 pro? Crossgrade from Cubase 4 or an Academic version (my wife is a teacher and my son, who lives at home with us, is a theater major at Rhode Island College)? Thanks again!

We have a NAMM Crossgrade Special going on and had a Holdiday Special that some dealers may have in stock for $499 for Pro...you just can't get in for any lower price...so now is the time to get it.

Check with Sweetwater, ProAudio Toys, AudioMIDI and some other dealers will no doubt be taking orders as well...the special is only good until Feb. 31st.

Hi MJB...

Thanks for the info on the crossgrade, I'll give Bob Mondock at Sweetwater a call.

I hate to be a pain, but there has been a new development and I wanted to check with you before I downloaded. I've just ordered a new computer (hoping that it will solve any future problems). Right now I have an Acer with a Core 2 duo 2ghz processor and 2 gb of ram. I have a 400 and a 160 gig hard drive and I'm using Presonus firestudio and DigiMax fs for a sound card. I'm running XP Pro

the new computer is a Dell with a Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor with 2.33Ghhz per core. 6 Gb of DDR2 SDRAM. 750 GB hard drive and an external 1 TB hard drive. Vista 64 bit OS

I'll use the same sound card and I do all my drum tracks with V-Drums triggering BFD 2. I make extensive use of the UAD-2 Quad card as well as EMI Abbey road Comp/Limiter and Nomad LM-622. I also use IK Multimedia ARC room correction as well as the Classik Studio Reverb, Miroslave Philharmonik and T-Racks 3. My Main reverb is Altiverb 6.

Will I have a problem with any of this using Samplitude?

Thanks

Hi MJB...

Hey MJB,

I encourage you to try the download. I think you'll be impressed. I know I am. The learning curve may be a bit steep but don't let that discourage you.

And yes, with only 1 exception in this entire thread, the discourse around here is very upbeat and helpful. :)

Good luck!

Regards,

DB

I am so impressed with with how much people seem to care here and the level of helpful input. Thanks again - MJB

Hi MJB...

Thanks for the info on the crossgrade, I'll give Bob Mondock at Sweetwater a call.

I hate to be a pain, but there has been a new development and I wanted to check with you before I downloaded. I've just ordered a new computer (hoping that it will solve any future problems). Right now I have an Acer with a Core 2 duo 2ghz processor and 2 gb of ram. I have a 400 and a 160 gig hard drive and I'm using Presonus firestudio and DigiMax fs for a sound card. I'm running XP Pro

the new computer is a Dell with a Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor with 2.33Ghhz per core. 6 Gb of DDR2 SDRAM. 750 GB hard drive and an external 1 TB hard drive. Vista 64 bit OS

I'll use the same sound card and I do all my drum tracks with V-Drums triggering BFD 2. I make extensive use of the UAD-2 Quad card as well as EMI Abbey road Comp/Limiter and Nomad LM-622. I also use IK Multimedia ARC room correction as well as the Classik Studio Reverb, Miroslave Philharmonik and T-Racks 3. My Main reverb is Altiverb 6.

Thanks

You shouldn't, but you won't really know until you download and push the program to see what it can do.

Some UAD users may chime in here re: old compatibility issues that have since been resolved, and I've heard mixed things about BFD not liking Samplitude's hybrid engine (or whatever), but I think you'll be OK.

I would advise to build up a project bit-by-bit to see how far you can go.

There is also a LAA version of Samplitude for the over-2Gig-RAM configurations (running here on two 4Gig systems no problems).

Also, Kraznet and a few others are having some success with the 64-bit OS's.

Be sure to watch the videos on the samplitude.com site as well.

I say go for it :)

Greg

Hi MJB...

Thanks

I am sure we will sort you out...64 bit is still not working all that well across the industry, hence our reluctance to adopt it immediately. For the matter ReWire doesn't work in 64bit...so...just a heads up. We all agree that it is the future but it's still a work in progress and until certain issues resolve themselves we will take the pragmatic approach.

My best suggestion to you is to put BFD on its own drive and DO NOT share it with other VSTi's...etc. For that matter, any VSTi Sampler that utilizes Disk Streaming should be on it's own dedicated drive.

You will need to use the LAA version of Samp found in the registered user forum in order to access more RAM...but we stress that this is to be used at your own risk...as do all manufactures.

You will need to ensure that you have no IRQ sharing going on with all the cards you will have in your system. Check with your MOBO manual as to what slots are sharing.

You will also need to install the correct CodeMeter Runtime for 64 bit OS's.

Email proservice@magix.net if you have issues after buying the software and they will take care of you as well as all of us here...you are the perfect guinea pig...lol...

Bottom line...do your home work before getting zealous on your install...do one thing at a time and reboot and test. Doing a proper install can take a good week if not weeks...so be patient and don't be afraid to ask questions and do research. Google is your buddy.

Read my Opt Guide from head to toe...the new one will be out soon and will cover much of your setup.

Thanks Tom, Greg and DB. It seems that I have my work cut out for me. I just found out that PreSonus does not have drivers for the FireStudio for Vista 64 yet. They probabley won't have it until the end of Febuary, at the earliest. So, it looks like I have to play the waiting game. I guess this gives me time to do my homework (thanks Tom :) )

All the best and thanks!

