BHP

2 MIC LEVELS appearing on track

Hi

Okay, I'll try to explain this the best I can.

1 Have Samplitude ProX3 Suite

2 Using Roland Octacapture Interface

3 Have (2) voiceover mics on either side of desk I pull in as needed. (Plugged into Inputs 1 & 2 respectively)

4 Using Hardware Monitoring/Hybrid Engine Usually or Mixer/FX Montioring Hybrid Engine.

Now,

On the Roland's software screen, in the input mixer, I'll mute either of the mics when using the other.

I can record with either "live" one that way just fine.

HOWEVER...

When I arm a track to record, I can tap either mic and see the level meter rise, even though one of the mic's is muted.

I don't HEAR the tap on the offline mic nor does it record, but I SEE the armed track's meter jump.

I suppose I could live with this nuance since no sound is coming out of the muted mic but it's kind

of strange trying to set a level.

For instance, I start talking into the LIVE mic and see the level on the meter

but the meter level is ALSO being affected by the muted mic that's picking up my voice

from a couple feet away.

I explained this strange nuance to a Roland Tech and he said it has nothing to do with their unit (imagine that)

and that I should check with my DAW people. Hoping Mathias might be able to chime in on this?

I may need to provide more details if I haven't provided enough and gladly will if so needed to discern.

Again, I can record just fine with either UNMUTED mic but the other still sends the ambient, off-mic signal to the meter.

I could have something connected or set-up improperly but I don't think so.

Hoping someone might have an idea or suggestion,

which would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks, Bob

You want to bring in the interface not as left/right but as two mono inputs. Then this doesn't pose an issue. This is most easily seen in the Mixer at the very top - you click the input and select "Mono Inputs" and then you will see a separate input for each channel will appear in the same drop-down list.

This also appears in the "Audio" section of the Track Editor section to the left of the tracks in the sequence editor.

Samplitude Stereo Inputs Selected

Samplitude%20Stereo%20Inputs%20Selected.

Samplitude Separate Mono Inputs Selected

Samplitude%20Separate%20Mono%20Inputs%20

I hope that helps.

Terry

Here is the same dropdown selector from the Track Editor sidebar:

Samplitude Track Editor Stereo Inputs Selected

Samplitude%20Track%20Editor%20Stereo%20I

Samplitude Track Editor Separate Mono Inputs Selected

Samplitude%20Track%20Editor%20Separate%2

I'm glad someone else responded here. I almost always record live inputs as mono tracks, although occasionally do record stereo sources: but in those cases I wouldn't be muting one of the inputs.

The one thing that confused me about Bob's description was that when he muted the channel in the Roland software he not only didn't hear the channel but that it also didn't record.

In my limited experience with all of the audio interfaces I've had the interface's "mixer application" only controls the signal to the interface's monitor (or selected) audio output, and doesn't affect the raw channel input to Samplitude, or any other audio software. So if using hardware monitoring (which I usually do), if you mute a single channel (say input1) in the interface's mixer, you don't hear it, but it shows on the Samp track input meter, and if the track is armed, records as well.

I'm ascribing the difference to the Roland interface software, which I have no way to verify or disprove. But if the interface is indeed actually muting the input, then I've no explanation for why the track meter indicates a signal for that input.

are you sure bob, the second mic isn't recorded also?

normally these interface mixers are for monitoring only, as tlwebb is describing. so you don't hear the muted mic in your headphones.

and the raw signal (only influenced in gain by the hardware preamp setting) is sent directly to the daw.

when you have set your record input on the track to stereo (or mix mono! which means input 1 and 2 get summed together) you get both channels into samplitude all the time, regardless of your roland interface mixer.

check the recordinput setting on the track first, like terry is describing so nicely with his pictures.

Gentlemen:

Thank you all for the fast and enlightened input!

I can see right now

I owe a debt of gratitude to you all and to this forum. Once I get up to speed with

most aspects of this software, I will in-turn try to help subsequent new comers to the game.

(At least with the easy stuff) '-)

Terry, thanks for taking the time to demonstrate via screen shots.

Although familiar with that tab on the mixer, it always helps to see, and in this case,

I saw the error of my ways!

Prior to this interface, I first tired a Motu Ultralite Mk4 but it had some oddities (and issues) even a

Sweetwater tech had to ask Motu about.

