xeligio

Understanding Samplitude

Hi Kraznet,

First of all I would like to better understand the different engine modes. Hybrid is recommended most of the times, as a good compromise between low latency mixer and possibility to put the tracks that don`t need extra low latency in economy mode so I would like to better understand how to use the economy tracks, different engine modes, and is there actually point to use hybrid when only mixing?

Another thing I have experienced: I recorded a midi track, routed to external synth. Everything works fine. Now when I open the project and the synth is off, it doesn`t play, obviously. When I turn the synth on, and go to MIDI menu, samplitude recognizes new connected device properly. But then when I want to play the project, samplitude is stopping the playback and saying: "Midi engine overload!Too much midi jobs." When i quit samplitude and restart the project with synth on, everything works well. Is this normal? Can I avoid it? (other than turning of the synth before opening the session in the first place of course smile.png

And is there a command to scale the tracks to the same size at once? I can scale one track by dragging the horizontal edge in track header, but often i would like to do this with more than one track. In another words, is there something like "do-to-all" command/modifier?

I will have a closer look at the workshop articles, I have read some already and they are helpful!

Many thanks

Hi Xeligio,

Here's one answer for starters:

And is there a command to scale the tracks to the same size at once? I can scale one track by dragging the horizontal edge in track header, but often i would like to do this with more than one track. In another words, is there something like "do-to-all" command/modifier?

Try Ctrl + Alt + Page Down

Regards

Kraznet

Another thing I have experienced: I recorded a midi track, routed to external synth. Everything works fine. Now when I open the project and the synth is off, it doesn`t play, obviously. When I turn the synth on, and go to MIDI menu, samplitude recognizes new connected device properly. But then when I want to play the project, samplitude is stopping the playback and saying: "Midi engine overload!Too much midi jobs." When i quit samplitude and restart the project with synth on, everything works well. Is this normal? Can I avoid it? (other than turning of the synth before opening the session in the first place of course smile.png

I just tried reproducing this scenario. I created a new project and programmed some drums triggering my external Emu Procussion sound module. I then saved the project and turned to the module off. Re-opened the project . Then I turned on the Procussion and it playedback without any error messages. What sound module are you using which is causing this problem? Is it something using a lot of CC data?

Regards

Kraznet

I use Waldorf Blofeld, known for unique sound and also plenty of bugs... the patch is actually pretty simple, so don`t think its CC overload. As you couldn`t reproduce it, I will blame the Blofeld for now.

ctrl+alt+pgup/down doesn`t do anything on my system

I use Waldorf Blofeld, known for unique sound and also plenty of bugs... the patch is actually pretty simple, so don`t think its CC overload. As you couldn`t reproduce it, I will blame the Blofeld for now.

I'm just starting to get back into using some external synth modules so I will keep an eye on things to see if any similar problems arise.

ctrl+alt+pgup/down doesn`t do anything on my system

Hmm maybe I'm using a custom command in that case. Anyway here's a quick animation showing how you can do it from the menu's.

showall.gif

You can always assign your own custom shortcuts.

Regards

Kraznet

Thanks Kraznet, that is helpful. Amazing animation, too!

Any insight regarding audio engines?

Best

Xeligio

as you already pointed out, hybrid engine is especially for monitoring through the software, when you need low latency.

in this scenario, you can lower the cpu consumption, by switching channels, that are only playing back audio to economy engine, where they are played with longer buffers.

for mixing, the economy engine is stable and good (slider to the left in settings).

one thing that is maybe interesting is, that in hybrid where the audioengine is always running, you hear the tails of reverbs and other effects that prolongue sound, when you hit stop. can give some good information, what is going on there.

mathias

Just as a general response to some of your original comments - I came to SamP via a couple of other DAWs (not PT) and I found Samp's learning curve to be very steep. It took me WAY longer to learn Samplitude than Sonar (for example). I remember sort of complaining about the lack of meaningful information in the user manual at the time (I think I came on board around Ver 9). I remember the index page numbers didn't even match up the correct pages which made the whole thing even more confusing. Application help sometimes lead you nowhere. And then, it seemed, I had to learn a new vocabulary. Everything seemed somehow counter-intuitive to me. But I was determined to press on because one important thing I noted was that Samp seemed way more stable on my machine than the other programs I had been using. It was practically bulletproof.

I spent quite a few nights reading through the manual (yes I made a hard copy). That sort of helped but eventually it seemed that the best way was to just go through each and every menu and find out where things were located and what they did. But I will end with this: it was Kraznet's videos that helped the most. I watched them all - over and over and that really helped a lot. It's one thing to sit there and read but quite another to see it in action. It'll take time. Hang in there and have fun!

The best thing is to have someone sitting next to you and explaining everything you want to know.

I think Magix is giving training courses for different programs. You might try to contact Magix about it.

Otherwise maybe a Samplitude user in the London area will help you out for for a small fee, or for free wink.png

Thank you all.

I am busier than I wish to be so not much time left to play with Samplitude right now. I had to mix couple of songs quickly so went with PT as I am faster with it, but whenever I turn on Samplitude I feel inspired and amazed. It has so many things no one even mentions - like surround panning in mixer - how cool is that!

