Sign in to follow this  
resistorman

De verb!

The SPL De-Verb plugin is on sale at Plugin Alliance, I bought it and it works surprisingly well. Using it on an archival project where there's a lot of hall sound during lectures and panel discussions.

I've got it but haven't tried it yet. I'm pleased you like it though. Also, try running another version of the track in parallel with an expander on it and blend to taste.

AM Pulse should do the same thing. DeVerb is simply the 'release' half of the Transient Designer.

Can you then use Transient Designer to de-verb by just using the Sustain knob (never tried it).....or is there more to the algorithm for De Verb?

I have TD....but I was just getting ready to pick up the new Brainworx Refinement plug. which is on sale at Audio Delux....so I figured I would also grab De-Verb at the same time, but if Transient Designer can do the same thing....might asd well save $30.

I may be assuming that to some degree. I am just figuring a half price plugin with half the functions dies not result from fresh R&D....I could be way off.

Well, ashamed to admit I never thought about using AM pulse for this... normally I tried using a gate, usually not all that successfully, especially with varied inputs like a discussion panel. All I know is that I paid 25 bucks, it has a knob for amount, you turn it up until it sounds weird, back it off, and there you go. The other indispensable plugin I've used lately is the Samplitude fft filter. That is one powerful EQ when you have resonances in the recording.

Maybe in theory, however, in practice, the plugins dedicated to this function ( "DeVerberate" & "Unveil") operate far more effectively.

Cheers,

Bob.

AM Pulse should do the same thing. DeVerb is simply the 'release' half of the Transient Designer.

Interesting choice of activation methods including storing the license on an ordinary USB stick!

Unlike what most of us are used to, ACTIVATION is quite flexible. THE MANUAL is clear, concise and shows a good understanding of the needs of professionals.

The other indispensable plugin I've used lately is the Samplitude fft filter. That is one powerful EQ when you have resonances in the recording.

I'll second that! We've had a couple of guest speakers at our church whose voices/deliveries reacted unfavorably with our sound system and building acoustics. It was a bit difficult zeroing in on the right frequencies, but once I found them and saved presets, the filter on an object cleaned it up real nicely.

FWIW, I bought DeVerb on sale--I'd tried the demo once before and it didn't do all that well with the particular problem I was having at that time, but it did take care of some other issues I tried it on, so the sale price was well worth it I think. I don't have much control over the presenters, room acoustics, or PA setup so much of my work is clean-up in the editing. I'm delighted when a new tool comes along that eases that chore.

I just downloaded and tested the demo on some echoey narration. Very nice! It managed to remove the room tone without sounding like a gate. Pretty impressive ... good tool to add to the toolkit. Thanks for the recommendation, Resistorman!

Walt

After a little more analysis I've decided to pass on this one. Like so many single-purpose plugins with well-chosen presets it seems impressive at first -- like it might be an easy solution to a specific problem. But in this case I find the attack a little too tight (maybe no look-ahead?) so the clarity of speech suffers as a result. I'm finding I can get the same de-verbing results with a good gate without as much sacrifice of clarity.

Walt

After a little more analysis I've decided to pass on this one. Like so many single-purpose plugins with well-chosen presets it seems impressive at first -- like it might be an easy solution to a specific problem. But in this case I find the attack a little too tight (maybe no look-ahead?) so the clarity of speech suffers as a result. I'm finding I can get the same de-verbing results with a good gate without as much sacrifice of clarity.

Walt

Interesting.... I haven't had that issue. The attacks seem fine, with no loss of clarity. I've been using it on a number of things... today it was a live recording. The guitar amp had the reverb cranked... a sea of mud. It cleaned up very well, and I didn't notice any loss of attack detail.

I'll bet it works fine with instruments or vocals that will be mixed with other tracks. With raw narration there's nothing to cover up the artifacts. In the couple of instances I tried the artifacts were unfortunately more distracting than the room tone. sad.png

Walt

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this