I ended up exchanging that but now discover that I guess during a "team view" with the tech, when trying

to uncover the reason for a subtle but nasty slapback echo, Mono Mix In had been set on each

strip that I had set for mics in a template.

WITH THAT SAID...an "a-HA" moment was achieved thanks to your MONO IN suggestion!

Yes Mathias/TLwebb, I guess the other mic was indeed LIVE as well. I couldn't hear it

since as Mathias indicated interface software is primarily for MONITORING which cleared

up a lot of my confusion. Bottom line...when I switched each track to MONO in 1, then 2 respectfully

for the mics, the problem was solved. Again, I thank you all!

So, when I recently recorded a VO for a video I'm producing, I was indeed recording ambient sound as

well!!! I recall listening back at one point and thinking, "That's the take but hmmmmm, not too thrilled with this pre-amp." (DUH)

Thank goodness, I recorded using the condenser and not the dynamic mic AND that the dynamic was pointed toward some Sonex at

the time. STILL....there was indeed "something" I had heard but since it was a great take I just ended up E.Q.ing out in the mix.

Music plays continuously throughout the piece which helps as well.

WHEW....now it's coming together far better thanks to your collective help and again thank you gents!

My next quest is to figure out how to RECORD computer sound from say something on a website.

I often have to record little bits from TV news channels from newscasts. I'll read up on that because

first attempts aren't working.

ANYWAY....thank you!

Bob

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I am told I am a bit wordy, however, so likely a picture is worth more like 10 thousand words in my case.

There are several methods to convert the computer's audio into ASIO for recording. I've used Virtual Audio Cable (VAC), and the VB-Audio products, including Voicemeeter Pro "Banana" which is tremendous but likely overkill for merely capturing occasional events.

Still, Voicemeeter has so many benefits I keep it installed and ready for these types of tasks. It appears as an ASIO input to Samplitude. The Pro "Banana" version also sports its own recorder! (Video below on using that.)

I have several videos on using it in this playlist.

Terry

Thanks Terry

I fear that'll be another day to try and figure out how

to set up with Samplitude. You say appears as an ASIO

input, so I assume in recording setup, I bypass my Octacapture

completely. Actually would have to unless unplugging mics.

Way too far over my head at this time. Back to studying. :)

I do appreciate your input, if you will, on that.

- b

Say, does your Windows Audio Control Panel show "Stereo Mix" in the Recording Devices section? If you, you can enable that and use the free "Audacity" recorder to grab those soundbites. Then EXPORT those as WAV files and import those into a Samplitude track.

Below is a video I did showing how to use it for the CamStudio screen recording app, but the same principle works to make it an available input for Audacity.

Terry

Terry

No, doesn't show stereo mix.

However when looking at recording devices

I see LINE ONE Virtual Audio Cable.

As mentioned, I had downloaded the trial

version to see if I could orchestrate it.

Didn't download Audacity however, I do have a little program by AVS4You

called AVS Audio editor that DID indeed see the Line One VAC.

This is after I had set the Window's recording default to

Line One In VAC. I was able to record something streaming

from YouTube.

Not sure what do with "Line One VAC" though

in regards to Samplitude.

In and out today so if I don't post a response

right away, that's why.

Thanks for taking the time, Bob

ASIO4ALL is also very good for getting things into ASIO streams.

You should be able to select Line One VAC as an output device (default Playback Device) and then use it as an input to either Audacity or perhaps to Samplitude in WDM or MME mode.

Hit "Y" in Samplitude and change the Audio Setup dropdown to WDM or MME and see if it is there. If so, you'll be able to port your Windows audio streams into Samplitude directly. (This bypasses your interface, of course.)

Terry

Terry-

Yes, that did the trick going into Samplitude

using Line One VAC.

Of course I couldn't hear anything since

bypassing the interface but the signal was

strong and clear.

Forgot about AISO4ALL. Will try that too

before buying Line One.

As always, thank you for your kind assistance!

Best regards, Bob

great to hear, that the combined effort of us three "helpers" here cleared things for you bob.

the thing that "mono mix" could be the issue, popped up in my head while writing my response AND having seen terrys screenshots.

so this was real community-team-work :)

Indeed Mathias and I will indeed to contribute

to noobies once I get up to speed. (Especially

old-new-bees who are coming from the same

world as of I. :)

Thanks again to all!

Bob