Tim Z

Some Independence Questions

I don't do a lot of midi or sampled music projects, but I do on occasion use synths, strings and brass in my recordings. I have been looking at various VST synth options, but have recently been looking at the Independence add on libraries. Some questions about them:

1) Is there no way to see the full list of instruments and/or synth patches in each library? Why is Magix being so secretive about the libraries? Are they not interested in selling them?

2) The tiny bit of samples you can listen to at the library site do sound very good; especially the brass and strings. Are they really that good, or are there other better options I could look into for around the same price?

3) I also want really good synth pads and leads, but the sound sample they offer demonstrates nothing in those areas. Does anyone know if the Synth library has lots of choices for pads and leads. For leads I am thinking of stuff like Chick Corea, Jeff Beck, Pat Metheny, 80's 90;s fusion etc. How can I see and hear the sounds in this library?

4) Any other really good full feature VST apps that would be worth looking into for under $300. Primarily for Synth, Brass and Strings

Much appreciated

Tim

Thanks Terry, but yes I knew that. I don't have Independence Pro. I have the freebee version that came with Pro X, which doesn't have very much in it that I can use. What I am asking mainly is where can I see the full list of instruments and or synths that come with the add-ons?  I do not want to purchase them only to find out that it does not have what I want. I wish there was a way to demo them first?

There used to be a full list - 32 pages long! The site that had that has closed it down, though (the old Yellowtools site was where it had been). I tried to find it but apparently I never downloaded the PDF myself, otherwise I'd upload it here.

Frankly, I'd go with Kontakt if you want industry-standards.

Terry

2 hours ago, TerryBritton said:

Frankly, I'd go with Kontakt if you want industry-standards.

Terry

Kontakt what?  They seem to make a ton of products. Anyway, from what I can see it is overkill and way too expensive for my needs. 

Hi Tim,

I made a list of all layer files in the Independence directory, so take a look.

Indepence is good for real instruments, but it doesn't offer a lot of synths, and you can't tweak it like virtual synths.

Did you take a look at the included synths in Samplitude?

For synths and pads I use Omnisphere a lot. As an allrounder I sometimes use Steinberg Halionsonic, which has a workstation approach.

Greetings

Christian

Independence Pro_layers_Independence Pro - Instruments.txt

Thanks Christian

Unfortunately that link you provided does not work for me? It asks me to save a file which I am very hesitant to do. Is it supposed to be a link to an online list?

As far as I am aware the only synths I have that came with Pro X are Independence Basic and Revolta 2. Independence is okay for a few selections (pads not synths), but I have not found Revolta to be of much use at all. Are there others I am unaware of?  I really like the u-he synths Diva and Hive, but was hoping that the Independence library might be a less expensive option. Omnisphere, while I know it is great, is just way too expensive for my limited needs and uses.

Tim,

That is a link to a text file (notice the .txt extension?) You must be very new to computers!

Kontakt comes with a default library that includes orchestral, percussive, keyboard and synth sounds. It opens the door to using hundreds of user-created and third-party instruments made for use with Kontakt.

I love Independence Pro, but my needs are definitely different from your own. (I own a ton of instruments...) I think Independence is one of the most overlooked samplers out there, but unfortunately, it WAS overlooked. Kontakt has active users and instrument creators today.

Terry

5 minutes ago, TerryBritton said:

Tim,

That is a link to a text file (notice the .txt extension?) You must be very new to computers!

Terry, saying that I must be new to computers does nothing at all to help this discussion, and can only be taken as putting someone down! If you want to put me down or make fun of me, please do it by PM or email. If it matters to you, I have been on computers since the early 80;s and I have built all of my own PC's since the late 90's. I have been using Samplitude for the past 25 years, on which I have recorded hundreds of local artists as well as 6 of my own albums.  My statement was more  about I didn't trust saving a file posted to my system and why was it not a link to an online source. This info should be posted at the Magix site about Independence. Then people like me would not have to post what some of you may consider dumb questions here. ;)

Regardless, I (reluctantly) saved the text file to my hard drive and have viewed it. It does appear that the synths are not what I would be looking for. I may just get the strings and brass and then also purchase Diva, but for the time being will continue to search for other and all alternatives. 

So is that complete list that Christian posted everything that is in the "Pro" version, does it offer more or less than the Pro version?

23 minutes ago, Tim Z said:

Terry, saying that I must be new to computers does nothing at all to help this discussion, and can only be taken as putting someone down!

It was merely an observation. Not intended as a put down. I'll stop responding to your questions as you seem to wish.

Terry

And how does that "observation" help the discussion? And now you are making assumptions about someone's wishes from a few posts here? For me it is very simple; if you post a question that I can answer, then I will answer and try to help you. If I don't have an answer, then I won't say anything.  

