simontait

Help - track effects don't work with VSTI instrument

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I have a problem with Samplitude 11 Download edition which I am using on Windows 7 64 bit home premium.

I have a 32 bit plugin for Linux sampler and a big library of giga samples.

I've managed to fire up Linux sampler and load an instrument.

I've recorded a short midi tune which plays back fine.

I can use master effects ok but when I try Soundfx or any other track effects, they don't appear to work.

I also tried this with Kontakt player with the same problem.

Can anyone advise me please?

Thanks very much,

Simon

You can use effects and audio plug-ins on the Audio Return tracks of the VSTi. Check which tracks receive audio return in the VSTi manager.

(In samplitude, you can keep both a VSTi feeding MIDI objects and the VSTi audio returns on the same track, but especially with multi-timbral sampler VSTis, you might prefer separate tracks for feeding MIDI and audio returns which is possible, too. The VSTi routing assistant dialog comes up if you insert any VSTi which has more than one stereo output. You can change the routing also afterwards if needed.)

Also, if you play your VSTi live, you have to use Hybrid engine/mixer monitoring with ASIO.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Frank

Where are you loading your track effects?

Have you tried using aux channels for effects?

Greg

You can use effects and audio plug-ins on the Audio Return tracks of the VSTi. Check which tracks receive audio return in the VSTi manager.

(In samplitude, you can keep both a VSTi feeding MIDI objects and the VSTi audio returns on the same track, but especially with multi-timbral sampler VSTis, you might prefer separate tracks for feeding MIDI and audio returns which is possible, too. The VSTi routing assistant dialog comes up if you insert any VSTi which has more than one stereo output. You can change the routing also afterwards if needed.)

Also, if you play your VSTi live, you have to use Hybrid engine/mixer monitoring with ASIO.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Frank

Thanks very much Frank,

Yes this does solve my problem! It seems the audio track for VITA is associated with the corresponding midi track - but for the external VSTIs I have created audio tracks which appear in the mixer, but not in the track editor. I have found the audio tracks and can now add effects to them. I found that right clicking in the mixer gives me the chance to select which instrument outputs I want to use. I will pay attention to the routing assistant next time also.

Best regards,

Simon

Where are you loading your track effects?

Have you tried using aux channels for effects?

Greg

Thanks Greg-

I was loading the track effects onto the midi track using the track editor view.

It seems the audio return was routed elsewhere.

I've now found the audio returns in the mixer and I can add effects to them.

Simon