JustCurious

Best audio card for Samplitude Pro X? Any suggestions?

Hi everyone.

I am interested in buying Samplitude Pro X, but I don't know what hardware is needed.

Years ago, I used to use Samplitude 6 with a Pulsar card. I called that a digital i/0 card, but I don't know if that was the right name for it. Anyway, what kind of card is needed these days? Would you call it an audio interface card? I assume a "sound card" would have built-in sounds, which I probably don't need.

Anyway, what are the most suitable, dependable cards to consider for Samplitude?

I am running Window 7, 64 bit, on a Hewlett Packard Pavilion Elite PC HPE-372f. Here are the specs:

Computer specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02271779

Mother board: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02014355

I also have a stereo Apogee ad/da converter. It's old technology, but it should be sufficient for now.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.

I use Sonic Core (formerly Creamware, who made the Pulsar).

Also RME is a popular.

Greg

what do you want to do with it?

recording with mics, instruments, ...?

how many channels at the same time?

mathias

I originally chose Samplitude because I liked it's versatility. For example, I could mix as many tracks as my computer could handle.

The Pulsar card was overkill for me. The flexible routing was useful, but I did not take full advantage of it. There was simply no need, as Samplitude did almost everything I needed. I suppose the Pulsar's onboard SARC chips may have shared some of the processing workload, but I never verified that.

At present, I already have an adequate ad/da stereo converter. Hence, I believe I only need a high quality, very dependable card to get digital data in and out of the computer, for recording and playback. However, it should be fairly current, so that it could accommodate a higher quality multi track converter in the future, if I had access to one.

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Hi JustCurious,

That doesn`t make sense.

You said that you have apogee ad/da converter(which model?). Well this is basically your sound card. AD/DA stands for Analog>Digital/Digital-Analog, and this is basically the definition of soundcard - converting A to D on the input and D to A at the output.

However, if you want to record microphones etc.What you will need is a pre-amp( some soundcards have built in pre amps). If you want to record multiple sources at once, you will need multiple pre-amps.

The signal chain is Mic>Pre-Amp>AD>DAW>DA>Monitor amp>monitor.

Hi Xeligio.

I do have a good-quality stereo pre-amp. I also have an Apogee PSX-100 24-bit stereo AD/DA converter: http://www.apogeedigital.com/pdf/psx100_usersguide.pdf

However, the integrated sound card on my PC has only a S/PDIF optical output port, but no digital inputs. Too bad!

Thus, there is no way to get from the Apogee to the computer.

Any thoughts?

Anyway, in a nutshell, I prefer equipment that is

• High quality
  • Dependable
  • Versatile

One stereo digital input and output is probably sufficient for now.

The Sonic Core Scope products are impressive, but seem like overkill for my needs, and I was hoping to spend less. I'm referring to this:

http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=124〈=us

I guess the most basic RME card is the HDSPe AIO:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_aio.php

The HDSPe AIO would probably be sufficient. Has anyone had experience with the HDSPe AIO?

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Hey,

Ok I am with you now.Didn`t realize that there is no firewire/usb connection.

I have no experience with any of those cards you are interested. I myself have Prism Orpheus

http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/orpheus/orpheus_home.php

Sound quality is excelent, and works with Samplitude like a charm. I don`t really use digital IO so can`t advice on that.

All the best

x

@rme hdspe aio

i don't have experience with this particular card, but with other rme interfaces.

they all work great and never failed here.

rme is known for its quality and stable drivers, and they support their products for a long time.

what you are searching for, i would call digital interface.

the hdsp aio has all different formats (except madi and other special multichannel formats) and you can extend it later on with ad-converters of your choice. additionally it has a good stereo ad converter, which you can compare to your apogee and go with what sounds best for you. and the price is great :-).

on the softwareside rme interfaces in general come with a great tool called totalmix, which can help a lot with monitoring and routing of the cards inputs and outputs. and on top of that you get digicheck (download from the website), with great meteringoptions for level, stereoimage and spectrum.

as a pcie card it is bound to desktop computers (or whatever you would call the big/stationary machines ) and is not usable as portable interface with laptops for example.

if this may be a potential usecase, i would look for a portable usb interface, that gives you the digital ins and outs you need, plus some micpres and ad/da convertors in decent quality to make rcording on the road easy and fast. rme has options here too.

regarding samplitude, every quality interface with stable asio drivers should work with it.

best would be to test an interface with your machine and samplitude, to be sure.

mathias

Although as stated.... pci is going out. I have had excellent results with the M-audio Delta 1010lt with earlier versions of samplitude. Matter of fact I just got an M-audio Delta 1010 off ebay today for testing with Samplitude Pro X! Ill keep you posted on the results.