perri meracelli

record on top of an audio track

Hi I have been usingSONAR from cakewalk for almost 20 years. I am migrating, but cannot find a DAW with this feature !? .:

To record a layer, or overdub on an existing audio track, with audio in it. 

And same time be able to listen to the previous recorded audio as I record now on top . This as a VERY handy feature, and I am 

very surprised that no other DAWs have this, I sthis afeature in  one fo magix DAWs ?

From the manual...

Mix Input and Playback: If you set the check here, the input signal can also be heard 
when playback is running if track monitoring is active. 
The monitoring settings and switch behavior can be set in "System Options > Audio 
System" and can also be accessed directly by right-clicking on the "Mon" button. This 
displays two more MIDI recording options: 

I’m assuming you are referring to the monitoring behavior of the track as you record punch-ins and your track has the monitor button active.

It’s not clear from your description if you are “punching-in” your layer/overdub or intending to keep (and hear) both layers/takes after the take.  It’s also not clear if your are monitoring through the software or monitoring your hardware directly.

Each track can only play back one object at a time at any poInt in the timeline.  You can keep overdubbing in the same track and all takes will be recorded and saved.  You can select which take you want to use later with the Take Manager, the Take Composer, or by right/clicking and manually selecting which take.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for another “layer” of sound I would consider that another track.  In that case, just move your first recorded object to a different track.

ok, I see from what you write that this is probably not possible. All MIDI recording track in almost all DAW I tried , of course have this feature. . . I see this "punch in", and  a lot other is talking about. :) Yes its a punchin feature in SONAR too, but when you have record overdub, in the same track, you can overlap, where you want, and that is, of course very conveinient in many  take.-situations . Just imagine you want to dub the Powerchord, just befor the chorus, set cursor, 2 bara in front, puch record, an you hear the guitar that you already recorded . Also adding some extra leyers in backing vocal track tracks. I use it all time in vocal in guitar . NOdeen to set up an extra track, and have to deal with ever more tracks! they fill up the screeen quicky as it is .  I saw that Presonus and Adobe can overdub tracks but they can not listen to original ; meaning, when you hit "rec" the track you record on mutes, but when playback , you hear both "layers" / overlapping audio .:) I must say, I am really, really shocked !!:) I thougt, obviously in 2017, that all DAW have this feature . It helps the workflow enormously : So Gunmetal, you are sure this feature si like you describe in the  Magix Sequoia ? ok, tahanks for you time and help. I gusee theres a lot of migrating SONAR-folks out there asking for this now :) regards, I am per merakerli, from Norway .

Greetings!

Are you talking about MIDI recording?  Overdub mode in MIDI recording seems more like what you are searching for...

(from the manual)

Overdub: The data is recorded into an already existing object. The newly recorded 
MIDI data is mixed together with the data that is already present. 

It’s been a long time since I have used Sonar.  Are the overdub takes just overlayed on top of one another?  How do you get to them to edit?  With Samplitude you can record in MIDI overdub mode to build up beats in loop mode or to punch into the same object.

Perri, are you talking about layers? Like recording over content already on a track without wiping that content so the original content remains but is covered by the new content? I saw your post in the Cakewalk forum too and I am not sure anyone really knows what you mean exactly. It might help if you describe not the feature but what you aim to achieve with it.

OK, I read up on Sonars take lanes and I think I understand what you are meaning.  Every DAW has a different feature set and there’s not a direct equivalent here. 

In Samplitde, you will want to look at “exploding” your takes with the Take Composer and exploring the tools for that feature.  And you can create similar workflows by using Track Folders or just using multiple tracks.

23 minutes ago, gunmetal said:

OK, I read up on Sonars take lanes and I think I understand what you are meaning.  Every DAW has a different feature set and there’s not a direct equivalent here. 

In Samplitde, you will want to look at “exploding” your takes with the Take Composer and exploring the tools for that feature.  And you can create similar workflows by using Track Folders or just using multiple tracks.

I don't think he means take lanes or monitoring hence my previous reply. In Sonar you could record over existing content on a track and have that existing content remain under the new content on the same track. I'm guessing he might mean that.

