Silent Sky

Which EQ and where to place it in the signal chain?

Just curious, but what do most of you use for basic EQ duties (hi-pass, general tone shaping, subtractive EQ for carving out space for other tracks, etc.), and where do you place it in the signal chain?

In the past, I've typically used the regular Mixer channel EQ in Samplitude, but recently got to thinking--isn't the channel EQ post-insert by default? If so, would it make better sense to change the order in the Routing Manager to set the EQ to be pre-insert instead of post insert? That way, any hi-pass filtering to clean up the low end or other cuts would occur prior to any additional processing that might be added to the Insert slots (de-esser, compressor, reverb, etc.).

I suppose that if I was using a VST EQ instead of the channel EQ, I could simply add it directly to the first insert slot, which wouldn't require any changes to the routing.

I use the channel EQ before anything else. I use this to cut any frequencies I do not want. I then do compression, gating and general tone shaping. Last I use another eq for any boosting duties. As a general rule I go through every track and cut. When I am satisfied I go back and do any boosting.

......would it make better sense to change the order in the Routing Manager to set the EQ to be pre-insert instead of post insert?

That's an interesting point. Is it possible to do that? I could use the channel eq for pre and the EQ116 for post.

It would make sense to do HP filter at least before anything else - I'm doing my best not to use too much eq but I am learning to use it and "freshners".

One way of looking at things: http://www.audio-iss...nd-compressing/

That's interesting too, thanks Omics.

That's an interesting point. Is it possible to do that? I could use the channel eq for pre and the EQ116 for post.

I'm not sitting in front of my studio PC at the moment, but yeah, I think so. Haven't played with the Routing Manager much, but from memory, it seems like you could rearrange just about everything!