sototally

Pro Tools user checking out Samplitude

Hi everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been using Pro Tools LE and more recently M-Powered for about 10 years. I still very much love the Pro Tools interface, but I am getting frustrated with 1.) the limitation in the available hardware interfaces, and 2.) the bugginess of the software that seems to never really be fixed.

I have been playing around with the Samplitude demo, and I am liking it so far, but I'm having trouble doing basic things, mainly audio track editing. I have been watching the tutorials Samplitude has on their site, and although they are very helpful. I'd love some sort of resource that would help a Pro Tools user learn Samplitude. I'm not sure if anything like this even exists, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

Also, one followup question that I'm unclear on. What Virtual Instruments are included with Samplitude (and which additional ones are included with Samplitude Pro)? Pro Tools 8 made a big change from 7 in included the new VIs, piano, hammond organ, and a bunch of other stuff.

Any help I can get on progressing in Samplitude would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there ,

I've just broken down some of my tutorials into 75 smaller chunks on my YouTube page . www.youtube.com/kraznet look for SamplitudeSequoiaBasics . Maybe that will help a bit . What kind of things do you need to know about audio track editing ?

Regards

Kraznet

Also here's a Feature comparison pdf

Samplitude_Comparison.pdf

Hi there ,

I've just broken down some of my tutorials into 75 smaller chunks on my YouTube page . www.youtube.com/kraznet look for SamplitudeSequoiaBasics . Maybe that will help a bit . What kind of things do you need to know about audio track editing ?

Regards

Kraznet

Thanks Kraznet. I'll check out the smaller chunk videos.

One thing that would be good to know is how one would reverse some tweaking they've done.

For kicks, I imported a .wav file. And I've used T to cut it. pitched some of it up, and time stretched a little as per your tutorial. But say, I wanted to recombine my splits where I pressed T and bring the pitch back to normal. how would I go about doing that?

Hi there ,

Regards

Kraznet

One thing that would be good to know is how one would reverse some tweaking they've done.

For kicks, I imported a .wav file. And I've used T to cut it. pitched some of it up, and time stretched a little as per your tutorial. But say, I wanted to recombine my splits where I pressed T and bring the pitch back to normal. how would I go about doing that?

Also, what's the equivilant of the Pro Tools Trimmer tool that lets you not only trim back a clip, but drag a clip back out that you've previously trimmed?

Hi there ,

Regards

Kraznet

Also, what's the equivilant of the Pro Tools Trimmer tool that lets you not only trim back a clip, but drag a clip back out that you've previously trimmed?

Another one.... when i have volume automation written over an audio track. how do i select and delete my volume automation without also deleting the audio behind it?

Object-editing in Samplitude is non-volatile, so once an object is trimmed, you can always drag the neighboring object-edges back over the trim area.

Automation - right click on volume button in VIP track or mixer and delete the desired curve as a whole, or use another automation mode to overwrite the automation, or switch to automation mouse mode and window-grab the automation nodes that you want to delete/move, etc.

Keep watching Kraznet's videos. They're very good.

Once you get the hang of Samplitude's audio editing functions, there may be no turning back :)

Greg

Click and drag the handle on the low corners on the sides of the objects.

Thanks everyone. This has all been most helpful so far.

My next endeavor is understanding what Freezing is track actually is. I think I have a handle on that one. But what I don't understand is Gluing a track. What's that.

Firstly, is Freeze Track similar to the Pro Tools "Consolidate Region"? Whereby taking a track and basically rendering all your cuts, edits, fades, etc to one single wav file? Also, from what I understand, Freezing also renders any plugins you have on the track, thereby saving you all that cpu usage. And Also, I think that you can UnFreeze, where Samplitude remembers how everything was before, and then gives you back control should you want to unFreeze it. Do I have this right? Anything else about Freeze that I missed or am not understanding correctly?

And of course, there is Gluing a track, which I don't know that I've ever heard of. So feel free to elaborate on that one if you will. In the meantime I shall search the .pdf for information on this feature.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone. This has all been most helpful so far.

My next endeavor is understanding what Freezing is track actually is. I think I have a handle on that one. But what I don't understand is Gluing a track. What's that.

Firstly, is Freeze Track similar to the Pro Tools "Consolidate Region"? Whereby taking a track and basically rendering all your cuts, edits, fades, etc to one single wav file? Also, from what I understand, Freezing also renders any plugins you have on the track, thereby saving you all that cpu usage. And Also, I think that you can UnFreeze, where Samplitude remembers how everything was before, and then gives you back control should you want to unFreeze it. Do I have this right? Anything else about Freeze that I missed or am not understanding correctly?

And of course, there is Gluing a track, which I don't know that I've ever heard of. So feel free to elaborate on that one if you will. In the meantime I shall search the .pdf for information on this feature.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, freezing tracks captures everything that's resident on that track - including any inserted effects, etc. You can even freeze otherwise empty aux/submix channels that have effects on them :) It's also possible to freeze objects.