14 minutes ago, 35mm said:

I don't think he means take lanes or monitoring hence my previous reply. In Sonar you could record over existing content on a track and have that existing content remain under the new content on the same track. I'm guessing he might mean that.

Yes I think this is called Sound on Sound in Sonar? I might add it as a feature request in the beta forum.

Sonar SOS.jpg

Regards, Kraznet

I have a feeling what the OP is talking about is indeed sound on sound but with the ability to hear the original sound as you record over the top of it. There are, I think, better ways of doing it depending on what you want to achieve. For example, just dragging a recording to a different track and playing along to it. I never really used the feature in Sonar and having sound files stuck and hidden underneath others used to annoy me.

I think the answer to the OP is probably no (unless I am mistaken), but there are plenty of other and possibly better ways of doing it.

Just now, 35mm said:

I have a feeling what the OP is talking about is indeed sound on sound but with the ability to hear the original sound as you record over the top of it. There are, I think, better ways of doing it depending on what you want to achieve. For example, just dragging a recording to a different track and playing along to it. I never really used the feature in Sonar and having sound files stuck and hidden underneath others used to annoy me.

I think the answer to the OP is probably no (unless I am mistaken), but there are plenty of other and possibly better ways of doing it.

Yes that's the way I do it I just record on another track while listening to their previous track above.

Regards, Kraznet

I will add also that as I discovered last night with help from Kraznet, Samp is basically doing something very similar, but you can not see the underlying clips. The Ctrl + right click shows them up as takes by default which is very useful. But I don't think you can hear a previous take as you record over it.

New Samplitude user here (Sonar refugee). I suspect he's looking for the behavior of a looper. I use loopers or Live to sketch out ideas. Sound on sound recording with midi behaves this way in Sonar, but not audio.

On 12/15/2017 at 6:28 AM, Kraznet said:

Yes that's the way I do it I just record on another track while listening to their previous track above.

Regards, Kraznet

As a long time SONAR user and non-keyboard player, I use the sound-on-sound record mode all the time. It's especially useful with MIDI drum tracks. I can add the kick or high hat separately if I want, or throw in a fill or crash cymbal on already-recorded drums. I have played the "left hand" and the "right hand" both with my right hand on a MIDI piano track (I'm not a proficient keyboard player). I don't end up with a mess of separate tracks to manage and when I get what I want I just bounce the track with all the SoS overdubs down to a single clip.

Kraznet, I encourage you to make this a feature request: Allow the user to add data to an already-recorded MIDI track while listening to existing data. (Although I thought I saw you do exactly that in one of your "getting started" videos when you were making a drum loop, so WTH?)

Edited by Larry Jones
clarity

Hi Larry,

Yes of course you can do "sound on sound" when recording MIDI in Samplitude. You just need to switch on "Overdub" mode from the transport. Unlike Sonar the midi will be merged with existing clip while cycle recording. I have definitely done videos about this

Midi Overdub.jpg

Regards, Kraznet

13 hours ago, Kraznet said:

Hi Larry,

Yes of course you can do "sound on sound" when recording MIDI in Samplitude. You just need to switch on "Overdub" mode from the transport. Unlike Sonar the midi will be merged with existing clip while cycle recording. I have definitely done videos about this

Regards, Kraznet

Thanks, Kraznet. I see that now. I didn't notice the original poster wanted to do this with audio, not MIDI. For my purposes this implementation is better than SONAR's, because it removes the extra step of bouncing the clips down,

Yes the implementation is better in Samplitude. The few times I tested Sonar I couldn't get my head around the fact that there was no auto merge of midi.

Regards, Kraznet

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, Kraznet said:

Yes I think this is called Sound on Sound in Sonar? I might add it as a feature request in the beta forum.

That would be very helpful if you could request this feature. It's very much part of my workflow while recording audio. I find when using this method at the recording stage, it keeps the track count down.

On 12/15/2017 at 9:15 AM, Kraznet said:

Sonar SOS.jpg

Regards, Kraznet

S

Hi Kraznet, SOS is very much a part of my workflow as well. I would definitely like to see this feature added to Samplitude.