Sign in to follow this  
Queller

Independence midi

Two questions:

The "Program Change - On/Off" in the layer midi settings don't work at all, at least not when I have a vst-instrument loaded.

Is it a bug, or have I missed something?

Is it possible for layer to pass midi to another (ex. play a midi track located in one layer and send the midi to another)?

I have tried with virtual_midi-ports, but it seems that the layers don't send any midi at all...

/Björn

To the dev's:

Pls put some efforts in the Independence_Live app, it could be a really good tool for live performances if we had:

a better midi frontend (per project routing/midi filters/splits, midifileplayer etc), a more up to date vst implementation in Independence (=showing the plugin's own presets), up/down buttons in the custom controls (allowing pg-chg), latch/unlatch mode for the current buttons (for real on/off tasks) and possible a front end mixer (linked to Independence internal).

Unfortunately my last attempts at loading VSTi instruments failed because once I pointed Independence to the VSTi follder everything just hung for ever so I gave up. I guess I could try pointing it to a single instrument rather than the complete VSTi folder and see if that works.

With regard to putting some effort into Independence I am pretty disappointed after several years of the lack of integration within Samplitude. Many DAW's have their own built-in samplers nowadays and it's pretty easy to send audio directly to them for looping or mapping. Independence seems to have remained ex-communicated from Samplitude and acts as though it doesn't exist.

Although Independence is quite an old behemoth with lots of legacy code and probably doesn't lend itself to being modified in such a way. So probably the way forward would be to create new simpler sampler which talks to Samplitude and allows you to send audio recorded in Samplitude directly to the sampler for mapping or slicing or whatever.

Thanks for the reply Kraznet,

I don't use that many VSTi's, only five or six different instruments (a couple of great cheapos from GSI, Arturia Mini (limited giveaway version), ZynAddZubFx (an ugly looking gem from the Linux world), a free Mellotron + ARP pro soloist) and only the Piano Library from Independence, that's all (you can take a wild guess which music department I belong to smile.png ). But all of them loads into a Indy-layer and works almost as they should, apart from the absent presets for some of them (not the case in any other hosts) and pgm-change filter not working.

It wasn't so long ago Magix bought YellowTools, 2012 I think. But not much have happened to Independence since v2 (2009).

Maybe Magix were most interested in it as an under the hood engine to all the sample-based instruments (Vita/Engine/...)

I think Magix is acting very strange, Independence was a big factor in the marketing for ProX_suites, and now three years later...nothing!

you can't even find anything other than a "Everyday is Independence day"-ad buried on the new Samplitude site. Indy looked so promising on the old website sad.png

I bought the vst version of Independence partly for use with other apps but primarily for live use, as it also included Independence_Live:

YellowToolsIndependencePro_02.jpg?T9KkRk

A great app, begging for some updates....

/Björn.