Mixing Down? Bounce? for an Analog Brain

Hi-

Okay, here's one that I'm actually embarrassed to ask but

coming from an Analog/Partial Digital world, I must admit I'm

a tad confused.

I've been studying Samplitude and marvelling over all the

things it can do etc. and actually getting quite comfortable

with everything, but now, it's time to mix some tracks down

to 2 tracks and am not quite sure how best to proceed.

I mistakenly "thought" I'd simply mix-down (old term, sorry)

to say Sound Forge Pro 11 but quickly found out that if Samplitude

is open, Sound Forge will not connect with my interface. (It's now, a Roland Octacapture)

If I close Samp, and open Sound Forge, the Octacapure is there immediately)

Either I've routed or connected things improperly, or that's not the

way things are done in DAW-land? Again, please forgive my Noobieness.

From reading, I of course could painstakingly go from track to track

and say ride volume gain or whatever on each track, via automation etc. etc. and then simply

export the VIP as a .wav, once all tracks are set-up but that seems a tad cumbersome to me, especially

for easier projects. I guess I'm looking for the option of real-time mixing of sorts.

I also wonder if what's done, is to create a sub-mix buss and record to there,

while doing real time, say a volume fader on a track, or, for that

matter by using an external controller's fader.

AGAIN, not sure what's the norm and no one seems to mention this

elementary procedure, in any sites online. I also scanned Kraznet's videos

but couldn't find an answer to this rudimentary task.

When you've spent 25+ years at a mixing console recording into things

like an mx2424, all of these DAW related procedures seem foreign.

I don't mind learning whatsoever but just need to learn the RIGHT way

of doing things. :)

If anyone could lend a hand with this seemingly simple question, I would indeed

be MOST grateful and I thank you in advance.

Bob

OKAY.....I'm an idiot, dolt, slacker! I admit it but at least

perhaps I can help some other old analog hog like myself who's new to all of this. '-)

For any ANALOG-world newbees to DAW, who happen to see this post,

it's VERY important to read the chapter entitled:

MASTER SELECTION on page 219 of the manual. On the next page, you'll see a title called

MIX TO FILE WHILE RECORDING

If you're like me, you were probably looking for words like Mixdown, Mixing Down

which of course shows your age. Allow me to save you the embarrassment I've now endured.

The equivalent of the old way of mixing down to 2 tracks say to tape or

something like Sound Forge is simply MIX TO FILE. Duh, why didn't I think of that?

Open your Mixer screen (M) and look at the Master Strip at the bottom right thereof.

You'll see MIX TO FILE and to the right is an ON button. Click the MIX TO FILE

button and a pop-up window appears to enable you to save and name your eventual mix

as a .wav file wherever you'd like.

THEN....as Kraznet would say.......tick......the ON button that's just to the right

of Mix to File. It will light up.

NOW.....when you merely hit Play you're doing a "mix" and can move any fader

or knob as you'd like, just as if you were mixing down to Sound Forge or hell, how

about a Revox? How far back do ya wanna go? :)

Hit stop when you're done and "tick" the On button off right then so you don't keep

making .wav mixes everytime you hit the play button.

You can then go to wherever you saved your .wav file (via the Mix to File button at the

start) and hear the result.

I'm still trying to figure out how to play it with windows media player while the project's

still loaded in Samp but it seems it won't allow me to because of the "file being used by other software"

nuance. I'll get it eventually.

I hope this will help an old analog guy or girl like myself.

You just have to get used to some of the word variations and jargon

and then other things will fall into place. FINDING them is the trick.

- b

That manual is definitely your greatest friend!

I remember sitting there at the mixing board playing back from Samplitude after editing the file back in the 90's and making little tweaks in the mixer as I played Samplitude into my tape machine in real time. Joyous fun! (Well, I enjoyed it anyway...)

When you get a handle on automation and how easy it is to record the simple stuff and tweak that, you'll likely switch to doing it that way and using the bounce features to produce 2-track mixes. Meanwhile, this more tactile and engaging method of using Mix to File will certainly suffice! You can do both - switching on some automation recording as you mix to file, I suppose, and capture a repeatable event.

Terry

Hi Terry-

It's just the jargon used in a few areas that can be perplexing to a DAW neophyte like myself.

I for years had been using a DA7 desk and an MX2424 with it's ancient software, MX-View,

but managed to create some marvelous things with the combination for years.

In need of space, I wanted to lose the board but I had SO MANY projects saved to DVD-RAM

in the MX2424, I thought I'd be strapped to a desk forever. I then learned I could export projects

as Broadcast Wav files, along with their time-stamps, that a DAW would in turn accept and align identically.

That lead to auditioning a zillion DAWs until settling on Samplitude.

YES....I see about bouncing to sub-mix bus's and that will probably be the way I'll go as I progress.

I'm also getting used to automation on various tracks etc. However for simple "ads" that I do a lot,

I sometimes just have to ride gain on say some music here and there or an effect which I could do

in one pass fast.

Like everything else, once you get past the "curve" it all falls into place. Heck, I remember when

I first bought that DA7 & Mx2424, I thought my brain would synapse into oblivion but soon it became child's play.

Yes, if we think back to "the day", there are indeed some fond memories to be found in this world.

Tell me if you'd be so kind, after creating a sub-mix bus, all I would do then is EXPORT those two tracks? Yes?

I read through the process once and I believe Kraznet has a video of same about creating them.

Thanks!

Bob

I sometimes just have to ride gain on say some music here and there or an effect which I could do

in one pass fast.

There is nothing quite as good as doing the Mix to File and getting it done in one pass! :-)

Tell me if you'd be so kind, after creating a sub-mix bus, all I would do then is EXPORT those two tracks? Yes?

Yes, you export in any of the zillion formats available.

Terry

there are at least 3 ways in samplitude to accomplish the task you are describing (mixing down two a stereo file).

that really can be confusing on top of what you were already describing here :)

some of these options are doing basically the same thing, accompanied by some more special options, that may be explored piece by piece.

1) "mix to file"

this one is actually a great option to start with, as it is so simple and straightforward. it just records the output of the masterbus into a file. the closest to analog i'd say.

2) "export"

this one gives you many different file formats to export to and also the ability to use cd-markers from the project, to split the export into single files (or one continous with markers inserted). you can set trackmarkers (file startingpoint), pause markers (file will stop there, next file starts at the next track-index) and cd-end markers (the whole export process stops there).

3) "bounce"

this is more specifically linked to tracks, selected regions, etc. inside your project. the corresponding bounce dialog gives you a lot of options, that want to be explored and tested. there are also options for fileformats, like with export.

take your time to check all the options and do some experiments, to get a grip on it.

when you have your masterfile ready, you can open it with samplitude directly.

samplitude is also a very powerful wave-editor, which gets overlooked sometimes.

Excellent summary, mathias!

I love the export features using the CD markers to chop a long recording containing many songs into individual files.

Terry

Spot on Mathias and yes, I'll be practicing on all.

The export I'm familiar with but was just looking

to do some easy, real-time moves without automation.

Old habits die hard. :)

Thanks for reminding as well about Samp's wave editor. (duh)

Ok, back to work........

THANKS GENTS!