Factor

Another Sonar Refuge

Thanks again @kraznet for all the videos, I'll definitely use your youtube channel, but so far I guess I need some "start up" tutorials to get a midi+audio multitrack project started, can you point me to any? Like starting from scratch a project?

My professional exigencies and dead lines prevent me from now to get seriously into X3Pro cause I spent like 12 hours and couldn't get anything done yet, a large waste of time trying to organize tracks and vst menus (templates?) V8 runs like a rock here though, but I just use it for CD mastering, so 2 tracks, I don't really use automation or AUX, different use really.

I'll stick to Sonar for now and try to tame Samplitude little by little in my spare time.

Sonar people: anybody compiled a thread where we could suggest to each other ways to do "usual Sonar things" in Samplitude?

Like creating track templates, organising custom vst menus, etc? Key binding? etc

That'll be great, I could start a thread with a couple of questions .

Thanks, cheers

dd

On 1/29/2018 at 12:18 AM, dede said:

Sonar people: anybody compiled a thread where we could suggest to each other ways to do "usual Sonar things" in Samplitude?

No such thread here that I've seen, but quite a few ex-Sonarians discussing teething problems with Samplitude. Kraznet's reply to you should make it possible for you to find your plugins. Let us know if that didn't work. Meantime, what's your first step that doesn't work for you in setting up a project? (Can't do everything at once) :)
Kraznet's videos are great, and I have found this PDF tutorial helpful.

On 05/02/2018 at 10:37 PM, Larry Jones said:

No such thread here that I've seen, but quite a few ex-Sonarians discussing teething problems with Samplitude. Kraznet's reply to you should make it possible for you to find your plugins. Let us know if that didn't work. Meantime, what's your first step that doesn't work for you in setting up a project? (Can't do everything at once) :)
Kraznet's videos are great, and I have found this PDF tutorial helpful.

Larry, thanks for you post, and many thanks for the tutorial, can't understand why it is not included in the install/download when yuo purchase the product in  the first place. Very useful.

My issues are with VST menu, I see my plugins now but it is a mess in terms of organisation. In OSnar I starte dby creating my custom plugin layout (I do that in SF for ages and it is not as nice and clear looking as in Sonar but it helps.

i couldn't make in X3 yet.

But I stopped caring about custom plugin layout when SOnar improved its browser to include the search field.

I just type "ULT" and I see my Ultra-Maximizers already, very fast and easy.

Is there a browser with search for plugins?

Another thing is VSTi, can't I just create a simple instrument track as in Sonar?

That's killing me.

For the rest 'layouts, skins, project templates ) I really need to spend some time with X3 before I complain, it is difficult (I use my DAW daily as my actual job, so I cna't spend a lot of time learning  cause I need to deliver, so I keep going back to Sonar to get things done fast and easy)

I hope to have some free time to dive into creating a simple project and doing some serious work soon, and meanwhile watching the videos and reading that tutorial would help, I guess..

thanks a lot, cheers

dd

On 2/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, dede said:

My issues are with VST menu, I see my plugins now but it is a mess in terms of organisation.

You can use Windows File Explorer to organize your VST plugins. Make folders for the various types of plugins (reverbs, compressors, etc) and put the plugin .dlls into them. If they don't show up in Samplitude you can re-scan and/or add the new folders to the scan path. It's not an ideal solution but it will help you tame the list of plugins. Somebody made a tool to help with this task, but I can't find a link to it now, and the person who made it seems not to be around these days.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, dede said:

My issues are with VST menu, I see my plugins now but it is a mess in terms of organisation.

Another Samp user posted this custom-made utility ib another thread:

I tried it and it has a slight learning curve but works well and helped me clean up my plugin menu.

vst-menu.jpg

I am an official SONAR Refugee,too. I love that DAW and hope the new info on BandLab's new venture regarding the old Cakewalk/SONAR DAW points to some sunny days ahead for SONAR users. But I gotta say, I am more than happy with my Samplitude Pro X3 rig, and will be using it as my primary DAW, alongside my old stand-by, Studio One 3, for a long time to come. I am sold. I have basic lite versions of about every commercial DAW available on a laptop we use for songwriting, just to check A/B variations on workflow within each individual DAW. For a basic DAW, ACID is the one of the best. We have had a copy of basic ACID since back in the Sonic Foundry daze,so there has been some familiarity on the switch over to the MAGIX line of products.  Big fan of ACID, such an easy to use, intuitive DAW that can produce some amazing recordings.So awesome Pro X3 syncs it all together. Thanks for all the info on this forum!