Sometimes when I have timestretching tool, it doesn`t want to timestretch actually, instead it moves the object when I approach the edge of it, unlike in Kraznet`s video. Any ideas why?

So yeah Samp has quite a lot of quirks, especially from operational point of view, but at the same time it invites me to explore, and keeps surprising me with clever implementation of functions...

I am having the same midi problem,. MIDI OVERLOAD TOO MUCH MIDI JOBS!,,, I am trying to playback a midi file to my Yamaha motif xf keyboard to record a sound wav into samplitude, unfortunately I cant do this with SAM,. for some reason. before I move to SAM I was working with Sonar and doing this was not an issue,. for example I want to record midi with my keyboard , it doesnt work . how do I fix this guys????

Thanks in Advance !!!

Im using usb btw to connect the keyboard to midi, I tried to change with midi cables and the problem is solved, but how can I still connect with usb without any error?/

ok. so , i am just back home and reading posts and realizing that most of my issues are interface issues. most are solvable, the customization is top notch. but there are one or two oddities i cannot solve in spite of looking. my main frustration is zooming in and out i hate the way every time i insert a new track it inserts it filling up the track view. it is a right-click context menu item "Maximize Track which is always ticked by default. i want my tracks to start relatively small in track height, is that possible?

one really maddening thing is i am so used to scrolling with the mouse wheel but t does not work on Sam, not on mine anyway and it drives me crazy, i have to go and click on the scroll bar... i know i can customize all this in time, but any help to get there is appreciated. I would love if you are able to lock the size of a track so it is unaffected bu the other resizing.

concerning more general topics, i would love to understand the 'WAV project aspect" as a lot of what i do is cutting up and manipulating audio, but ( sorry to repeat) i am getting nowhere fast with the 'Help'!

there are other things but i am a bit tired now..

oh, whats up with the 'Sections view' it looks really useful but i cannot get the hang of it...

one last thing for now, i am very conditioned to highlight something on the timeline and then use the bars/beats measure at the top my dragging down or up to zoom in and out. however, when i do, the selection is removed.

oh, and i think i know the answer to this but, no support for REX files?! really. that's wierd. i have a fair amount that i cannot use, but hey, into each life some rain must fall eh...

sorry if these are a bit dim -witted... that's because i am a tad..

thanks for any advice you lovely peopleswink.png

ok. so , i am just back home and reading posts and realizing that most of my issues are interface issues. most are solvable, the customization is top notch. but there are one or two oddities i cannot solve in spite of looking. my main frustration is zooming in and out i hate the way every time i insert a new track it inserts it filling up the track view. it is a right-click context menu item "Maximize Track which is always ticked by default. i want my tracks to start relatively small in track height, is that possible?

If you insert a new track it should take on the same height as the existing tracks. If maximize is ticked selecting it again should untick it.

one really maddening thing is i am so used to scrolling with the mouse wheel but t does not work on Sam, not on mine anyway and it drives me crazy, i have to go and click on the scroll bar.

Scrolling with the mouse wheel has always worked here so maybe your the settings are wrong? Press Y and check the mousewheel settings per jpeg:

zPIqzN.jpg

dragging down or up to zoom in and out. however, when i do, the selection is removed.

You need to have loop mode turned on (click Loop on the transport) in order to retain the range when dragging up or down.

Regards

Kraznet

If you insert a new track it should take on the same height as the existing tracks. If maximize is ticked selecting it again should untick it.

excellent, that is so much better now

Scrolling with the mouse wheel has always worked here so maybe your the settings are wrong? Press Y and check the mousewheel settings per jpeg:

i am getting some scroll behaviour now, but it still seems a bit tricky and not so intuitive. i'll work it out i am sure..

And do you know of any help for WAVE projects? i can't find any here

thankyou so much for your advice m

dragging down or up to zoom in and out. however, when i do, the selection is removed.

You need to have loop mode turned on (click Loop on the transport) in order to retain the range when dragging up or down.

this was a matter of sorting some preferences . i am a happy boy now.. thx

Regards

Kraznet

Glad that helped.

And do you know of any help for WAVE projects? i can't find any here

What do you need to know about Wave projects?

how to use it lol..

is it destructive editing for example.... can you do slicing.. and make samples to post onto timeline?

i have to tell you, since yesterday i have started to connect with this program and it's really boiling my potatoes right now...

also, is there a manual AT ALL that i could get, like a pdf?? the help is useless

ta

The pdf manual has been installed with the program

good lord, i stand ashamed. i can't thank you enough...

that should keep me quiet for quite some time ( although i am enjoy mr kraznet's videos)

i don't know why i didn't look before. i guess because F1 takes you to the shitty 'Help'..

peace

Hi filtersweep,

There are actually 7 manuals in the program files/magix/samplitude prox2 (or whatever version you have) directory.

This has been the case for some time, and some of them have not been updated in a while.

They are a good starting point, though samp has many "secret" functionalities that you will only find out about via this illustrious forum:)

AAFOMF

Cleaning restoration suite

CM firmware update

Effects

Hardware controller

The Manual

Tutorials