I sometimes use freeze for rendering out a quick stem that can be dragged into any other editor (Protools, Sonar, DP, etc.) - since the frozen track or object IS a wave file.

Gluing is an option for 'reattaching' multiple objects on a track. Try highlighting multiple objects and go to track (in menu), and glue track objects.

Consolidating region is more similar to the mixdown function in Samplitude, since you can also mix distinct tracks, ranges (regions), or objects (depending on how you have things setup).

I'm not at my machine right now, so other guys probably have other suggestions.

Greg

gluing the track is more like track consolidation in Pro tools. Freezing renders the effects either on the object or the track on the audio in order to save CPU.

To move edits around, look for the handles. In the view options, (shift-tab) there is an option for large handles which is something I really like.

Otherwise, for timestretching and pitch, look in the object editor and you can reset them there- it is a completely non-destructive process.

For automation, you have a couple options. Select the curve you want to edit in the track editor window. Then select points and delete. You also have an option in the automation menu to delete all points. You'll find in Samp that you automate slightly differently because of the object-based editing. You grab objects to adjust gain in the gross sense and you can automate the fader for fine tuning. If you want to move an entire region of automation, you either need to select and drag or just make an object undeath the automation and drag that up or down. Sounds a bit cumbersome, but once you are used to it, it really isn't so bad.

That being said, there are certain things in PT automation that it would be nice to see here as well... All in due time, I suppose.

--Ben

When doing automation also check out the object based automation. Any automation you do on an object is like making changes via wave editing (only non-destructively!) as it will be locked to the object no matter where you move it, either within the track or to a completely different track. You can even cross fade this object with other objects (which can have their own automation as well). Object based automation is absolutely brilliant! :blink: I find I use object based automation more than anything I do a lot of performance correcting with volume automation (such as softening loud notes, making soft notes louder, fading into and out of notes to smooth them out, etc.) and all of this type of editing I want to stay in perfect time with that object no matter where I move it to later.

There is nothing like Samp's object based editing in any other DAW and once you get a good handle on it, you will wonder how on earth you EVER lived without it! :)

-tkr

Hi there ,

Regards

Kraznet

really enjoyin' your vids!!! like the OP i'm a long time PT user and more than anythin' right now i'm really annoyed at the audio timeline placement bug in 8.0.4 on W7 and Avid's slow-pokin' at givin' users a fix. literally i cannot use 8.0.4 to track/record due to how it is placing the audio in the timeline. anyway, it's my first look at Samplitude. so just tryin' to get a feel for what the learnin' curve might be. again, thanks for the vids...helps me out tremendously!!! regards...m

Hi there ,

Regards

Kraznet

really enjoyin' your vids!!! like the OP i'm a long time PT user and more than anythin' right now i'm really annoyed at the audio timeline placement bug in 8.0.4 on W7 and Avid's slow-pokin' at givin' users a fix. literally i cannot use 8.0.4 to track/record due to how it is placing the audio in the timeline. anyway, it's my first look at Samplitude. so just tryin' to get a feel for what the learnin' curve might be. again, thanks for the vids...helps me out tremendously!!! regards...m

Regards

Kraznet

Hi there ,

Regards

Kraznet

spread the word bro.

Object-editing in Samplitude is non-volatile, so once an object is trimmed, you can always drag the neighboring object-edges back over the trim area.

Automation - right click on volume button in VIP track or mixer and delete the desired curve as a whole, or use another automation mode to overwrite the automation, or switch to automation mouse mode and window-grab the automation nodes that you want to delete/move, etc.

Once you get the hang of Samplitude's audio editing functions, there may be no turning back :)

Greg

I have been using samp since 7.0, but this idea of 'automation' is a JOKE! the way to automate is to go over the track, over and over, and every time you touch the faders, that section gets 'overdubbed'. This is how you refine fader moves. It sounds like you're saying it's STILL an 'all or nothing' form of automation - do all your fader moves correctly, or manually 'draw' repairs. That is, frankly, absurd. Why Samplitude doesn't have 'flying faders' style automation (especially when you've got a touch-sensitive external controller like I do) is beyond me. This should have been implemented YEARS ago.

Greg

I have been using samp since 7.0, but this idea of 'automation' is a JOKE! the way to automate is to go over the track, over and over, and every time you touch the faders, that section gets 'overdubbed'. This is how you refine fader moves. It sounds like you're saying it's STILL an 'all or nothing' form of automation - do all your fader moves correctly, or manually 'draw' repairs. That is, frankly, absurd. Why Samplitude doesn't have 'flying faders' style automation (especially when you've got a touch-sensitive external controller like I do) is beyond me. This should have been implemented YEARS ago.

Are you using Overwrite automation mode?

Under Automation>Automation mode - or right-click over automation button (such as near volume fader), and select overwrite mode.

After selecting a range, and turning on loop mode, you should be able to keep adjusting your fader, and the curve and nodes should follow.

Greg