Sign in to follow this  
spamer68

Midi Editor: filtering and moving to events

Hi, I'm using the latest build of Samplitude ProX2. In the Midi Editor, "left/right" arrows are supposed to move to the next and previous event. However, these keys only move to notes and they skip over any midi CC etc. I'm a visually impaired user and want to be able to move to any event with the keys, so edits can be made. Also, is there a way to filter specific data and what you're working with? In the Event List, the 4 available options don't seem to make any difference when enabled here, but I am only testing with note on and controller Ch messages, these 4 options are all set to "=". Just need to try and understand how all of this works, as the Sam help is explained in a very visual way, but the keyboard support is amazing...so it's difficult to get a handle on. Any help or step by step instructions would be much appreciated, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Event nudge left/right is slightly misleading. It fact only moves midi notes/velocity and not controller data as far as I can tell. the only way to move midi notes along with controller data is to select the notes first - Make sure you go to "Options > Select Midi Controller data with Notes" and tick that or click the Icon. Then open the event editor and grab the value in the first column and move the mouse to change to midi/CC data position. That seems to be the only way to do it. I will mention it to SamDev as to why you can't move controller data along with MIDI notes using keyboard shortcuts. Hope that helps. Sorry the title of the Gif is wrong .

T5iarD.gif

Regards

Kraznet

Hi Kraznet and thanks for the reply and info. To be clear, I wasn't meaning the nudge event left or right feature, but simply move to next/previous event. In the Midi Editor, alt+P toggles audible playing of notes as you left or right arrow and this selects the event, making it available for editing. This method skips over CC for example, so the only way to edit the CC would be to select it in the event list with a mouse click.

To give you mor info, myself and a friend have been working on an access solution for Sam ProX2 for the past 4 months via specific screenreader script and we have made great strides forward. The problems arise from getting the necessary information to how things work and what is and isn't possible, so we can build the design around that. Tech support is hit and miss and many times I'm not getting a reply. Pro X2 is amazing with it's VIP built in support, but it does need a lot of additional scripting. So, to my point, I'm trying to find out if the current behaviour is correct or if it is possible to move to a "non note off/off" message with the arrow keys. BTW, your tutorial vids are excellent and some of the best, direct I've come across, however, it's frustratingly difficult to translate some actions you do when you can't see what's going on on screen. You are absolutely the guy who knows his stuff about Sam, if you would consider any off board or direct contact in order to offer any advice/knowledge for this very big project for the blind and visually impaired cummunity, it would be really really appreciated, but, of course understood if not (e-mail, steve@vipaudioaccess.com). Support from the tech guys is sometimes as frustrating, simply because they have an amazing product that make some other DAWs look like babies. THX Steve

Hi Steve,

I'd be more than willing to help your project . I understand the problems with visual impairment as my late Father who passed this March suffered from Macular Degeneration so I had first hand experience of the problems involved as I was his carer for 5 years. I'm a little busy of the next few days but I will email you later to touch base and hopefully we can work something out.

Regards

Kraznet

Hi kraznet and thanks so much. Sorry about your dad, you're absolutely right, it's a disability that can isolate and frustrate immensely, hence why empowering my community to have equal access is so important. I look forward to hearing and speaking to you soon, best steve.

Is there any update on this? Can I select midi controller data in the midi editor and move/nudge without moving notes? I find this to be an essential function.

Thanks!