Cooltrash

Independence - How to load VSTi and VST ?

Hi

Trying without success, to load VSTi or VST in Independence. I have all the latest install. I'm on win10. Sam pro x3 suite.

So far I tried to put a Shortcut of my VSTfolder :

Documents - Magix Projects - Independence

Users - me - AppData - Local - Magix - Independence

Program Files (x86) - Magix - Independence

The only thing i see in Independence - VST plugins is REFRESH

Thanks for your help!

Just found another possible place but Independence crash on startup!

C: - ProgramData - Magix - Independence

I have never been able to get that shortcut trick to work with any of my copies of Independence (I have Independence Pro and Live.) As absurd as it sounds, you need to copy wholesale the contents your entire VSTPlugins AND Steinberg\VSTPlugins folders into the folder located (in Windows 10) at C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Independence\VST Plug-Ins

That is, you do if you actually need access to every plugin you have within Independence, which I highly doubt.

I keep a select few instrument copies (and their preset folders if necessary) which blend well with sampled instruments in there.

If you place several VST's into that folder, be prepared for Independence to appear "frozen" for quite a while after you hit "refresh" from the VST Plugins menu.

Once you add a VSTi, you will not immediately see its interface as you do with many other programs. In the slot where you added the VSTi, nestled in-between the "bypass" and "midi ch", you will see a small orange box with the letter "E" that opens the edit window for that VST.

I have found certain synths do not like Independence and will not load at all. So, I would tread carefully and add one synth and its presets folder at a time.

BTW, the Manual discusses using VST instruments and effects starting on page 33, but it is dismally unclear about what I just explained.

Terry

Thanks Terry

Yeah... Page 33... is a joke... must have been done for Independence 1.2... Not clear and not right at all... Might work for Mac but not windows.

It is the path you mention

C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Independence\VST Plug-Ins

and yes better load every plugin one by one in order to find the one that is not compatible... For me all AIR Music technology plugs gives a popup box : ! audio master callback opcode: 35 is not supported during plugin initialization!

One nice thing of that VSTi integration would have been that : when a VSTi is loaded, then you still have access to the FX section but NO!

Oh well nothing is perfect in this Magix land.

17 hours ago, Cooltrash said:

Thanks Terry

Yeah... Page 33... is a joke... must have been done for Independence 1.2... Not clear and not right at all... Might work for Mac but not windows.

It is the path you mention

C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Independence\VST Plug-Ins

and yes better load every plugin one by one in order to find the one that is not compatible... For me all AIR Music technology plugs gives a popup box : ! audio master callback opcode: 35 is not supported during plugin initialization!

I have the latest 64-bit versions of all the AIR plugins working at the moment. Initially I had the same error message when I put Hybrid in there, but later noticed it was an older version. The versions of the VSTi's that came with the AIPC collection are all working, including Hybrid. I hope you get them all working, as they are all very good! (Try putting them all into an "AIR Synths" folder - perhaps that was the magic that happened....)

One thing that amazed me was that -- although my Arturia ones would not load [EDIT - the latest versions load if I put them into a folder in there, but it takes a while for the initial scan to complete -- save work before selecting a different synth in the same slot, though, as I got a crash once. Better to remove the slot and make a new one, probably] -- I have a Native Instruments S-88 and its "Komplete Kontrol" VST does work inside of Independence, and it loads all the NI and Arturia instruments fine from there!

I agree it would be nice to have access to the effects. [EDIT - it turns out we do, see below!]  I also have the Maschine 2.5 VST that came with my Maschine Jam and it likely will let me layer effects along with the plugins as it works very similarly to Komplete Kontrol, but has more routing and effects options.

I did copy my reverbs to my Independence VST Plug-ins folder to use with the other samples -- I think the impulse response reverb that comes with Independence is spectacular (Origami), but I have several other high-class reverbs I like to employ. But yes - a shame I cannot use them with VST's -- however, that's what I have Samplitude for!! :-)   [EDIT - SEE BELOW!!!]

Terry

16 hours ago, Cooltrash said:

One nice thing of that VSTi integration would have been that : when a VSTi is loaded, then you still have access to the FX section but NO!

Hold on there! We CAN use VST effects and built-in effects with a VSTi -- go to the Mixer section (button between "Browser" and "Preferences") , click at the top of the channel on the word "insert" and a panel appears where you can select effects to layer for that output -- you can even do it to a bus instead if you like! In the summary/view window at the top of the mixer section, it shows a small "fx" signal to let you know which channels have effects assigned as well.

I'm happy now.

Terry

Hey

I just tried the VSTi with VST'S in Independence Mixer... It's working... Great to Know!

I don'T see a way to save those nice combination as a Preset, Patch or Instrument. The VST's in the mixer don't get saved with the VSTi Patch. Wait!!!  But probably save as project !!! Have'nt tried. 

But the other option is working perfectly... Independence-sampler with VST FX... everything get saved in the patch... VST preset included.  

Some nice experimentation is coming !

Instead of copying plugins (and acknowledging that shortcut's don't work), have you tried Symbolic Links of the plugin's folders that you want to be scanned by Indy?  I also use the shell extension linked below to eaily create symbolic links for other uses.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

From what I gathered- It seems that Independence will not load multy timberal / multy output VSTI. It seems to work very well with any VSTI with stereo outs. To me this sets Independence well above the rest of the crowd.