Sign in to follow this  
Wyoming

Define Separate Location for H2/HDP/HS for Wave Files

For each wave file that I import Samplitude creates a *.H2, *.HDP and *.HS file. If I import the wave file into the project (=copy file to project), then this is okay. But if I want to reference only a wave file from another place (copy to project = OFF), is there a way to tell Samplitude to store the H2/HDP/HS file in the project directory instead of the default (=wave file location)?

hi,

no you can't, *.H* files are always beside the wave file. If you move or delete them (when Samp is closed, if not you can't), Samp will recreate them when you open the project.

cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil!

Well this is really a problem if you want some of your files to be outside of your project!

I usually need this, because I do not like to have only one project per song. I prefer to have several projects for a song, each for a specific task like creating VST instrument tracks, recording and editing vocals, ..., mixing. And then I export (bounce) the final tracks to a song directory from where I import them to the following projects and do backups. There I do not want Samplitude to mess around! And there are 2 reasons why I do not want to copy those wave files to each project: First, I want that changes to the waves are automatically represented in all projects and second, I do not want to waste space on my disks!

So it seems the only solution is to create links to my wave files (mklink) in the project directory and import them from there into Samplitude. But that is quite cumbersome!

I'm far from being any sort of expert in the way Samplitude functions, but keep in mind that the fundamental objective of the software is that all editing is virtual: the underlying WAV files are not changed. It is my impression (from a couple of decades using this software) that these files are the containers for all those changes. This allows you a tremendous degree in flexibility for creating multiple versions, for  exploration of different textures, including bits of one track with different versions of others, etc, with each separate version always editable back to the original without effect on others. It's one of the most powerful features IMHO.

This has nagged me too. Samplitude feels a bit spammy the way it spreads those .H2 and .HDP files all over your file system. Some sort of option to store them in separate folder would be absolutely lovely.

The photo software RawTherapee already does a similar thing with photos: It has a "cache folder". I don't know how it keeps track of mapping the path to the external file to the file(s) in its own cache, but they seem to have solved that problem somehow.

In fact, Samplitude could just use the system temp folder (see the %TEMP% environment variable). This would be optimal, as people might have already set up a clean-up mechanism to get rid of old obsolete files in their Temp folder using a scheduled task.

I really don't understand what is wrong with theses files... sorry... why don't you want see them, where's the problem ? These files are necessary to show you the waves in the VIP, there're not temp files,  they must stay beside the wave files, and certainly not in a temp folder where they could be deleted at any time !

cheers !

Phil

I totally understand why some of you don't want to see them - and obviously we all know that they are necessary files but it would be cleaner, more organized and easier to navigate through WAV files if the Samp "H*" files had their own directory and weren't mixed in with the WAV files. Sonar used to (or maybe they still do) have the option to store their associated files in a separate directory and I wouldn't be surprised if other DAWs have that option, and I think that this would be a nice option to have in Samp. 

my folders are organized by Type, so I have no probem to navigate... ;)

Cheers !

Phil

They are not "necessary". If you remove them, they will be rebuilt automatically the next time you load the .VIP file.

They don't need to be in the same folder. Samplitude just needs to be able to map a .wav file to the corresponding .HDP and .H2 files, whereever these are configured to be stored. Just like RawTherapee does.

Imagine people also using different kinds of software (Acid, Soundforge, whatever) that also leaves similar files next to your .wav files. It could become quite a mess.

Also, whenever I've made a folder full of .wav files ready to be exported to someone else who is not using Samplitude, I have to clean up the mess, because I don't want to deliver a folder full of "gunk". This looks unprofessional and can even cause confusion.

I would say get used to it. This has been like this forever, and I don't think it will be changed.

Georg

Like PhilW says, sort your directory by "Type" and you will not notice this as clutter anymore.

Terry

The OP has a valid concern and responses like "get used to it" are unproductive.

It would be much better for file management, backup etc. if all the clutter files could be stored in one location. It is not a complicated matter of coding to achieve this. In fact, it's trivial.

This would also be good in cases where read-only media are being used.

I would like to second this as a feature request.

Thanks for the answers, there has been said a lot that is true.

But my concern is more using wave files OUTSIDE OF THE PROJECT folder and I do not like Samplitude to mess around there, i.e. I do not mind if those H* files are aside with their wave files within the project directory (even if I agree with JoaCHIP that it would be better to separate them). It is very uncommon that an application creates help files outside of the project directory when you reference files anywhere on the system. And IMHO it is not always a good solution to copy all files to the project if you want that there exists only 1 single version!

On 3/2/2018 at 12:03 AM, TerryBritton said:

Like PhilW says, sort your directory by "Type" and you will not notice this as clutter anymore.

Terry

I do not completly agree with that. For sure like that you have your waves together, but if you have other files too, then those are also sorted out of your view. And that's probably not want you want! And 2nd: If you backup those folders (I do), then you have always to exclude those annoying H* files!

On 3/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, robin746 said:

The OP has a valid concern and responses like "get used to it" are unproductive.

It would be much better for file management, backup etc. if all the clutter files could be stored in one location. It is not a complicated matter of coding to achieve this. In fact, it's trivial.

This would also be good in cases where read-only media are being used.

I would like to second this as a feature request.

Well reasoned!

I agree that the coding would be simple and it is also no problem to implement backwards compatibility.

2 hours ago, Wyoming said:

I do not completly agree with that. For sure like that you have your waves together, but if you have other files too, then those are also sorted out of your view. And that's probably not want you want! And 2nd: If you backup those folders (I do), then you have always to exclude those annoying H* files!

you make backup without H* files ? How do you backup, just curious ? I always use the option in Samp to backup complete project, it's so easy and clean, and it saves H* files beside the wave. If I need to reload a backup, all is here, no missing files, no problem.

I don't really understand your first sentence. When files are sorted by type, what is out of view ? I often have pdf or doc files in the folder for project info, and it's so easy to see files by type instead of mixed, first doc, then h*, VIP, waves, etc, just use the mouse wheel to navigate. I use to have details in the folder, I like to see dates and weight for example.

Cheers !

Phil

My major backups are not on projects depending on a DAW, they are just containing independant audio files that can be used in any music software. I just make project backups for a shorter term, say a year or so (until I release an album).

The reason for that is a long history, first recording on tape recorders, then on harddisk recorders and finally working with several softwares. You can never be sure when you backup a project whether you will/can use the same DAW/recorder in the future, you never know whether the future version will be compatible, you never know if the company still exists (see cakewalk), you never know whether all plugins will be there and will be compatible. Thus when you backup all your recorded wave files, all your laborious tracks saved as wave files and all your MIDI tracks as wave files (and as MIDI), you will be safe for future use of that material, IMHO.

Regarding the sort order (by type) I use this rarely, because in my song folders (outside of DAW projects) I have some header files with notes that I start with # (that they are on top when sorted by name) and below there are files starting with the track numbers (waves, midi and others). Like that I have quite a good overview and find quickly the files I need (there are even more conventions in the names). I do not have to scroll all the time. But this is only my way to work, I am aware that this is not practical for everyone.

ok I fully understand now your way to audio archiving. I was mainly talking about backup only, i.e. what you call "backups for a short term", that's why I keep all the files in them. But for audio archiving, I agree that if you export waves, you don't need H*.

The option that could be nice is simply let the user choose if he needs or not the H* files when he use the Multitrack Bounce dialog. Then, instead of finish with all theses unnecessary files, if it's audio archiving, you export only the waves files. If you know you will use theses exports in Sampliquoia, you could let the bounce function creating H*.

After all, it's just a radio button to tick or not in the Bounce dialog... ;)

Cheers !

Phil