Sign in to follow this  
Larry Jones

Scarlett Headphone Mix [SOLVED]

Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to set up a separate mix in Samplitude X3 for headphone monitoring? This is mainly for overdubbing vocals, and I am getting nowhere trying to find the answer on my own. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st generation with Focusrite MixControl. I set up an Aux bus in Samplitude and assign it to outputs 3&4. The channel sends are prefader. In MixControl I think I am sending "DAW 3&4" to the headphone outs, but I'm hearing nothing. This is a project studio and I work alone. I've never tried this before in my previous DAW (SONAR), I have to say I have always found MixControl to be rather opaque -- I just don't get it -- but this must be something that everybody needs to do, so I know I must be missing a step somewhere.

For what it's worth, MixControl has been replaced in 2nd gen products by Focusrite Control. I'm told it's easier to use, but I don't have it.

What I've done is to follow some advice I found in December here. I add a submix track I call "PreMaster", select all my tracks and send them to that rather than to the Master. I then send "PreMaster" to the master, and put all my plugins into that for mastering. I put no plugins into the master channel.

I then make two AUX tracks - one is "Speakers" and the other is "Headphones". I send Speakers (with an ARC2 plugin in the track) to my speakers and "Headphones" to my headphones channel. (It appears identifying the correct channel for headphones is the main thing eluding you - cannot help with that.)

I then set the PreMaster Aux to the Speakers at 0db, as I only use those for mastering. I do this in this way so that the ARC2 treatment never gets printed into my Master bounces.

For a headphone mix, I set the tracks up each with an AUX send to "Headphones" and control the mix with the volumes sent from each track.

I don't know if that is all you needed to know, but that is working for me.

Terry

17 hours ago, TerryBritton said:

(It appears identifying the correct channel for headphones is the main thing eluding you - cannot help with that.)

Thanks, Terry. I gather the MOTU has better labeling than the Scarlett WRT headphone mixes.

12 hours ago, Acky said:

I don’t use Focusrite Mixcontrol now, but when I was trying to work out what goes where, I found this video helpful. It’s not Samplitude specific, but may be of help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=M1avPHhiGw8

Acky - The interface that guy is using in the video has so many inputs that he can put together a headphone mix using the foldbacks from his mic inputs. I want to set up a headphone mix from the DAW. If I were a commercial studio I'd have a fancier interface, but I mostly work alone, and I can live with the (slight) roundtrip latency. The video didn't answer my question, but it did give me some ideas to try, so thank you!

OK, it turns out I was doing everything right, but I didn't know this one crucial bit of information: The left headphone jack on the Scarlett 6i6 is internally hardwired to the main monitor mix, or DAW 1&2. If you have a second mix coming out of DAW 3&4 you have to plug in to the other headphone jack to hear it. Once I switched jacks, all was good! Hope this helps some future MixControl user.

5 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

OK, it turns out I was doing everything right, but I didn't know this one crucial bit of information: The left headphone jack on the Scarlett 6i6 is internally hardwired to the main monitor mix, or DAW 1&2. If you have a second mix coming out of DAW 3&4 you have to plug in to the other headphone jack to hear it. Once I switched jacks, all was good! Hope this helps some future MixControl user.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! Who would have guessed?!??

Good thing to know - thanks for sharing your update, and I'm happy you have it sorted out! :-)

Terry