Larry Jones

Vocal Comping [SOLVED]

If I intend to record a bunch of vocal takes and comp them together, is there a certain record mode I should be in when recording? I tried a couple of takes and when I opened the Take Composer I saw two "tracks," but they were the same take. Do I have to put each take on a separate track? Sorry, I've only done this in SONAR, where each track can display all the takes on that track in layers.

Hi Larry

I’m in the middle of trying to become fluent with Samplitude recording workflow too (I'm a Samplitude newbie from Sonar) and have found Kraznet’s videos very helpful in this respect. The way I understand it is that you set up loop record to do some passes of what you’re recording (lets say it’s a vocal) When you’re done, highlight (select) the vocal takes on the track (it will look like there’s only one) and open up the ‘take manager’. There you will see the takes you’ve done in the loop recording. If you play the project and put a tick on one of the takes in the take manager, that’s the one you’ll hear.

The other way is to choose ‘take composer’ in the ‘take manager’. That will open up a new window where you now see the actual vocal takes as objects. (it’s a bit like Sonar ‘lanes’ but it’s in a separate window) There you can pick the bits of vocal that you want to use and comp the takes (similar to Sonar). When you’re done, close the take composer and you’ll be given the opportunity to save your comp.

What I would like to see in Samplitude is a straight forward way to be able to just drag the takes and peel them off one by one and put them on separate tracks.

The workaround I’ve been trying is to open up the take composer, and in the main VIP window, create some empty tracks and then highlight the takes in the take composer and drag them into the empty VIP tracks.

I’m really hoping Samplitude in the future will provide a Sonaresque ‘sound on sound’ recording protocol so that we can record a few takes on the same track and easily move them around.

Or, have a menu option to convert takes to tracks, where you right click the takes object and have something like ‘place layers on separate tracks’.

Or, while loop recording, the option to ‘record looped takes as new tracks’

The workaround I’ve been trying is to open up the take composer, and in the main VIP window, create some empty tracks and then highlight the takes in the take composer and drag them into the empty VIP tracks.

There is an easier way to drag the individual takes the different tracks. After you've done your multiple takes, right click on the object and you will see a list of the takes. Switch to the take you want to put on the track below and left click shift/ctrl/drag it downwards. Select the next take and copy below the previous one. When you're done Ctrl/left click on the top track and set it to the first take. Then you have a bunch of sequential takes on separate tracks without needing to open the take composer. Not as fast as having the option to explode takes 2 separate tracks but at least it's usable.

Regards, Kraznet

5a7721bb2dd49_DragTakestonewtracks.thumb.gif.1e63598c6f67b9db2a323abdd5444ddf.gif

Thanks Kraznet, that looks a much more elegant solution! I’ll try that next time I’m practising my Samplitude skills!

What a great forum!

6 hours ago, Acky said:

The way I understand it is that you set up loop record to do some passes of what you’re recording (lets say it’s a vocal) When you’re done, highlight (select) the vocal takes on the track (it will look like there’s only one) and open up the ‘take manager’. There you will see the takes you’ve done in the loop recording. If you play the project and put a tick on one of the takes in the take manager, that’s the one you’ll hear.

Thank you, Acky. Are you saying I have to be in loop recording mode? I can't finish a vocal take, rewind manually, break for a minute and then record a second (or third or fourth) take? I'll try that today.

3 hours ago, Kraznet said:

After you've done your multiple takes, right click on the object and you will see a list of the takes.

Kraznet - Same question to you: Do I only get the list of takes if they were recorded in loop mode? I plan to try this again today, and I'm hoping Samplitude will allow me to stop and start recording vocal takes, rather than looping automatically. I like to do complete vocal takes of a song, and I'm usually not ready for take two immediately after finishing one take. :rolleyes:

I use Punch mode a lot on vocal work with In and/or Out markers. That way you can choose to keep recording after the punch in or have the recording stop at the punch out marker while the track continues or record multiple takes in just the punch section. Lots of flexibility with all the different methods/tools in Samp. 

Hi Larry,

Yes to confirm what Scott has just stated.  You don't necessarily need to record in loop mode. However in order for the takes to be available for comping they need to be of the same length. So I suggest you set up punch in and out markers and enable punch mode on the transport and turn of loop (if it's on). Then you can record at your leisure without worrying about recording in loop mode.

