DonM

New User Old Time Sonar User

All;

I need a little 'cross grade' tutorial. I am an advanced Sonar user (I even teach Sonar at a local University) so my learning curve to Samplitude will be in huge tall steps rather than long slopes. I have less than one week to get some of my Samplitude chops up. I just downloaded Music Studio to get up and running before going to Samp 10.

With y'all's permission I'd like to post some questions that will get me up and running very quickly. BTW I have read through much of the manual already and found some of the things I wanted to know buried below my first couple of passes.

Some workflow questions:

#1 Solved

#2 Insert Markers on-the-fly during recording. Man, I really looked all over the manual for this.

#3 Select All Tracks and Proportionally resize vertically. In Sonar CTRL-A selects all tracks and then if I hold the Shift key down while dragging down the height of one track, all selected tracks will resize according to my selected track height.

#4 Create an input series. For instance in Sonar I can have a 16 track project and in one command set the hardware input on each channel from my first to 16th input or any value in-between.

#5 Select all tracks and change the output route.

#6 Importing Audio: When I Shift or Ctrl Select Audio for Import in Sonar, Sonar will automatically create tracks or start at the selected track and align all selected files in stacked tracks. Samplitude seems to 'stuff' all of the audio files on top of each other in one track - why would anyone ever want that result - anyway how do I align 8 tracks of imported audio into 8 tracks?

#7 Object moving. Once I import audio into a track I can't move it anywhere? I have clicked through several 'unlock' object settings and the clip won't move.

I produce classical music and typically do long on-location recordings. Samplitude has a tremendous reputation in the Classical Music world and I suspect it will fit fine in my environment. I appreciate some of the assistance and would like to post some follow up questions before the recording on Friday - so thanks in advance!!

-D

As a follow up..

Now I'm really confused, I purchased the download version of Samplitude Music Studio 14 and just discovered there is a Samplitude Music Studio 15 available. Does the Magix website not prevent you from ordering an older version? Do I qualify for a upgrade to 15 and at what price since I just purchased 14?

Thanks in advance.

-D

#1 Solved

(Alt-Shift-click on Track arming - correct...?)

#2 Insert Markers on-the-fly during recording.

German system here, but try shortcut "?". In the area/marker menus should be plenty of marker-related commands

#3 Select All Tracks and Proportionally resize vertically.

Please right-click in the track head, there should a menu come up containing all track size-options.

#4 Create an input series.

Call the track-properties menu: The "+" Buttons next to the device selectors allow assignements for the next channels, however you will have to repeat this for multiple channels. Alternatively, the routing manager provides a matrix view.

#5 Select all tracks and change the output route.

I would use the mixer/track setup dialogue, there are routing commands available in the right bottom. (Accessable via project options or dedicated button in the mixer, among others...)

#6 Importing Audio:

The "load audio file" dialogue usually provides an "options" button, please look here.

#7 Object moving. Once I import audio into a track I can't move it anywhere? I have clicked through several 'unlock' object settings and the clip won't move.

Of course not... Plesse try to understand the object modes, maybe you have chosen an object mode where objects are virtually connected to each other.

I also use Samplitudes/Sequoia for classical, it's very likely you will be enthusiastic about it!

Regards,

Ulrich

Hey DonM,

Sonar user here too. The biggest issue I have in Samplitude is "unlearning" my ways of doing things in Sonar. Unfortunately, different methodologies make the learning curve rather steep. Trying to cram a 1 week crash course in Samplitude is going to be daunting so I would expect you to encounter some frustration. I'm still learning my way around Samplitude too so I can't be all that helpful in getting you up and operation in a short time. But I can offer encouragement to stick with it. There are a few head-scratchers (I don't really care for their approach to file management, seeing old UAD integration issues that are thing of the past in Sonar is annoying, and then there's this dongle nonsense if you go with the Pro version), but the more I use Samplitude 10 the more I'm impressed. Another thing is the professional and helpful environment you'll find in the forums. Good luck!

Regards,

DB

Hey DonM,

Sonar user here too. The biggest issue I have in Samplitude is "unlearning" my ways of doing things in Sonar. Unfortunately, different methodologies make the learning curve rather steep. Trying to cram a 1 week crash course in Samplitude is going to be daunting so I would expect you to encounter some frustration. I'm still learning my way around Samplitude too so I can't be all that helpful in getting you up and operation in a short time. But I can offer encouragement to stick with it. There are a few head-scratchers (I don't really care for their approach to file management, seeing old UAD integration issues that are thing of the past in Sonar is annoying, and then there's this dongle nonsense if you go with the Pro version), but the more I use Samplitude 10 the more I'm impressed. Another thing is the professional and helpful environment you'll find in the forums. Good luck!

Regards,

DB

DB:

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry about the frustration, I've grown accustomed to that. I am a bit 'frustrated' about the rev from 14 to 15 if I would be required to pay for it. So far Samplitude is doing 'exactly' what I need it to do in my pre-production tests. I have a lot of work to do prior to my live on-location this Friday.

I still would like to know how to place markers on the fly during recording - I can't find that anywhere.

-D

I still would like to know how to place markers on the fly during recording - I can't find that anywhere.

You can use the button in the tool bar or you can use the screen "Recording Parameters" (Right click on the Record button in the transport bar) where there is a button to put the markers on the fly.

JMM

You can use the button in the tool bar or you can use the screen "Recording Parameters" (Right click on the Record button in the transport bar) where there is a button to put the markers on the fly.

JMM

JMM:

Thanks, doing more tests in preparation for Friday's recording.

-D

JMM

JMM:

Thanks, doing more tests in preparation for Friday's recording.

-D

Hi DonM

I found Kraznets' tutorials to be well done and cohesive in making the transition from SONAR to SAMPLITUDE

and I am very happy with the results!

http://www.youtube.com/user/kraznet

Samplitude here :

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/tutorial_videos.html

Thanks again ( for the hundreth time ) Kraznet !

I hope its ok I posted the link here

DB

DB:

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry about the frustration, I've grown accustomed to that. I am a bit 'frustrated' about the rev from 14 to 15 if I would be required to pay for it. So far Samplitude is doing 'exactly' what I need it to do in my pre-production tests. I have a lot of work to do prior to my live on-location this Friday.

-D

Shift and right bracket for the marker on the fly thing

(Sam10)

As a follow up..

Now I'm really confused, I purchased the download version of Samplitude Music Studio 14 and just discovered there is a Samplitude Music Studio 15 available. Does the Magix website not prevent you from ordering an older version? Do I qualify for a upgrade to 15 and at what price since I just purchased 14?

Thanks in advance.

-D

If you do mostly classical recording, don't worry about SMS15. It's a minor evolution of SMS14 and mostly around MIDI and Virtual instruments.

I have SMS14 (2008 in Europe) and Samp10DLV. The second in its last version (10.21) is more stable than SMS and I can enjoy some missing functions in SMS (asymetric crossfades, objects eq, pre and post plugs management and better integrated plugins, etc.)

I don't know Sonar, but for me Samplitude give me very natural and easy workflows that I don't find in other DAWS

JMM