Unfortunately development of Independence has ground to a halt and although they do bug fixes it will never be updated and better integrated into Samplitude (unless something changes which I don't know about) which is a big shame. I had great hopes for it when MAGIX bought Yellow Tools. As it stands it's still very useful tool and I find some of the sounds of very high quality but the GUI is a bit antiquated and I never liked the font. Kontakt is definitely the "industry standard" sampler and nearly all libraries are developed for it. UVI Falcon looks very interesting although it's not cheap even with the current 40% discount their offering until the 15th it's still $244 although you get 2 free libraries and a $100 voucher. Unfortunately there is no demo for it though. https://www.uvi.net/falcon.html

Regards, Kraznet

There are more synths available, like Vita Analog Synths and DN-e1. I have these but I don't know if they came with Samplitude Pro X2 or X3 Suite, or with one of the many versions of Music Maker. Both have Leads and Pads, but they may not be what you are looking for. Attached is a listing in a Word document that I made, showing the Pads and Leads only, for these 2 synths. Screen shots of the 2 interfaces is included.

The Word file is safe; I created it myself.

John CB

SYNTHS - Pads and Leads only.docx

Thanks very much for the info guys. I guess I will give up on the Independence idea then. I may still consider just getting the Strings library for only $65 though. I will check out those other synths John. For now I think my favorite I have tried is u-he Diva. 

http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com is a repository for some  free stuff linked from the vi-control forum.  

performancesamples.com/ <-- definitely get the freebies here.. this Jasper Blunk guy is a prodigy, and made a couple super free strings packs.  I'm not sure if somebody has converted them to other formats.  Does independence do round-robins?  

You can use them (and any other non-player kontakt instrument) for 15 minute intervals with Kontakt Player.

Independence was far too complicated for me to be get too technical with it but I do Love the sounds. just picking a sound,  panning and combining instruments, having everything there to compose something in one midi track is nice.

I think it is still a very useful tool, I still use my Roland R-70 rhythm composer from time to time to program patterns and that's ..old...but  I am just so used  to it.

On 11.10.2017 at 11:08 PM, Kraznet said:

Unfortunately development of Independence has ground to a halt and although they do bug fixes it will never be updated and better integrated into Samplitude (unless something changes which I don't know about) which is a big shame. I had great hopes for it when MAGIX bought Yellow Tools. As it stands it's still very useful tool and I find some of the sounds of very high quality but the GUI is a bit antiquated and I never liked the font. Kontakt is definitely the "industry standard" sampler and nearly all libraries are developed for it. UVI Falcon looks very interesting although it's not cheap even with the current 40% discount their offering until the 15th it's still $244 although you get 2 free libraries and a $100 voucher. Unfortunately there is no demo for it though. https://www.uvi.net/falcon.html

Regards, Kraznet

Hi Kraznet,

Can the BestService Engine be used instead of the bundled Independence Pro? Will it be possible to register IPro libraries within the Engine?

39 minutes ago, Tudor said:

Hi Kraznet,

Can the BestService Engine be used instead of the bundled Independence Pro? Will it be possible to register IPro libraries within the Engine?

Best Service Engine won't work with libraries which were bought as part of the Samplitude Pro X3 Bundle. in order for Engine to work with this library you would need to buy a separate licence which would then allow Engine to work in other Samplitude and DAW's. http://www.magix.com/gb/independence/

Regards, Kraznet

My understanding is that Chicken systems translator was supposed to work with Independence - which should open up a lot of sample content. Is there no way Magix could create a program to convert files to Independence format? It would be a real selling point in my opinion to have a more or less open and resourceful sampler. I reach for Independence far more often than Kontakt whenever possible. It sounds great - mixes far better and tweaks far more easily than Kontakt.

6 hours ago, PhilM said:

Does anyone know if Magix has a special crossgrade price for Independence Pro for owners of Samplitude Pro X3?

I'd like to know that too. Probably best to contact them?  What the cheapest way for us to get access to Independence in other DAWs? I still have the YT dongle, shouldn't i be able to use Independence outside Samplitude? I'm not sure where to find info about that.

Anyway, there are good samples in there for sure but 1 thing i really like is those Cathedral impulses in Origami.

They do special sales of Independence Pro a few times a year - most notably on Independence Day here in the USA. That is when I picked my copy up last year.

Terry

I did contact Magix and they quoted a discounted price of $230.  It was still high. I mentioned to them that last year, I bought it for around $160 but "returned" it for a refund with proof of order.  It was nice of them that they would honor the price.   I went ahead and bought the license.  Now, I can't activate it...      

10 hours ago, PhilM said:

I did contact Magix and they quoted a discounted price of $230.  It was still high. I mentioned to them that last year, I bought it for around $160 but "returned" it for a refund with proof of order.  It was nice of them that they would honor the price.   I went ahead and bought the license.  Now, I can't activate it...      

Can you be more specific about why you can't activate it? 

Thanks, Kraznet

When I entered the purchased serial number in Inde Pro,  it has no effect.  It just freezes up.  The same way with Spectra Layers Pro 4.0 that came with Samplitude Pro X3 Suite that I bought last week.    Waiting to hear from Magix.    In the meantime, I reinstalled Spectral Layers and deleted a few related files in Programdata.  It didn't make any difference.