Coxy

Ares of flight - Melodic trance

Background:

For the first time I produced the bulk of the song completely in mono, this for me was a revelation, absolutely. It made mixdown swift and easy, keeping the bulk of it mono and allowing stereo only on the focus elements, it also made adding effects and ear candy effortless and results sounded better with more clarity and less smearing.

The track so far has taken me about 6 hours over 2 days.
TO DO list:
Minor adjustment of levels in break down
Smooth out the outro so ends less abruptly.
From now on I will only produce in mono and save stereo as a creative process at mixdown stage and beyond.
Let me know what you think overall.
Cheers

It does sound good, indeed! Very spacious! Certainly does not sound "mono" as I think of it anywhere.

Coxy, could you clarify what you mean by "produced the bulk of the song completely in mono"? Do you mean you started with all mono synth tracks panned to center and panned some things at the end toward left and right during mixdown? Did you add "ear candy" tracks as stereo ones to incorporate effects built-in to the VSTi? Are you using some stereo-spread technique on your mono tracks?

Curious mind wants to know! :-)

Terry

It does sound good, indeed! Very spacious! Certainly does not sound "mono" as I think of it anywhere.

Coxy, could you clarify what you mean by "produced the bulk of the song completely in mono"? Do you mean you started with all mono synth tracks panned to center and panned some things at the end toward left and right during mixdown? Did you add "ear candy" tracks as stereo ones to incorporate effects built-in to the VSTi? Are you using some stereo-spread technique on your mono tracks?

Curious mind wants to know! :-)

Terry

Hello Terry,

My terminology is probably wrong from a technical or traditional standpoint but what I mean is all tracks have been set to mono on samplitudes track mixer, dead center straight down the middle (right click pan button and move dial for stereo to the left or click MONO) this limits the synths stereo spread & width and L/R panning tricks which most synths and presets make heavy use of especially when you add the synths FX like delay etc.

I produced the whole track like that, layering and such then at mixdown allowing some aspects to pan out and make more use of the stereo field, yes some M/S processing for some tracks but also some L/R ping pong delay (Ecox) as well as Veriverb with width set to 100%

All the while keeping some tracks dead center.

At mixdown, panning and stereo spread becomes creative rather than technical and allows a really nice contrast between dead center elements, stereo elements and dead center elements with stereo type effects (like the variverb with 100% width)

Coxy,

Lovely sounding approach! I am going to do my next track following those ideas. It sounds like a winner.

Thanks for the clarification! :-)

Terry