irvin

Plugin Restraint Policy - what's yours?

With the deluge of free and commercial plugins, i made a decision several years ago that I would not have more than 5 plugins of the same 'category' (loosely defined as 'compressors', 'delays', 'eqs', 'channel strips', 'limiters', 'gates', 'stereo fx', 'amp sims', 'reverbs', 'utilities', 'vocal fx', etc.)

I don't have 5 of every category - for example, I only have two gates.

Luckily, I have been able to keep to this self-imposed limit by carefully choosing plugins that score well in my favorite fields: sound, ease of use, features, price.

So, what's yor criteria for selecting your plugins? how many do you have? Which ones are your favorites?

Let's go full gearslutz here...the forum needs some life....

Unfortunately I've never found many universally great plug-ins. One can sound fantastic on one thing and not very good at all on another.

Very true - that's why most people have several of each. That said, there are some that are truly outstanding if given the time: PhoenixVerb, SonEQ Pro, B2, etc. come to mind.

I love the Hofa IQ EQ, most of the UAD stuff (especially the re-issues, Plates, SSL and Lexicon) as well as the PSP Vintage Warmer. Most of these find their way in almost every mix. There's also a few Waves plugins I use regularly such as H-Delay, Doubler, RBass, CLA and API. MAGIX definitely am-munition a lot, am-pulse sometimes.

I wish Metric Halo Channelstrip was available for PC...great clean sounding plugin

Hofa's reverb is pretty good (don't have it - but saw it in action at a friend's studio). The widely praised Valhalla plugins, on other hand, have never felt right to me - they sound absolutely pedestrian, but it's probably a matter of taste.

Haven't heard the Hofa reverberated but heard it is good. The few times I heard Valhalla I liked it. You're right, probably taste. Cyanide 2 for distortion. Oh and Vandal on bass a lot.

So, what's yor criteria for selecting your plugins? how many do you have? Which ones are your favorites?

#1 is the rule of thumb that 95% of everything is rubbish sad.png

#2 is that plugins should be good for fixing something or wrecking something wink.png

#3 is avoiding plugins that achieve both things in #2 at the same time smile.png

#1 is the rule of thumb that 95% of everything is rubbish :(

#2 is that plugins should be good for fixing something or wrecking something ;)

#3 is avoiding plugins that achieve both things in #2 at the same time :)

Most plugins basically do what they are supposed to do. Problems begin when they are used as magical potions to fix bad recordings - why would a track need 32 bands of EQ? Why should a compressor be asked to do distortion-less 17db gain reduction on 0.3ms attack? Why should anyone expect transparency on a master limiter asked to tame 9db peaks after 12db gain to obtain -7db rms?

A good recording needs very little in terms of plugins. Asking a plugin to do dramatic changes to a track is usually a clear sign of a bad recording or performance. A clean signal from a good musician is 95% of the work...

When I had an operational commercial place, I found (my experiences only) having a couple of good plugs to cover what hardware didn't cover was all I needed. Plugs tend to make everything sound the same somehow, whereas hardware seems to accentuate the detailed differences in signal chains. This is why (my preferences and experiences - of course everyone has a different reference point) an even modestly equipped hardware based operation somehow seems to have a (to my preference) 'better' sound than a place that has every plug in known to mankind....

How many digital variations/emulations of an 1176 or a Roland Space Echo can there be, and how much difference can there be, while still sounding 'like' the original?

How many digital variations/emulations of an 1176 or a Roland Space Echo can there be, and how much difference can there be, while still sounding 'like' the original?

The emulation scam has worked like a charm because a lot of people think that the secret to the Beatles' success was the console used...lol..

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.