Regards, Kraznet

2 hours ago, Scott Shane said:

I use Punch mode a lot on vocal work with In and/or Out markers.

The "In/Out" markers are great. In the past I had to type in starting and ending points or create a range on the timeline. The markers work a lot better for me.

2 hours ago, Kraznet said:

...in order for the takes to be available for comping they need to be of the same length

That seems a weird requirement, especially with vocals. But thank you, I'll make sure I do it that way.

By the way, today I opened the project that gave me trouble yesterday, and was amazed to see both my vocal takes there when I went to the Take Composer. I haven't tried any recording or comping yet, but go figure.

That seems a weird requirement, especially with vocals. But thank you, I'll make sure I do it that way.

Yes I'm not sure it was always that way. I will do some further tests.

Regards, Kraznet

Okay sorry I misled you. I forgot there are options in the Take manager to "filter too short takes" which I had activated. So when this is unticked takes which are not the same length will still show up in the Take Composer or take manager.

Here's what it says in the help:

5a7788b9102c7_TakeManagerOptions.jpg.499c603e490a07e96521ed7a6cc2cf8c.jpg

5a7788cf2ff65_TMFilter.thumb.gif.eea4599385f8590a158ccd747ae69101.gif

5 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

Thank you, Acky. Are you saying I have to be in loop recording mode? I can't finish a vocal take, rewind manually, break for a minute and then record a second (or third or fourth) take? I'll try that today.

Hi Larry

Ah, I thought you were looking to record to a track in loop mode so that when you recorded to the end of the song or to the end a section of a song, Samplitude would automatically rewind to the beginning again for another take over the top of the one already done (like ‘record comp’ mode in Sonar)

Thanks for the helpful information Kraznet and Scott.

Thanks, everybody! I've been working on it today (because who cares about the Superbowl?), and I can't say everything is perfect, but I was able to record many vocal takes both in loop/punch mode and recording "wild," and comped together one good track. There might have been some anomalies in Samplitude behavior -- or maybe there was some pilot error -- but I'm getting more comfortable with this DAW. 

Summarizing,

• takes are, in fact recorded all in one track
  • you must select an object before opening the Take Manager
  • it's not mandatory when comping to use only objects that are the same length
  • Loop/punch recording works fine, but if you want to stop after each take, you can, and comping will still work

Onward to background vocals!

16 hours ago, Kraznet said:

Okay sorry I misled you. I forgot there are options in the Take manager to "filter too short takes" which I had activated. So when this is unticked takes which are not the same length will still show up in the Take Composer or take manager.

Yea the takes don't need to be the same length. I have comped freely without looping in the same way Larry wants to and it works fine.  I didn't know about the filtering. That's a useful feature.

Comping in Samp is very good, but my big complaint is that there is no easy way to preview the comp with other tracks playing too. In Sonar you could use "Dim Solo" so you could hear the comp in context with the other tracks for checking timing issues or intonation problems or just to see how it fits. I'm sure the first time I comped in Samp I was able to hear the other tracks, but last time I did it I had to setup some fiddly monitoring to do it.

2 hours ago, 35mm said:

Comping in Samp is very good, but my big complaint is that there is no easy way to preview the comp with other tracks playing too

This shouldn't be happening I just did a test project containing drums and electric piano. I then recorded a few passes of bass and opened it up in the Take Composer. Did some quick comping and of course I could hear the comping I was doing relative to the song in the VIP as well. This should be working by default so I'm not quite sure why you're having problems.

Regards, Kraznet

5 hours ago, 35mm said:

...my big complaint is that there is no easy way to preview the comp with other tracks playing too.

I didn't do anything special on my project yesterday, and when I opened the Take Composer I could hear the backing tracks along with whichever vocal take I soloed. I'm not at my PC now, but I would take a look at the type of solo you have set up. When in doubt, right-click on stuff, like the "solo" button itself, or maybe there's a global setting. No way you can comp a vocal without hearing the band.

NOTE: The "Dim Solo" feature in SONAR was darn handy, as in a normal mix I might sink a vocal track in a little, but for comping I want to hear it LOUD, so I'll know if I'm hitting the notes.