Ksamp

Understanding mono and panning

Hi all,

Is there anyone that can assist me in uderstanding Samplitude's handling of mono channels? I've been reallding all over the forum and experimenting and I'm having a bit of a difficult time understanding how to use a mono channel, as it seems they don't really exist.

The situation stems from tryiong to configure a Motu 828 mkiii with Samplitude. Configuring mono inputs is fine but if I want to use any of the 8 individual outputs of the Motu to run into the mono channels on my console, I run into problems.

From the mixer outputs I can only select setero pairs i.e. 1+2, 3+4 etc.. and the roting matrix forces the channels into stereo pairs. But, if I change the channels to "mono" and keep the "mono panning" (hard left and right for 1+2 respecively) I can then get the routing matrix to allow me to assign "mono" paths out through the Motu. The odd thing though is that the channel outputs in the mixer are still forced into stereo pairs. It seems that this is an odd workaround but it functions.

What I dont get though is that if I've created mono channels I can't pan them. They are spread evenly across the stereo field. In any other DAW I can take a mono channel and send it full left or right or anything inbetween. I can get a mono effect out of Smaplitude and into my console and pan it there but if I record that channel back into Samplitude as a mono input, I will still end up with a stereo channel.

Similarly, if I record vox or bass through my console (mono) into Samplitude via a mono input it suddenly gets converted into a stereo channel. Is it only possible then to essentially work with stereo channels? (Particularly with panning as with a "mono" changing the pan just changes the effect of the panning law and, I seem to have noticed, if you centre the panning on a "mono" channel the routing matrix forces the channel back to stereo outputs.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to give.

Kind regards,

Ksamp

Go to the Track Options dialog box in Sam for the track in Sam that you want to record into. I usually right click on the black bar that contains the name of the track in the arranger. This brings up the dialog box. Select "mono (mix)" from the three choices at the bottom right-hand corner. This dialog box is where one can select audio and MIDI options, as well as where you can name tracks and route recording and playback. If you don't set the options for a new track, I believe Sam defaults to stereo tracks, which might be your problem. I hope I understood you correctly.

Hi Timn,

Thanks for replying. I'll take a look at your suggestion and see if it's what I'm looking for.

I did try a desperate stretch of a search in the manual and did see on page 87 options for mixer routing and I thought that was the answer but on second thought it looks likes it's input routing only. I had orgininall thought that this was more of a mixer issue but now I see that it's a routing configuration issue which then cascades to the mixer.

To clarify what I'm looking for is the ability to modify the output routing so that each output is a mono channel rather than a stereo pair. Such that, on an 8 channel D/A you have mono channnels 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, rather than Ch1(L/R), Ch2(L/R), Ch3(L/R), Ch4(L/R).

Thanks again though.

I think georgob is right--there are no mono outs in Sam. However, your last paragraph above indicates that at least half your problem is easily fixed by my suggestion above. I record mono inputs into Sam routinely--actually, always. Every once in a while I'll forget to select "mono(mix)" via the dialog box (my preferred way to do this), and I'll wind up with a mono IN summed to the stereo--two stacked waveforms, instead of the single form. It's still mono, of course. In the mixer it's a single channel.

I have things set up whereby I can mix eight discrete channels in mono on a Behringer mixer. These 8 channels are mono, coming out of my sound card's ADAT from the (E-mu) virtual mixer that takes the outputs from Sam's mixer. The stereo pairs are routed to a Behringer Pro 8 digital. It's 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, and I have to hard-pan the pairs in the E-mu virtual mixer, but that's fine, because I would never use that thing to mix anything. They have to be hard-panned--that splits off the ASIO pairs and makes them discrete mono signals.

But I have never used the outboard Behringer mixer to do a mix that I then might send back to Sam as a stereo mix or even eight mono processed channels or whatever. I do everything in the box at this point. I hope this makes sense . . . .

afaik there are no real mono channels in samp.

you have to work with stereo.

Georg

Anyone know if this is still the case - no way to assign a monophonic track's output to a single mono destination output, in either Samplitude Pro x or Sequoia 13?

- Richard

Don't know if this is helpful or not.

Manual page 621

(Hard to find because they spelled "to" as "->")

File menu:

Export:Mono / Stereo

Convert Stereo Wave -> 2 Mono

This function saves both the left and right channels of a stereo wave file (file.wav) separately as a mono file (file_left.wav, file_right.wav). "Stereo to 2 Mono" may also be applied to objects in the VIP. Stereo objects to be split are replaced by two mono objects that are arranged one below the other and which feature panorama settings at the object level to the left or right. 2 Mono -> Stereo Wave This combines two mono wave projects to one stereo wave project. After executing this command, a dialog opens displaying all loaded mono files.

You can load additional files with "Load file". From the opened wave projects, select the right and left files with the "^" keys. With "<->" keys you can switch channels. After clicking "Link files", specify the name of the new file to be created in the project folder.

Please note that only mono wave projects of the same word width and sample rate can be linked. The length of both projects are adapted to one another, the longer mono file sets the total length. LR Wave -> 2 Mono LR wave projects may be split into two independent mono projects using this function. LR Wave -> 1 Mono The active LR wave project is set to mono mode. In this case, the two channels are mixed together by adding the corresponding samples each at 100% and then splitting the sum in two in order to avoid overmodulation. This corresponds to sinking the level by 6 dB. 2 Mono -> LR Wave This creates an LR wave project with two channels from two mono wave projects, in which case one mono wave project in panorama view is positioned to the left, and the other one to the right. Select both mono files with consecutive mouse clicks.

In the following dialog you can decide to "Link". "Convert to stereo" creates a stereo wave file. 622 FILE MENU 1 Mono -> LR Wave In this case, LR wave project with two identical channels is created from a mono wave project. The original sample is duplicated here.