If I were you I would just buy an OEM version of XP Pro and take out some RAM and do a dual boot system...that way you can play around with Vista and get some work done.

Is there are way to control the tracks size behavior when adding or deleting new tracks? There are a few things the I find somewhat annoying that I cannot find in any setup options. For example, we using a key binding to add a new audio track the vertical size takes up my entire screen. Is there not a way you can set a default size for new tracks?

However, If I create a track my left-clicking and select Insert Track(s) and acceptable sized track is created.

Next, when I delete a track all other tracks in the Track View are for some reason resized. Of course I can save a Track View preset but I would really like to be able to add and remove tracks without these major track size adjustments. Is there a way to control this Track View behavior? I've searched through the project and help file and can't seem to find any setting that would affect this.

Regards,

DB

I'm going a little nuts here with what should be, in my estimation very simple tasks. For example, I want to bounce several percussion tracks to a separate track. I've tried several ways but all I end up with around 500 MB and 360 new files in my project folder that are useless to me. Why is this so convoluted? In Sonar you just select the tracks you want to bounce, select the bounce parameters, select the target track, and just bounce. In Samplitude I have no idea how to do this simple task. I can't even seem to figure out how to select multiple tracks. I simply want the end result of bouncing multiple tracks to be 1 new wave represented by 1 new object on a new track. Easy, right?

Also, I have 100's of new unused files in my project folder that I created just trying to achieve the above. Now when I use the Remove unused samples... feature, none of these files are deleted. I've deleted my undo history, restarted Samplitude and can get this feature to delete NONE of these new filed.

Frustrating. Is there something I'm missing here. This really should be DAW basics.

Regards,

DB

This is an example of the track-only vs. object/range/track paradigm of Samp.

You can range-bounce, object-bounce, or track-bounce (by soloing the tracks you want to mixdown).

There's also ways of using folder tracks and freezing tracks in order to get a mixdowns that way.

Hope this works for you.

Greg

Randy, Greg

Thanks guys. When navigating new paradigms sometimes the wall we beat our head against ends up being our own perceptual bias on how we've done things in the past. The frustration is similar to suddenly finding yourself stuck in traffic on a road you've traveled a thousand times before.

Does anyone have any input regarding what appears to be this track automatic resizing? I seem to be spending and inordinate amount of time manually vertically resizing tracks each time I add or delete new tracks? I would really like each track to maintain it's height when working on others.

Also, this "Remove unused samples" doesn't appear to work very well. Maybe another paradigm I can't get my head around? But I know I can create literally hundreds of files this function will not remove from a project folder even though I've clears all reference to them in the project (deleted the Undo history, takes, tracks, objects) and I can manually delete these files while Samplitude is still open. I'm definitely a stickler when it comes to file maintenance so I'm curious as to what I'm missing here.

Regards,

DB

Greetings DB and welcome aboard. The "unused samples" is for the unused sections of files that ARE used in the VIP. This is not to clean out unused FILES. This was very useful in the past (long ago) when we still had each take/record append too the same file. There were other issues with the one file does all so most of us record "each take to new file" which I believe you are already doing. If you record a 10 sec segment of audio, cut it in half. You can grab a lower corner and drag it back out again. Cut it in half again and use the delete unused samples, you can no longer extend this object again. Unused samples are gone.

We have been asking for a method to delete unused files for a while but for now I tend to get rid of them when I back up project to another drive. I use "save complete VIP" and check "only used samples" to the new local and this works very well. Hope this takes the confussion out.

Jeff

My fellow San Diegan Jeff is correct. :)

The 'remove unused samples' can be confusing and can get OVERUSED, so I've adopted the 'save complete VIP in' and merely archive older files onto an external archive drive. MUCH cleaner this way anyways, since I can always go back and rebuild in case of a major drive crash (which occurred for me several years ago).

It's NOT designed as a robust file management tool.

Regarding track height - I'll have to test what is happening when adding new tracks, but I personally am so used to using mousewheel with ctrl or alt, or ctrl+alt to zoom into active tracks that I never think about it :blink: . Samplitude DOES have a similar drag the bottom/top edge of the track paradigm as the Sonars and Cubases, but I'm not sure about being able to set a custom default starter track height.

Perhaps Volker or someone can chime in with maybe a custom .ini file setting somewhere.

Or maybe I'll find it. :ph34r:

Greg

Greg, Jeff

Thanks, that explains a great deal about "Remove unused samples". The "save complete VIP" feature appears like a good way to handle file maintenance. IMO though, having an efficient way to remove all unreferenced project files would be an obvious benefit.

As to the track resizing, there appears to be some sort of rescaling of remaining track sizes when deleting tracks and also some inconsistency in the size of new tracks. This isn't a big issue. I'm just a bit of a neatness freak and I'm used to having everything on my screen stay exactly as it is until I specifically take some action on a target track. Again, one of those perceptual issues I've grown accustomed to over the years.

Regards,

DB