bitSync

Pro X Support for Mackie Control Protocol?

Greetings,

I'm having a look around at alternate DAWs and a particularly important requirement for me is that the DAW be extremely well integrated with a Mackie Control Protocol (MCP) control surface (I'm using the BluAudio D8Bridge MCU/XT emulator on the Mackie d8b). Can anyone here comment on personal experience using MCU/XT or equivalent with Samplitude Pro X? Thanks!

Hi there,

I can't help you with the personal experience of using an MCU/XT as I don't have one , but from reports I've heard the implementation is pretty solid in the latest update. I would suggest you download the demo and test it out and see how you get on with it . When Samplitude is open. Press Y and click on the hardware controller tab on the left . You can then configure it from there.

Regards

Kraznet

Hi Kraznet,

Thanks very much for the reply. Downloading the demo was definitely in my plan; I was just hoping to get some user feedback first.

By the way, I've looked at a number of your tutorial videos and they are awesome. Thanks for putting such a helpful resource out there.

I downloaded the Samplitude Pro X Suite demo last night and started experimenting with the Mackie Control implementation and so far I'm *really* impressed. Pro X has a massively better implementation of the Mackie Control Protocol (MCP) than what I've been struggling with in my current DAW. It simply works just as it should - how refereshing. I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the MCP implementation in Pro X as well as the rest of the features of the application. In just an evening I find I already prefer the look and feel of Pro X over my current DAW.

Well, I took the leap. I just purchased the Samplitude Pro X Suite Crossgrade. Now comes the brain retraining part...

welcome bitsysnc!!!

@Linz,

Thanks!

were you dragged here by your ears like the rest of us?

Linz

Well, in a sense, I suppose. My ears are very happy with what they've heard so far. Other strong attractions for me were tightly integrated control surface support and a degree of DAW operating stability I have not enjoyed in quite some time.

I guess I'm doing the Samplitude Pro X moonwalk a little bit. I asked my retailer to cancel the sale for the time being until I sort out a few things.

I was working with the Samplitude Pro X x64 demo version last night and was disappointed to see that there were issues with level metering on my Mackie Control Protocol (MCP) control surface. I one case, one of the channels' ladder LEDs froze pinned at the max level regardless of playback status. The only way to resolve it was to reboot Samplitude. In another case, a channel that had audio playing back going showed no signal activity on the corresponding control surface channel level ladder LED meter (although active in the GUI) while the other channels playing back audio showed the expected channel level ladder LED meter activity. I was never able to resolve that problem.

In all fairness, I suppose the problem could be shared by both Samplitude and my MCP control surface, but that control surface, when operated with a different DAW software, has its control surface channel level ladder LED meters acting exactly as they should - active when they should be and never pinned to the max without regard to signal activity, that is, behaving just like the DAW GUI channel level meters.

I think I'll use the rest of my trial period before reconsidering my decision about purchasing. If the MCP metering is broken then that will probably be a deal breaker for me. Too bad since the rest of the MCP implementation seems very solid, so far.

Also, I was surprised to find only a single VSTi in the Samplitude Pro X Suite demo (a MAGIX synth whose name escapes me). Maybe I'm just not finding the folder(s) for the other instruments?.

On 7/11/2013 at 11:23 AM, bitSync said:

I guess I'm doing the Samplitude Pro X moonwalk a little bit. I asked my retailer to cancel the sale for the time being until I sort out a few things.

I was working with the Samplitude Pro X x64 demo version last night and was disappointed to see that there were issues with level metering on my Mackie Control Protocol (MCP) control surface. I one case, one of the channels' ladder LEDs froze pinned at the max level regardless of playback status. The only way to resolve it was to reboot Samplitude. In another case, a channel that had audio playing back going showed no signal activity on the corresponding control surface channel level ladder LED meter (although active in the GUI) while the other channels playing back audio showed the expected channel level ladder LED meter activity. I was never able to resolve that problem.

In all fairness, I suppose the problem could be shared by both Samplitude and my MCP control surface, but that control surface, when operated with a different DAW software, has its control surface channel level ladder LED meters acting exactly as they should - active when they should be and never pinned to the max without regard to signal activity, that is, behaving just like the DAW GUI channel level meters.

I think I'll use the rest of my trial period before reconsidering my decision about purchasing. If the MCP metering is broken then that will probably be a deal breaker for me. Too bad since the rest of the MCP implementation seems very solid, so far.

Also, I was surprised to find only a single VSTi in the Samplitude Pro X Suite demo (a MAGIX synth whose name escapes me). Maybe I'm just not finding the folder(s) for the other instruments?.

Hey Bitsync,

Did you get your MCU issues resolved, I'm new to samplitude, and I'm having issues with my MCU, like you can't get my meters in the display to work, I have basic function, transport, track solo, mute, record, and select all work, automation and fader banks all work, everything else is dead,.. My unit works very well in other DAW's...

My desk uses the Mackie protocol and I have been very impressed with Samp's programming system. I haven't found any other DAW yet that allows so much precise programming of assignments and having spent a pretty long time crafting the settings from scratch and saving them as a preset, my desk now has far more functions than it was ever designed for with other DAWs - it was never designed for implementation with Samplitude!